HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 6:49 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
'Do hospitals make people age?' How did you arrive to that?

Those already existing places would not do more business if they're already at capacity. The wait times to receive service would just grow longer and the staff would become overworked while the quality of care decreases. You can only squeeze so many doctors in the ER.

Hospitals at capacity require additional hospitals and staff to service the growing demand for those services.
New hospitals generally don't wait for everyone else to hit capacity.

Also capacity is a big gray area. Many things can be done, from extra opening hours for hospital functions to non-hospital organizations expanding their services.

Even if the result is more services sold, you're talking about a very incremental addition -- a fraction of the volume of work at the new hospital. You don't get to count the whole thing as net added activity.

And those additional services come from the same regional buying power...they're (mostly) not new money. If someone is finally dealing with that mole on their nose, they're not spending that money elsewhere.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Yes, Illinois has a spending problem, but we're not alone! NY, KS, SC, NV, CT, MA, HI, KY, RI, AK, TX, CO, WA, PA, NJ, and MN are all good company

https://www.usgovernmentdebt.us/comp...ding_2018bH0an
It does make me wonder how these states you mention can afford to offer the generous incentives that Amazon desire, without breaking the bank.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Agreed! Some cities will be victims of their own success. I would add NYC and Boston to the list of cities with growing pains.

The only reason why I don't rank Chicago higher is due to their long-term fiscal health of the city and State. Fiscal health is one of the main rating factors and was implied how important it is throughout the RFQ.
This is one of the reasons why people consider Dallas and Atlanta frontrunners, despite being in red states.

Besides the cities/states being very business-friendly, they're amongst the most fiscally well-run cities/states in the country.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
10 Shortlist predictions

Philly
Newark
NYC (although they will not be ultimately selected)
Boston
DC
Atlanta
Austin
DFW
Denver
Chicago

A few longshot predictions

San Diego, Des Moines, Houston, Louisiana, Alberta, Tampa-St. Pete, and Montreal
I'm going to disagree somewhat with your list:

My List

1. Atlanta
2. Dallas
3. Philadelphia
4. Chicago
5. Washington D.C.
6. Boston
7. Denver

Dark Horses

Nashville, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Newark

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
It does make me wonder how these states you mention can afford to offer the generous incentives that Amazon desire, without breaking the bank.
S-17, generally the incentive package most states are offering are not direct payment to Amazon. They are giving up future tax revenue from Amazon.

Concerning the Healthcare/Hospital multiplier, surely you have to discount the number considering 21% of the Federal budget annually is allocated for this expense. Not to mention what States, companies and individuals pay towards healthcare yearly. I would think $100K high-tech job has a significantly higher multiplier than a $100K healthcare job.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
And those additional services come from the same regional buying power...they're (mostly) not new money. If someone is finally dealing with that mole on their nose, they're not spending that money elsewhere.
Dealing with a mole on the nose in a hospital is a very uneconomic place to deal with it. One problem for the economics of modern hospitals is the rise of "surgicenters" and similar places for minor (and sometimes not so minor) procedures.

Quote:
. . . procedures performed in the ASC (Ambulatory Surgical center) cost Medicare just 53% of the amount paid to HOPDs (Hospital Outpatient Department). For example, Medicare pays hospitals $1,745 for performing an outpatient cataract surgery while paying ASCs only $976 for performing the same surgery . . . .

Private insurance companies tend to save similarly . . . . A review of commercial medical-claims data found that U.S. heath care costs are reduced by more than $38 billion per year due to the availability of ASCs as an alternative, high quality setting for outpatient procedures. More than $5 billion of that cost accrues directly to patients through lower deductible and coinsurance payments.
http://www.ascassociation.org/advanc...enascsandhopds

In general, one way to take the pressure off hospitals is to do a lot more in other places. Besides ACAs there are urgent care centers, (post hospital care) rehabilitation centers and so on.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Amazon will likely have a massive impact, yeah. TBH that's why I can't see it going to Dallas, Austin, Atlanta...those places are already having growing pains. Still standing by Chicago & Philadelphia as the two best options.
The problem with Chicago & Philadelphia is the relatively expensive cost of real estate and also the fact that COL will likely skyrocket much faster than in the other cities you list. It's a trade off and will depend on what Amazon's really looking for.

If there's any big city that can absorb Amazon's effects without:

-Further strain being placed on its infrastructure

-COL and the cost of real estate getting out of hand

It's Detroit.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
S-17, generally the incentive package most states are offering are not direct payment to Amazon. They are giving up future tax revenue from Amazon.
I get that. But looking at it another way, that's also less money they'll have to pay future debts with. See the situation with the former Rams Stadium in St. Louis as just one of many examples.

Yes, I understand that they're banking on the spinoff investment and growth from Amazon to make up for the generous incentives. But it's still a huge gamble if you don't have a cushion to fall back on. What if Amazon is suddenly broken up by a Sanders administration FTC due to Antitrust violations?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Look at it this way: If Amazon goes to Chicago, it'll be a big boost to Illinois' fiscal health.
Will it though? Studies have shown that greater than 50% of the time the return on incentives for big businesses is negative. So statistically speaking it's more likely to hurt their situation than help it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Will it though? Studies have shown that greater than 50% of the time the return on incentives for big businesses is negative. So statistically speaking it's more likely to hurt their situation than help it.
How on earth could this 'hurt' Illinois or Chicago fiscally?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Amazon will likely have a massive impact, yeah. TBH that's why I can't see it going to Dallas, Austin, Atlanta...those places are already having growing pains. Still standing by Chicago & Philadelphia as the two best options.
If it's a big Sun Belt city then I would envision Dallas over Atlanta. I just don't see what competitive advantage Atlanta has to overcome its already maxed out road network.

I'll make my short list based on regions:
  • Canada - Toronto
  • The Megalopolis - Boston or Philly
  • Rust Belt - Pittsburgh or Detroit
  • Sun Belt - Charlotte or Dallas

IMO, it's most likely that HQ2 goes to Canada or the Rust Belt.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 1:34 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If it's a big Sun Belt city then I would envision Dallas over Atlanta. I just don't see what competitive advantage Atlanta has to overcome its already maxed out road network.
Midtown and Downtown Atlanta (which are the areas that Amazon's younger talent would more than likely choose to live) are very well served by transit, and the city has better airport access via. transit than Dallas (which is what Amazon listed as a preference).

Besides, if Amazon wants to pair their PST HQ with an EST HQ, that automatically eliminates Dallas in favor of Atlanta.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 1:37 AM

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/am...-side-chicago/

Amazon visits one of the major chicago sites

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:11 AM
Closed account

Meh. Amazon has probably visited sites in a ton of cities. At face value, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:14 AM

^^^^ How can you not consider Chicago the top front runner for the rust belt cities????... The reality is Chicago has produced the best development options for Amazon... The proposals itself should be what is considered the dividing factor when comparing to other cities and outside of the one Philadelphia site Schukel yards i believe its called? there is no other cities produces the same quality proposals like Chicago has

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:47 AM
The City

Quote:
Midtown and Downtown Atlanta (which are the areas that Amazon's younger talent would more than likely choose to live) are very well served by transit, and the city has better airport access via. transit than Dallas (which is what Amazon listed as a preference).

Besides, if Amazon wants to pair their PST HQ with an EST HQ, that automatically eliminates Dallas in favor of Atlanta.
They aren't "talent". They are employees

You Millennials need to get over yourselves. Hate to break it to you, but 99% of you are very average, have no unusual skills, and will probably be middle of the road all of your lives. The previous generations already realize this, actually.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/am...-side-chicago/

Amazon visits one of the major chicago sites
I'd say this puts Chicago on the Dec. 1st short list.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
They aren't "talent". They are employees

You Millennials need to get over yourselves. Hate to break it to you, but 99% of you are very average, have no unusual skills, and will probably be middle of the road all of your lives. The previous generations already realize this, actually.
Man, that word really bothers you, huh?

Hate to tell you this, but know who popularized and normalized "talent"?

Boomer and X'er HR heads, placement firm managers, and Indeed.com. All the Xennial / Millennial management I work with just say "staff" or if we are feeling especially not over ourselves, "team member".

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 3:13 AM

Quote:

The RFP says nothing about having a train link to the airport. The RFP does, however, ask for information about congestion rankings during peak commuting times.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I'd say this puts Chicago on the Dec. 1st short list.
Yeah...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions