HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 1:52 PM
Baryonic Lord

This is good news...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 2:24 AM

isn't this where the hospital was suppose to go?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 2:36 AM

Yes.

It's the southwest corner of Main and Alabama. It's currently a very large vacant block.

It is directly across the street from Julia's Bistro and near the Breakfast Klub, T'afia, Tacos-A-Go-Go, The Continental Club, The Big Top, and the beautiful Isabella (Spanish styled) Apartments from the 1920s. It would be served by the Ensemble Theatre lightrail stop one block away.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
in some REALLY good news,

The HBJ reports today that the second tower of the Mosaic broke ground this week officially after funding was secured. The first tower has seen excellent sales (218 units have SOLD).
I've noticed that the back side of the complex, viewed from 288, looks a little, well, industrial. I hope white isn't the finished color, but I can't tell from the partial scaffolding whether anything else is going to be done in the way of cladding.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Oh, and the Turnberry Tower should be completed by Dec. 2009:http://houston.bizjournals.com/houst...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
That would explain why I didn't see a tower crane on the site.

But I did see at least one in the Galleria area, at least 15 in the Medical Center area, and a few dotting the Sam Houston Tollway in the direction of I-10.

The Med Center itself is absolutely amazing. When I was last in Houston in January 2004, they were starting to work on the complex south of Holcombe and east of the old Prudential Building. Now it's all infilled.

And there appears to be no shortage of new projects on either side of Main Street. It rivals whatever Dallas thinks they have going on just north of downtown...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALMSP View Post
i often wonder how Houston would look if we combined all of our "downtowns" (downtown, med center, greenway, greenspoint, and the galleria).....would be pretty impressive!
Take the northbound flyover from 610 eastbound to 288 and you'll get an idea.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera with me on this trip, so you'll have to take my word for it. Or ask one of the local Houston photogs to try to take that shot without getting run over...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latennisguy View Post
It is absolutely amazing..and huge! Driving from 610 E to 288 north (look left) and the view is spectacular...from that angle you can see almost a continuous skyline.
It certainly is.

Sam Houston Tollway northbound from Main Street to I-10 is quite a shock for someone who hasn't been to the city in four years. BTW, how old is the Technip Tower?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 5:02 AM

yes, the 610/288 north is a great view of the entire city........if there was more room on the bridge probably could stop and get a pic.....guess i'll have to do it some sunday morning bright and early!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 2:50 PM

Main Place will be a nice structure in the skyline but it pains me that it will not do anything for Main at street level. Surprising being a block over from Main Street Square. Hopefully the design will not include skywalks and tunnel access. Atleast Hines' garage across the street will have retail. Hopefully that will look a little better when some life and color is added at the bottom of the structure.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 3:21 PM

Here's the rendering for the Buffalo Bayou Partnership's plan to turn the old Sunset Coffee Bldg. downtown into a canoe/kayak/restaurant/office space for the organization/event space. Lake Flato is the architectural firm of record.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 3:49 PM

Nice!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 5:15 PM
H-town Baller

Very nice, indeed. Let's get 'er done!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post
Main Place will be a nice structure in the skyline but it pains me that it will not do anything for Main at street level. Surprising being a block over from Main Street Square. Hopefully the design will not include skywalks and tunnel access. Atleast Hines' garage across the street will have retail. Hopefully that will look a little better when some life and color is added at the bottom of the structure.
Where'd you get the idea it will do nothing for Main at street level? I believe the plans include street level retail, including on Main Street.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 6:38 PM
Baryonic Lord

Is that you shasta on the chron commons?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 7:51 PM

Post Properties is getting ready to build another midtown apartment community. This one will be located on Richmond Avenue, Milam, and Colquitt. It will be called Richmond Landing.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 3:03 AM

i'm trying to think of what open area is over there............is there a link?? i hope they continue with their Post Rice and my place Post Midtown with groundlevel retail/restaurants

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:23 PM

This needs ground floor retail. If you've ever lived in a place like this, which I won't do again, on the ground floor you'll know why. It's nothing but people staring into your apartment. For a store that's good, but for an apartment, that's bad. Opening the blinds or curtains is a nice thing to do, and the bottom to top blinds aren't any good. I already tried those.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:18 PM
Endless Moments...

I totally agree. There needs to be ground retail. That is how you will get people walking about and really give it more a positive atmosphere. Midtown is getting denser by the day...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 10:27 PM
H-town Baller

Richmond @ Milam? That'd be a nice corner for that type of development. And only a block west of the Main Street Line.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston19514 View Post
Where'd you get the idea it will do nothing for Main at street level? I believe the plans include street level retail, including on Main Street.

I didn't read anything about Hines' project having retail. Discovery Tower but not Hines' Main Place. Maybe you read some other source I do not know about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations