HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 1:29 AM

Olympic Village and surrounding areas

Today there was a nice, clear, day and I finally had a chance to take some pictures of the Olympic Village construction site and general views from there towards Yaletown other surrounding areas.
Enjoy

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 1:40 AM
Vancouver Moderator

thanks for posting. I love the one with benches facing BC Place - spectacular. It's my new wallpaper now for both Windows XP and Ubuntu machines =)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 3:34 AM

Too bad the fence was in the way for that one. I was literally on my toes getting strange looks from people. If you want a high res file, let me know...then you can cut that part out.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 4:11 AM

awesome pics!!! can't wait to see it completed, it'll definitely be one of the best Olympic Villages yet.

btw, is this a heron?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 4:28 AM

^^ Yes it is. Blends in with the colour of the rocks quite nicely...I almost missed it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 6:50 AM
Cheers!

I was also walking around there today, probably soon after these photos. The mountains looked absolutely amazing with all the recent snow. Most of the time I find many of the condos look pretty fugly, but they show their best as the sun is setting. The reflection off all the glass looks really nice. I wasn't blown away by the new walking area, but what do you expect at this point. It's just a small sliver of the entire project. I'm probably more interested in how W.1st Ave will turn out over the years. Right now it basically looks like an alley in a rough part of south London or something. With the new streetcar going in, multi-level buildings, sidewalks etc. it should be interesting to see the change in 5 years.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 9:12 PM

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 9:01 AM

Nice, Zivan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
I was also walking around there today, probably soon after these photos. The mountains looked absolutely amazing with all the recent snow. Most of the time I find many of the condos look pretty fugly, but they show their best as the sun is setting. The reflection off all the glass looks really nice. I wasn't blown away by the new walking area, but what do you expect at this point. It's just a small sliver of the entire project. I'm probably more interested in how W.1st Ave will turn out over the years. Right now it basically looks like an alley in a rough part of south London or something. With the new streetcar going in, multi-level buildings, sidewalks etc. it should be interesting to see the change in 5 years.
I walked through SEFC a couple of weeks ago. I agree that much of the skyline looks fugly with so many similar Concord towers. At night however that view redeems itself and looks spectacular with all the glass condos emitting/reflecting light.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:12 AM
Cheers!

So pretty much what I said.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 11:22 PM

I didn't want to create a new thread for these...plus it provides a nice before-and-after effect.

All pics taken by me today.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos