HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 1:44 AM

Did they ever say where it is being relocated to? I wonder if they're going to put it at the new courthouse.

No mention of Casa di Pizza planning to open in Ellicott Commons? With Get Dressed Buffalo potentially moving in and Washington Market in the same complex it'll be a nice nucleus of hopefully something larger taking hold. Now if we can only convince M&T to sell-off those parking lots across the street.

I know Steel doesn't like the the fake new construction on the left, but it works for me.

Remember what this looked liked just a couple years ago? Hard to see that it is the same building:

Last edited by westcoastperspective; Oct 1, 2006 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 7:55 PM
Great White Norf

^ certainly is a great improvement, no matter whom you're talking with.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 12:34 AM
seriously

Incredible improvement! Thanks for the Before/After pics! The previous condition of that building made it difficult to see how valuable it could be.

I guess it's more of an "in-process" pic because the true After pic will be when the third building is up.

BTW I don't think the new build is really a fake design of old styles. It looks relatively modern, except for the dental molding maybe.

Either way, I'll take it.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 5:22 PM
try being in the Buff

Krudmart http://www.krudmart.com/ opens its first retail outlet on Elmwood in Allentown. Krudmart is the nationaly known ultra hipster irreverent graphic t-shirt supply / design house.

Last edited by steel; Oct 3, 2006 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 11:41 PM

Offices, housing planned for vacant federal building
Business First of Buffalo - 4:54 PM EDT Mondayby James FinkBusiness First

The development partnership that is in the process of acquiring the Dulski Federal Building in downtown Buffalo has revealed its plans for the Delaware Avenue structure.

The joint Acquest Development/Uniland Development Co. partnership, which is paying $6.1 million for the 400,000-square-foot building plans on bringing a mix of office space and residential units to the facility.

The Acquest/Uniland tandem was the winning bidder for the property, which was auctioned in August by the federal General Services Administration.

The 35-year-old Dulski Building has been vacant since the GSA moved 33 offices to other locations after it determined it was less expensive to lease space than rehab the building. All but three of the offices remained in downtown Buffalo.

"The large, open floor plates afford multiple possibilities," said Michael Montante, Uniland vice president.

Once the deal closes, Montante said renovations will begin. He is targeting work to start in the first quarter of 2007. The work includes a new facade.

A total project cost will be determined once final architectural plans are reviewed. The plans will include how much space is dedicated towards office use and how much will be residential.

Acquest and Uniland jointly own the Niagara Center on Elmwood Avenue, a facility that houses many of the agencies who moved from the Dulski Building.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 12:23 AM
seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue B
...Once the deal closes, Montante said renovations will begin. He is targeting work to start in the first quarter of 2007. The work includes a new facade...
Well there ya go.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 6:09 PM

Here's a slighty more detailed article about the Dulski building renovations.

Bid accepted for Dulski Building, heralding new look, multiple uses
By SHARON LINSTEDT
NEWS STAFF REPORTER
10/3/2006

The Thaddeus J. Dulski Federal Office Building in downtown Buffalo will have a whole new look and new purpose as a private, mixed-use complex by late 2007.
The federal General Services Administration has officially accepted the $6.1 million online bid from UniQuest Delaware LLC, a local partnership, to buy the vacant 15-story structure.

The partnership, composed of Amherst-based Uniland Development Co. and Acquest Development of Buffalo, has big plans for the 35-year-old building at Delaware Avenue and West Huron Street.

"It's such a strong building because of its location, size and condition. It has well-sized, open floor plates that make it ideal for an upgrade to Class A office space and a multitude of other commercial uses," said Uniland Vice President Michael J. Montante.

Preliminary plans call for most of building's nearly 400,000 square feet of leaseable space to be used for offices, with a mix of retail, residential and hotel filling out the remainder.

Acquest President William L. Huntress said continued demand for state-of-the-art office space downtown bodes well for the Dulski Building conversion.

"There's probably 100,000 square feet of Class A tenancies out there to be signed right now," Huntress said. "We haven't identified specific tenants for this project, but I am not concerned about filling the building. It's going to be a beautiful, successful project."

The developer, who described the exterior of the building as "quite ugly," said that will change shortly.

"We plan to remove the entire skin and replace it with something lighter and much more attractive. It won't look like the same building," he said.

UniQuest also will strip out much of the interior, taking care of the structure's long-rumored "asbestos problem" in the process.

"It's not something dangerous or unusual, but it was difficult and expensive to do with tenants in the building. Now that it's vacant, it's a fairly routine situation to clean up," Montante said.

Uniland and Acquest studied the Dulski Building as they co-developed the nearby Niagara Centre at 130 S. Elmwood Ave., where several federal agencies have relocated. Their joint development resume includes the Federal Center at 138 Delaware Ave., which houses the U.S. attorney's office and Citizenship and Immigration Services.

GSA spokeswoman Renee Miscione said the agency is pleased with the price the Buffalo building attracted via the Internet auction, a first for a major Buffalo-area building.

"The auction went as we'd hoped, with the process self-extending through new bids as the deadline approached. We're very pleased with the outcome," Miscione said.

UniQuest, bidding under the code name "ABCDEFGH," beat out what turned out to be another Buffalo-area group, which called itself "ithaca."

"We had no idea who our competition was or where they were from, and it really didn't matter. We were focused on getting the building," Huntress said.

The GSA will hold a "decommissioning" ceremony once the sale closes to mark the building's government service.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2006, 5:27 AM
NIMBYcrusher9000

Quote:
"We plan to remove the entire skin and replace it with something lighter and much more attractive. It won't look like the same building," he said.
Awesome, Delaware will get Miami Vice Tower #3

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 4:38 PM

Hoyt calls for adding park along channel
By SHARON LINSTEDT

News Staff Reporter
10/9/2006

Robert Kirkham/Buffalo News
Land along the Black Rock Channel would become a park if arrangements and funding are worked out.

A state lawmaker proposes establishing a minipark on idle land along the Black Rock Channel.
Assemblyman Sam Hoyt, D-Buffalo, wants to convert a landlocked stretch of land between Porter Avenue and the Peace Bridge into a linear park. The roughly quarter-mile strip of land, owned by the State Thruway Authority, rises up from water level to the Niagara Thruway.

"I envision it as a wonderful promenade along the channel, with terraced areas cut into the slope above," Hoyt said, noting it was once part of Frederick Law Olmsted-designed Front Park.

"It's a natural public asset that was stolen by the development of the I-190 and the Peace Bridge plaza. This is a way to get it back for the public to enjoy," Hoyt said.

He said he took Michael R. Fleischer, Thruway Authority executive director, on a tour of the potential park site last month and received an enthusiastic response to the idea. Hoyt said Fleischer was supportive of transferring control of the land to the Buffalo Olmsted Park Conservancy.

Hoyt said the proposal also has received a positive reaction from officials of the State Canal Corp., Erie County and the city.

"I can say with confidence that this is a project that has an excellent chance of becoming a reality, possibly as early as next year. It doesn't require a great deal of debate, study or bureaucratic evaluation," Hoyt said.

Phase One of the project, estimated to cost $500,000 to $750,000, would involve installing a paved pathway, which would connect to Riverwalk just north of Porter Avenue. The pathway would extend nearly 2,000 feet through the new park toward the Peace Bridge, where it would rejoin the waterfront trail.

Subsequent phases would involve building terraced overlooks into steeper sections of the land above the promenade. No price tag has been placed on that additional development.

The strip of land varies in width from a few dozen feet to more than 60 yards when vertical areas are included. It would be accessible only by foot, bike or boat, not motor vehicles.

"This would not only offer fantastic views of the waterfront, the Canadian shoreline and sunsets, it will also be a great vantage point for watching West Side Rowing Club regattas. It will be like a natural grandstand," Hoyt said.

The lawmaker said the Thruway Authority could transfer the land as early as next spring, with work on Phase One commencing next summer.

Waterfront activist Jason McCarthy, who is working with Hoyt on the plan, said the land offers a unique opportunity.

"It could be a real oasis for those who like to hike and bike, and it could be extended beyond the Peace Bridge at some point, opening up even more of the waterfront to the public," McCarthy said.

e-mail: slinstedt@buffnews.com

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 6:06 PM
welcome to the madness

Hmm...I think I already saw this plan as an idea on Buffalo Rising Online. Way to be way ahead things BR0...love you guys!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 3:44 PM
seriously

Waterfront Condos

Erie Basin to get pricey new housing

...Townhouses originally scheduled to sell from $275,000 to $310,000 now will start at $450,000. Condo units, which were pegged at $250,000 to $540,000, will now cost as much as $1 million.

...Ellicott's Paul Gregory detailed plans for 15 townhouses, down from earlier plans for 25, that are expected to be under construction before the end of the year.

...Ranging in size from 2,200 to 2,700 square feet, the two- and three-level townhouses will all have 2 1/2-car garages, private ground-level patios and access to a residents-only park, directly behind their buildings.

...The units will be built in mini-phases, with the first four expected to be ready for occupancy next summer. The others will hit the market over the following 12 months as demand dictates.

The developer will submit plans to the city later this month for a 13-story, 48-unit condominium tower, to be located at the corner of Lakefront Boulevard and Waterfront Circle. That high-rise, which will be similar in stature to Admiral's Walk, will have lower-floor units starting at $260,000, with penthouse residences eclipsing $1 million.

The tower, which is expected to be under construction next summer, will be called The Pasquale, named for Paladino's uncle.

Full Article: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...11/1056565.asp

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 7:50 PM
welcome to the madness

Crazy...but I think a million dollar view in Buffalo deserves a taller tower. Hope the design is nice.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar
Crazy...but I think a million dollar view in Buffalo deserves a taller tower. Hope the design is nice.
My thoughts exactly. I was thinking, "Why not 26 floors?" It's as if we're " New Buffalo, MI" GEEZ!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:48 PM

In this week's Business First, Uniland says that the exterior for the Dulski will be "a slick, modernistic glass facade."

Also in the paper- Scott Street will become a 'boulevard' under new Inner Harbor development plans.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective
In this week's Business First, Uniland says that the exterior for the Dulski will be "a slick, modernistic glass facade."

Also in the paper- Scott Street will become a 'boulevard' under new Inner Harbor development plans.
Cant wait to get a peek. That glass will stand out well from a harbor view point.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 4:15 PM

LLLOOOOOOOkKKKKKKKK out the blizzard is here, aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

on a less comical side note however, many of the cities older neighborhoods may never be the same because of this storm with all these all these trees disfigured as they are.

Last edited by sullymon54; Oct 14, 2006 at 6:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 4:39 PM
Missing the Gorges

Growing up under the Ontario LES and 130 inches annually, you just don't know how much it amuses to hear about Buffalo getting so much snow so early.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 6:36 PM
welcome to the madness

^^^Yeah you guys in the 'Cuse usually get a lot more than we do. Of course I'm smiling down here in the Southern Tier--but my parents got buried in Clarence. Snow to the north, snow to the west, clouds and sun here! Cold though!

I heard that Buffalo lost 50% of its trees. Guess we'll need to do a major arbor day project this spring. Any ideas? West Coast--does the BRO community want to plan something? I see the site is down.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 7:28 PM

Not sure what is up with BRising- it was down before the storm. They may be switching to their new format/version, but I'm not sure.

Tree planting event- I was thinking the same thing- it is going to cost millions to get rid of all the wood debris and the damaged trees are going to be ripe for infestation and rot. It is a major crisis. Let's be honest, trees haven't been a top priority for the city for decades- it'll have to be grassroot. I'll float some emails around and see if there's interest and who is willing to take a lead.

Last edited by westcoastperspective; Oct 15, 2006 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 2:49 AM
try being in the Buff

I think they are down from the storm now.

Back in 1976 the city suffered through a major ice storm. Trees cracked and fell all over. probably not as bad as this though. They looked bad for a while and some how they regain their form and look decent. If the local politicians play their cards right they will get federal disaster money to replant.

Back in 77 they got all kinds of disaster money after the big Blizzard of 77. they even got money to fix chipped curbs (from snow plows) as if Buffalo never had snow plows before. silly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations