HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
The majority of complaints that I've heard so far have nothing to do with the land but more to do with the location.

As for the street expansion I think it has to do with a mostly direct route from West Main all the way up to the Mapleton area. People seem to fear this strech of road will be used as a race track. It is almost a straight run other then the Bends at Grand Trunk, Russ Howard, and the roundabout at Killam Drive.
Scarface: as long as they keep the park intact I do not care how/where they put the school/ access points. Just leave my beloved park alone. I have been going there since at least 1970 and it needs to be preserved. The redevelopment of the 2 existing school sites is a bonus, if true.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Apr 13, 2018 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:33 PM

Like MonctonRad has said it seems the French shcool district now know as District francophone sud. Seems to have it down on what locations would be the best to keep the school walkable. If you look at École Sainte-Bernadette
It was facing Upton Street previously, and they kept the school open as they built the new school In behind now facing Verdun, and they demolished the old school, and built the new parking, and field while the students where in the new school. They could do the same on the Besborough Land It would be a little ackward, as the pick up/drop off zone for busses, and cars would have to be on the side of the road. But it is workable. If it's the size of land they are woried about they could always build the school with 3 levels of classrooms

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:02 PM

I just think at this point in our world of eco-logical issues building a school at the Franklin crossing site that will result in more cars on the road is backwards thinking.

I guarantee you Parents will not let their kids walk there..... which means every k-4 parent that lives in new/old west end will now drive their kids to school due to no bussing which quite honestly will increase traffic dramatically.

We have this drop off/traffic problem at magnetic hill .. but for a different reason. (everyone drives their kids because the bus's come unreasonably early, due to transfers to downtown)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 4:20 PM

I decided to look into the new French shcool, and realised it's either a school to eliviate for Champlain, and École Le Mascaret that is in the East end, or the article is right, and they should look at an expansion of Saint-Henri. Since Le Sommet School is in the North end, and not in the east.

I think the Province, and City should work together on a plan for potential new schools to be built with majority of there student population within walking distance. It would be a large undertaking to do. But it is something they can implement.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I think the Province, and City should work together....

We can only dream.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:23 PM

Moncton Honda started their renovation and expansion yesteday
Breaking Ground!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

We can only dream.
It’s even worse when you try to get the Feds involved too.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 1:00 AM

New York-based Koeppel Companies ULC, a company that holds the rights for the Ontario market east of Kingston, Ottawa, Quebec and the East Coast provinces for the Five Guys Burgers and Fries concept are planning to open at least 15 new locations over the next three years. The immediate focus is on downtown Montreal along with the Laval, St. Laurent, Plateau, Côte-des-Neiges communities on the Island of Montreal along with Lachenaie in the Terrebonne area, Boucherville in Montreal’s South Shore, Gatineau in western Quebec and downtown Ottawa. The company is also planning to ramp up expansion of Five Guys in the Atlantic provinces in early 2019 and the initial focus there is on Halifax, Moncton and St. John. The restaurants will operate in 2500 to 3200 square foot units with patios, in open-air centres, high streets and super regional malls. Tony Flanz at Think Retail handles the site selection on behalf of the Koeppel Companies. Introduced in 1986 as a family-owned takeout burger joint in Arlington Virginia by the Murell family, Five Guys Burgers features the hand-formed burgers that can be customized with an array of toppings, along with hotdogs and fresh-cut fries. In 2003, the company introduced a franchise program and today, the quick service chain operates more than 1500 locations in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Europe and the Middle East, with about another 1500 in development.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
The company is also planning to ramp up expansion of Five Guys in the Atlantic provinces in early 2019 and the initial focus there is on Halifax, Moncton and St. John. The restaurants will operate in 2500 to 3200 square foot units with patios, in open-air centres, high streets and super regional malls. Tony Flanz at Think Retail handles the site selection on behalf of the Koeppel Companies.
This feels like a situation where Fredericton is missing out because it isn't considered a CMA yet, since that really looks like a regional CMA list. I'm sure after the restaurants open up, a second wave of expansion will see 5Guys in Freddy, Charlottetown and Sydney likely.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the link to the pdf for the May PAC meeting for the city of Moncton.

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Governm...PAC+Agenda.pdf

Nothing truly earth shaking here.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 11:12 AM

Hello.

I'm part of a Facebook group, that discusses retail in the province of New Brunswick, and a few days ago, they posted this below at their page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690...3481661551201/

For some here, you may need to log into Facebook and hit the 'Join' button to post there.

This has to do with the conversion of a former store in Riverview to a Giant Tiger store, and during the exterior renovations, they uncovered what's pretty close to a mint-condition sign from the now-gone SaveEasy grocery store chain, this one being the original 1980s logo.

For the record, I live in Ontario now, but I ended up contacting the owners of that property, Crombie REIT, and made a suggestion to them to have the sign saved. They do have it stored away right now, but I thought I'd just leave this message here to anyone who may be interested in seeing if it can be preserved.

You'd have to contact an Elizabeth Engram for anything further on that subject. She is with Crombie.

It's just that, as someone who's observed the evolution of the retail world since March of 1995, that I'd hate to see that sign end up in a dump.

I just thought I'd make those here aware of this.

=)

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Hello.

I'm part of a Facebook group, that discusses retail in the province of New Brunswick, and a few days ago, they posted this below at their page.

For some here, you may need to log into Facebook and hit the 'Join' button to post there.

This has to do with the conversion of a former store in Riverview to a Giant Tiger store, and during the exterior renovations, they uncovered what's pretty close to a mint-condition sign from the now-gone SaveEasy grocery store chain, this one being the original 1980s logo.

For the record, I live in Ontario now, but I ended up contacting the owners of that property, Crombie REIT, and made a suggestion to them to have the sign saved. They do have it stored away right now, but I thought I'd just leave this message here to anyone who may be interested in seeing if it can be preserved.

You'd have to contact an Elizabeth Engram for anything further on that subject. She is with Crombie.

It's just that, as someone who's observed the evolution of the retail world since March of 1995, that I'd hate to see that sign end up in a dump.

I just thought I'd make those here aware of this.

=)

That is neat that the sign had not been removed but at the same time to me it looks like they are cutting corners. as all they did was put something on top something on the bottom, and of course down the middle less where the sign is. Then put the siding over it.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Hello.

....they uncovered what's pretty close to a mint-condition sign from the now-gone SaveEasy grocery store chain, this one being the original 1980s logo.
... seeing if it can be preserved.

=)
Iconic signs like this need a place to be displayed in Moncton's own "Museum of Retail History".

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 12:46 AM

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 8:04 PM

Rooming houses in the City

I remember a short while ago we where talking about rooming houses in the city, and the subject came up as to how many there really are in the city. I seen in the Paper that a Rooming house on Killam Drive had caught fire thursday, and while looking into it. It seems the house is listed a single familly residents, and nothing that would remotly show that it's being used in any other capacity. There seems to be a lot of home like this in the city, and I think the city should probably step in with that. To Many rooming houses seem to not be legal rooming houses, and therefore are a potential danger for those living there as the conversion was done without being overseen. Corners are often cut in these types of situation. Not saying that is what happen at this particular rooming house but am pointing out the city should probably be looking into ways to make it easier for residents to know that it is not a legal rooming house, and they could potentially be in danger. there are 2 rooming houses that I know of the city, or Province had boarded up after non compliance. They had seemingly turned any area they could into bedrooms some without windows.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:42 AM

The City keeps tabs on all known rooming houses. Some are up to full code and some are written up.
The unknown ones are the issue. The only way to become aware of them is for someone to report them. If a place is listed as a single family residence officials would have no clue unless tipped off. In Toronto, and I imagine other large cities, it is not uncommon to discover a retail business with a basement or an attic full of tenants, separated but just a curtain.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleton_Roadie View Post
The City keeps tabs on all known rooming houses. Some are up to full code and some are written up.
The unknown ones are the issue. The only way to become aware of them is for someone to report them. If a place is listed as a single family residence officials would have no clue unless tipped off. In Toronto, and I imagine other large cities, it is not uncommon to discover a retail business with a basement or an attic full of tenants, separated but just a curtain.
Agreed But in Toronto Rooming house are treated like there apartment building, and it's easy to see if your running a legal rooming house, or not when you either don't have that panel, or don't have that tag that say's you've passed your inspection. I also do agree it's harder when it's an attic, or basement Unit specially if it has seperate access It might have interconected smoke alarms but no way to know if they passed inspection as you have access to your unit only.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 11:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

10 Reasons to Move to Moncton

Found on Realtor.ca
https://www.realtor.ca/TrendsInsight..._campaign=Blog

Very interesting article.......

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:24 PM

Not 100% sure if it's kosher to post this here or not, but a local renovation/flipping company just started a YouTube channel about the ins-and-outs of the industry, at least as how it applies in one of Canada's most affordable housing markets.

https://www.youtube.com/buildingbrydges

I normally wouldn't plug a link, but it's a local company trying to get Moncton even more on the map. (Plus I have family in the cast, lol) First episode (released today) is a bit cheesy, but I expect it to get better and better.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:48 PM

Video wasn't too bad for their first. Got me interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Not 100% sure if it's kosher to post this here or not, but a local renovation/flipping company just started a YouTube channel about the ins-and-outs of the industry, at least as how it applies in one of Canada's most affordable housing markets.

https://www.youtube.com/buildingbrydges

I normally wouldn't plug a link, but it's a local company trying to get Moncton even more on the map. (Plus I have family in the cast, lol) First episode (released today) is a bit cheesy, but I expect it to get better and better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces