HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Cool.
Is there a sign that says "Simpsons"? or do you mean Spencers, which was taken over by Eatons (before it moved to Pacific Centre), then Sears when it was converted to Harbour Centre.

I can see a very ornate facade on Hastings across from a theatre that says Odeon Hasting Theatre on its alley side. I think one of those two is the second Pantages - is that right?
There's a Simpson's sign on top of a building in the upper-left corner. Towards where Canada Place would be. Pretty much where the Steamworks Pub is now.

Mark

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:26 PM
Website Manager

Fantastic! I love seeing these.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
There's a Simpson's sign on top of a building in the upper-left corner. Towards where Canada Place would be. Pretty much where the Steamworks Pub is now.

Mark
I vaguely recall that same "Simpson's" logo as a ghost on the outside of the Sears store where we always shopped when I was growing up.

I was told that Simpson's was bought by Sears in the late 50's and became Simpson's Sears - and Gramma would say "they've done downhill ever since".

She may have hated shopping there, but loved the sales.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:

Mark
Thanks!

That is very interesting - it is, indeed, the logo of the Robert Simpson Co.
(which was taken over by HBC in the 1980s and which had flagship store in Toronto (now The Bay, Queen Street) and on Ste Catherines in Montreal (now a mall with a Cineplex?).

I thought that they only had stores in and around Ontario and Quebec (other than the joint venture with Sears which yielded Simpsons-Sears). The former Spencer department store at Harbour Centre was a "Sears" during the 1980s (maybe Simpsons-Sears before that) after Eaton's moved to Pacific Centre.

Does anyone know if the location at "The Landing" was a retail store or whether it was a warehouse (for shipments from overseas?)

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 21, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:31 AM
See ya down under, mates

I used to work in the Spencer Building and even in the 21st century we had elderly people looking for Sears/Eatons in there.

Like most retail they made it as lengthy a trip as possible to get from one floor to the next so it's a pain as a school/office.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=officedweller;

Does anyone know if the location at "The Landing" was a retail store or whether it was a warehouse (for shipments from overseas?)[/QUOTE]

During the mid 70's my dad had an office in that building (cheap rent). I was only 5 or 6 years old but do remember some of it. The building was mostly empty at that time with a few small start up companies there. My dad's one person office was the only tenant on the whole floor and I remember running around the dusty dirty open floor. The elevator was one of the old style swing doors with an operator.

Basically during this period, it was mostly empty.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:52 AM

Those two air photos from 50s are amazing! To be honest, I wouldn't recognize this city if there would be no hints or context. Just incredible how much has happened so fast.

What's that huge building that has been replaced with horrible Sears-building since?

I also love seeing trams roaming the streets back then!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Cool.
Is there a sign that says "Simpsons"? or do you mean Spencers, which was taken over by Eatons (before it moved to Pacific Centre), then Sears when it was converted to Harbour Centre.

I can see a very ornate facade on Hastings across from a theatre that says Odeon Hasting Theatre on its alley side. I think one of those two is the second Pantages - is that right?
The sign font on the building (now The Landing) looks like that of Simpson's department store, though I wasn't aware they had a branch in Vancouver. Spencer's is just to the left of it.

In suburbs like Richmond & Burnaby the original Sears were a joint venture, known as Simpsons-Sears.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

In suburbs like Richmond & Burnaby the original Sears were a joint venture, known as Simpsons-Sears.
Before the refurbishment of the Sears in Surrey Place/Central City mall in Whalley to Futureshop and T&T, you could still see the old Simpson-Sears sign outline on the side of the building underneath the newer Sears logo.

My dad still calls Sears "Simpson-Sears"...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 3:30 PM

here's a great shot of the CPR Vancouver yards, circa 1953

photo by: http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...ver_aerial.htm

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:58 PM

That's a really cool photo of the rail yards. I found a slightly different angle of the same rail yards but from 7 years earlier, 1946...

http://vintageairphotos.com/bo-46-146/

And while I'm here, I just added an awesome photo you guys would probably be interested in. It's downtown Vancouver featuring the new Post Office, still under construction, from 1956. Another great view of the city skyline from the 50's.

http://vintageairphotos.com/bo-56-400/

Mark

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:52 PM

wow I didnt realize how old that parkade at georgia and richards was.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:24 PM

That second one is great - you can see the location of the two old threatres - can't recall the names, one was the Strand and maybe the Opera House - one mid-block on Granville where Sears is and the other at Georgia & Seymour.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 12:54 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

thanks again!

the 1st pic you can see the GAS sign on the big oil container that was in NE False Creek. .... awesome!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 6:24 AM

And all those houses in the south eastern part of downtown, wow.
I really get a kick out of seeing the Shell sign on top of the Vancouver Block.
And this also shows the Bay before the metal awnings went up...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 5:03 PM
That's no excuse!

Quote:
And while I'm here, I just added an awesome photo you guys would probably be interested in. It's downtown Vancouver featuring the new Post Office, still under construction, from 1956. Another great view of the city skyline from the 50's.

http://vintageairphotos.com/bo-56-400/

Mark
For a fun comparison, here's that vintageairphotos.com image (bo-56-400) distored as an overly with how it looks in 2012. Thanks to MarkP for use of the image.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 6:31 PM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

I quickly did up a hover image to see before / after. Here is the link: http://jsfiddle.net/gLvrC/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 9:37 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaportrail View Post
For a fun comparison, here's that vintageairphotos.com image (bo-56-400) distored as an overly with how it looks in 2012. Thanks to MarkP for use of the image.

What's the building with the Empire State-style roof that's in roughly the same location as the Fairmont Pacific Rim? I feel like I should know this.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 9:43 PM
Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
What's the building with the Empire State-style roof that's in roughly the same location as the Fairmont Pacific Rim? I feel like I should know this.
You mean the Marine Building?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 6:46 AM
See ya down under, mates

Yes I guess I do. And it's still there of course - I should look up more often.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos