HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 8:46 PM

Looks like the building permit application for the hotel portion was submitted on October 3rd.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R245992

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 7:34 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGenPDXer View Post
Looks like the building permit application for the hotel portion was submitted on October 3rd.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R245992
That is good to know, I was wondering when they would begin demolition of the old Lotus bar.

Which in case anyone is wondering, the old bar at the Lotus is now at Back Stage off Hawthorne. In case anyone wants to get drunk at it again.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 3:50 PM

Exciting news! We are so far into the hotel construction boom that I've been worried this would not actually get built (shovels not in dirt yet, but one step closer!) This is just a great location for a hotel (other than the crowd that occupies the park across the street) with a spectacular view of Mt. Hood and Salmon Springs. Can't wait to find out what hotel brand will occupy this prime real estate!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:12 AM

Per a story ($) in the PBJ, NW Natural is taking all the space in the 3rd & Taylor office building.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 14, 2017 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The a story ($) in the PBJ, NW Natural is taking all the space in the 3rd & Taylor office building.
Aren't they located in the mirrored glass building at the Old Town MAX stop? If so, that will be quite the upgrade!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_pdxer View Post
aren't they located in the mirrored glass building at the old town max stop? If so, that will be quite the upgrade!
r2d2

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 12:36 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Per a story ($) in the PBJ, NW Natural is taking all the space in the 3rd & Taylor office building.
NW Natural had been looking at options to move out of their Old Town building, so this move to Downtown is not surprising. In fact, it is reason to celebrate the introduction of so many workers into that part of the central city. Furthermore, this will be an opportunity for the owner of the Old Town building to undertake work to improve that sad, anti-pedestrian monstrosity.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:18 PM

Heard from a reliable source that the hotel will be flying the Hyatt's new Unbound Collection flag.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:30 PM

Thanks Mark! Hyatt makes the sense to me. Following their award of the convention center hotel bid they've made a push into downtown - their new hotel in River Place is really comfortable and well-designed. Enjoyed my stay. Hopped onto the Hyatt site and there are only three or four other Unbound Collection hotels open across the country. Now lets get those permits through!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:36 PM

We could be looking at going from no Hyatt branded hotels in Downtown to four, in just a handful of years:
  • SW 3rd & Taylor: Unbound Collection by Hyatt
  • Convention Center: Hyatt Regency
  • Riverplace: Hyatt Place
  • SW 11th & Alder: Hyatt Centric

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
We could be looking at going from no Hyatt branded hotels in Downtown to four, in just a handful of years:
Hotel brands have lost their meaning. Marriott has 30 brands, Hilton has 14, etc. At the mid and upper levels, there's zero differentiation. For instance, newer Embassy Suites no longer have atrium or two room suites, just one room "jr suites". Last year i stayed at a brand new Residence Inn, the no longer had a kitchen. Just two built-in hot plates and an under the counter fridge.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:37 PM
A before E

Quote:
We are rapidly becoming a big city. It will be interesting to watch how Portland changes in the coming years. As impressive it is to have Hyatt moving into Portland, I hope this doesn't do anything to push out the small hotel companies in the city.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:09 AM

It appears that all activity on the two lots have stopped. Anybody have an speculation as to why?

It does look like both properties have had recent activity including a building permit for the office portion earlier this month. With NW Natural signed up I imagine they'd get started pretty quickly.

For the hotel portion, the Lotus block is still standing and the original demolition permit abandoned. Yet there's still recent permitting activities as recently as 1/10.

Perhaps this is all in a normal time frame however I look out at the block every day and it just seems to sit there. They have been doing exterior brick renovation to the Auditorium building.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:54 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
It appears that all activity on the two lots have stopped. Anybody have an speculation as to why?

It does look like both properties have had recent activity including a building permit for the office portion earlier this month. With NW Natural signed up I imagine they'd get started pretty quickly.

For the hotel portion, the Lotus block is still standing and the original demolition permit abandoned. Yet there's still recent permitting activities as recently as 1/10.

Perhaps this is all in a normal time frame however I look out at the block every day and it just seems to sit there. They have been doing exterior brick renovation to the Auditorium building.
I was wondering the same thing, I figured they would be busy digging out the hole right now, but every time I go by it seems like no activity. As for the hotel, I am guessing that will end up being dead because of all the hotels that have recently gone up that are probably affecting occupancy numbers. Which we might end up with the Lotus building being saved for a little while longer. Hopefully we didn't tear down the United Workmen Temple for nothing.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:58 PM

They're finally doing the asbestos/toxins abatement on the Lotus building.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:41 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
They're finally doing the asbestos/toxins abatement on the Lotus building.
I assume that means this whole project is moving forward...?

I was starting to worry when it looked like it stalled.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I assume that means this whole project is moving forward...?

I was starting to worry when it looked like it stalled.
I have the same worry as you. Until I see construction on site I'll remain skeptical that this one gets out of the ground due to the sheer number of hotel rooms that have/are coming online.

That said, the lot is still owned by HRI Lodging and is seeking a building permit. Incidentally HRI is also opening a Hyatt Unbound (which this is rumored to be flagged) in New Orleans this spring. I believe that will be the 5th Unbound in America.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:20 AM

There is activity on the permit as recently as last week. I would be surprised if the project stalls at this point given how much work and investment has gone into it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:44 PM

Great to hear!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:41 PM

After clearing the office portion of the lot work had stopped for several months, but the office portion is now underway!

Lotus is still standing and reboarded back up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland