HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
I appreciate the protruding and set-back modules that add interest to what would otherwise be a dull flat roofline. The modular construction is interesting, anyone know if it means a lower cost / SF?
According to what the architects said at the hearing the construction cost isn't any lower, but the speed at which it can be built results in lower carrying costs, etc and less risk of lease up starting in a downturn.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 3:39 PM

Our firm is working on a few modular projects and that basically matches our experience. Assuming the building is optimally designed for the modules, construction costs are a wash, but the time savings are significant. The time savings get increasingly significant as you get taller as well.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
Our firm is working on a few modular projects and that basically matches our experience. Assuming the building is optimally designed for the modules, construction costs are a wash, but the time savings are significant. The time savings get increasingly significant as you get taller as well.
Interesting. So for a building like the one we're discussing, conventional might be a year from ground breaking to occupancy, and modular might be, how many months would you say?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 8:34 PM

In a best-case scenario 5-7 months.

The boxes go up pretty quickly, so it's really dependent on how extensive the site work and foundation are. Underground parking, in particular, erodes the advantages of modular.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 8:56 PM

I came across the Hilton Palacio del Rio in San Antonio and was amazed that is was module constructed. The 21 floor hotel was completed in just 202 days (only 46 of those days to install the modular guest rooms.)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...69#post7985769

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 9:39 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I came across the Hilton Palacio del Rio in San Antonio and was amazed that is was module constructed. The 21 floor hotel was completed in just 202 days (only 46 of those days to install the modular guest rooms.)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...69#post7985769
Check your link Mark, you just linked your own post on this page.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Check your link Mark, you just linked your own post on this page.
That's cause I'm awesome like that! Try this one instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Palacio_del_Rio

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:44 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
That's cause I'm awesome like that! Try this one instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Palacio_del_Rio
Oh my god the details on that building are ugly, but it is a cool idea and could be done much better than that.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:54 AM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 8:52 AM

Glisan and 16th building, Existing street trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Really? Forestry let them remove the two giant trees on 16th to make way for water and sewer lines? Surely they could have either fit the lines in between the trees, and/or bringing them into the building at a different spot, or arranged so the lines were both in one end of the facade, so they would take out only one tree on 16th. Someone's not trying hard enough to keep these trees!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:40 PM

One of only two large condo buildings under construction right now:

Quote:
Seven-story, 162-unit condo project gets going in the gulch

On November 14, Patrick Kessi and the team from PHK Development visited with the Sullivan’s Gulch Neighborhood Association to bring neighbors up to speed on a seven-story, 162-unit condominium project they have started site work for at the southwest corner of Northeast 21st Avenue and Multnomah Street.

The completed building will include two underground lots with 172 parking spaces for cars and an additional 265 spaces for bikes. Andersen Construction will serve as general contractor for the project, scheduled for completion in summer of 2019. The building has been designed by Hacker architects. Both companies are headquartered in Portland.

“We’re bringing beautiful homes to the neighborhood and we’re very excited about it,” said Kessi. “There are three areas that we focus on with all of our projects. One is quality of design and quality of construction. It’s important to us to use long-lasting materials that support a timeless design. The second thing we do is pay homage to our environment. Like our Marvel 29 project in St. Johns, this project will be targeted as LEED platinum. The third thing we do is collaborate with the communities in which we build. It’s important to us that this project fit the community today and meets the community’s needs as it evolves. We hope this will be an example for future projects in the area.”
...continues at the Hollywood Star News.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 9:30 PM

This project looks very well-designed (Hacker has been on a roll lately) but I have a hard time imagining anyone wanting to buy a condo adjacent to a congested, benzene-spewing freeway. I guess if the demand for condos is that high...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:59 PM

Notice of a Type II Proposal for 4728 NE Sandy Blvd.

Probably the first drive through I've seen at the base of 6 mixed story mixed use building. Are there any examples of this anywhere in the city?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Notice of a Type II Proposal for 4728 NE Sandy Blvd.

Probably the first drive through I've seen at the base of 6 mixed story mixed use building. Are there any examples of this anywhere in the city?
interesting. closest thing I can come up with is the garage/office building at SW Oak and Broadway. It once was the adjacent US Bank's drive through, and is now a drive-up espresso stand, I think.

the streetcar running through the PSU Urban Center is somewhat similar....

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
This project looks very well-designed (Hacker has been on a roll lately) but I have a hard time imagining anyone wanting to buy a condo adjacent to a congested, benzene-spewing freeway. I guess if the demand for condos is that high...
If they left enough land, a whole bunch of trees could help soften the view of the freeway.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
interesting. closest thing I can come up with is the garage/office building at SW Oak and Broadway. It once was the adjacent US Bank's drive through, and is now a drive-up espresso stand, I think.

the streetcar running through the PSU Urban Center is somewhat similar....
Seems like they are basically keeping the existing usage and drive through layout of the existing bank.

I hear that NE Sandy is being talked about as the next happening corridor. The Pepsi superblock project is at Sandy/28th.

It would be great to see a street car line on Sandy, connecting the Burnside Bridgehead area to Hollywood MAX and then potentially all the way out to 82nd, serving all the housing and commercial that will be built in the corridor.

Sandy is a potentially important bike route too. Right now it is only for the brave and fast cyclist.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:53 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
Seems like they are basically keeping the existing usage and drive through layout of the existing bank.

I hear that NE Sandy is being talked about as the next happening corridor. The Pepsi superblock project is at Sandy/28th.

It would be great to see a street car line on Sandy, connecting the Burnside Bridgehead area to Hollywood MAX and then potentially all the way out to 82nd, serving all the housing and commercial that will be built in the corridor.

Sandy is a potentially important bike route too. Right now it is only for the brave and fast cyclist.
I would like to see better use for the streetcar system, it should be treated more like a Portland innercity rail system that services the neighborhoods the MAX doesn't go to. Obviously Sandy makes sense to have it running along that road due to the amount of potential development that can be done on that route.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 3:05 PM
Semi-Lurker

Found this rendering on Emerick's Facebook page. Looks to be the building going up on 19th and Alberta next to The Hilt.

Last edited by RainDog; Feb 26, 2018 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:08 PM

"Bezel" by Solterra planned for NE 15th & Alberta. Demo permit recently issued for same address.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:19 PM
Semi-Lurker

That house has become quite an eyesore, I was wondering how long it would take for it to come down. Interesting choice with the crying middle-eastern woman mosaic. I will withhold judgement until I see the final product on this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland