HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:27 PM

Japanese Tea Garden reopening-S.A.

Japanese Tea Garden reopening after $1.6 million renovationSan Antonio

Business Journal - by Donna J. Tuttle

After lying dormant for five years, The Japanese Tea Garden will re-open on Saturday, March 8, from 10 a.m. to noon.

The ceremony is free and open to the public. Activities include music by a Japanese middle school choir and exhibits on origami and Japanese calligraphy.

The garden has been closed and ponds empty while the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department and the San Antonio Parks Foundation completed a $1.6 million renovation that included restoring the popular 60-foot waterfall, lush gardens and the Koi pond.

"We just placed 53 Koi in last week, and we'll add more before the grand re-opening," says Teresa Keck, vice president of special events for the San Antonio Parks Foundation.

The project was a public-private venture, funded by the City of San Antonio, the Parks Foundation, and Friends of the Parks.

The park is located in Brackenridge Park near the San Antonio Zoo and was first opened in 1919. It was built using prison labor at a cost of $7,000, according to City of San Antonio history.

In 1926, at the city's invitation, Kimi Eizo Jingu, a local Japanese-American artist, moved to the garden and opened the Bamboo Room, where light lunches and tea were sold.

The Jingu family, including eight children, lived at the Tea Garden in the two-story stone house. Mabel Jingu, an 82-year-old daughter of artist Jingu, arrived in San Antonio this week and will attend the re-opening with her family. "Mabel told us that while they were growing up, the children were awakened every morning by the roar of the hungry lions," Keck says.

The garden is a designated Texas Civil Engineering Landmark, a Registered Texas Historic Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Is this the place also known as the Sunken Gardens? If it is, I was there a long time ago and thought it was pretty cool. I like plants and gardens almost as much as skyscrapers.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 5:11 PM

does anyone remember going across the garden in the sky lift. if now we could only bring that back

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
does anyone remember going across the garden in the sky lift. if now we could only bring that back
I miss the sky ride Maybe someone will build another someday? *prays*

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 10:30 PM
Meh

Really, so the sky ride in Brackenridge Park near the zoo is closed now? Sad. I have fond memories of going there with my family when I was little when we'd go to the zoo. I'd like to go back to the zoo again. I miss that.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 11:45 PM

The skyride has been out of service for some time now.

More on Sunken Gardens

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1442372275

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 1:09 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

This is such a treasure for the city.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:58 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio