HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 7:53 PM

The zinc roofs of the city look incredible and unified.

I'm not a fan of the multicolored or orange roofs of northern/eastern European cities, it looks awful to me.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 11:20 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

A big part of the roofs of old buildings are orange outside of Central Paris.

Last edited by Minato Ku; Jun 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 12:01 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

After being stopped one year after the cancellation of its building permit (because of a lack of integration of the modern building into Paris historic fabric) , the construction of the new Samaritaine can resume.
France's Council of State, the highest administrative court of France, has cleared the Samaritaine project of all the all the appeals and its building permit is approved.

This ruling might help the construction of other buildings with a very modern architecture in Central Paris against appeals.
It concluded that a more open interpretation of Article 11 of Paris building code should be held. This article is centered on the need of integration of new buildings into the existing urban fabric.
According to the France's Council of State, the former judgments which cancelate the construction permit have not taken into account other passages in this article that moderate the demand for integration into the existing urban fabric.
France's Council of Statehas found that this article showed himself the desire to avoid the "architectural mimicry," and authorized in a certain extent the issuance of permits for contemporary architectural projects that deviate the "dominant registers" of Parisian architecture in terms of appearance of buildings, and can have "innovative" materials or colors.

Quote:
French court clears La Samaritaine Paris store revamp
PARIS, JUNE 19

France's Council of State on Friday gave the green light to the long-delayed 460 million euro ($520 million) makeover of Paris department store La Samaritaine, a landmark building owned by luxury group LVMH .
The renovation, entirely funded by LVMH, owned by France's richest man, Bernard Arnault, is intended to transform La Samaritaine into a multi-use 70,000 square-meter complex with a luxury hotel, designer stores, duty free shops and office space.
"The Conseil d'Etat's decision definitely rejects all the appeals that had been filed against this building permit," the court said in a statement.
France's highest administrative court's decision comes after a lower appeal court in January confirmed a 2014 administrative court decision revoking the permit to renovate a portion of the 145-year-old building, closed since 2005.
Both La Samaritaine and the City of Paris welcomed the ruling, which paves the way for an opening in 2018.
"The Samaritaine duly notes with satisfaction the decision of the Conseil d'Etat which definitively approves the building permit for the renovation of the building located on rue de Rivoli," La Samaritaine said in a statement, adding the renovation will create directly create more than 2,200 jobs.
La Samaritaine, which has a landmark Art Deco facade overlooking the Seine river, was closed in 2005 to meet safety rules and was due to reopen in 2013 after a major renovation.
Two associations - The Society for the Protection of Landscape and Aesthetics of France (SPPEF) and SOS Paris - had gone to court, claiming the project did not respect Paris' visual character.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0Z43DI20150619

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 3:42 AM

I believe modern mid-rises can look beautiful and fit in well with the urban fabric if they're done right. But I also want Paris to remain strict when it comes to the city center, this permit approval doesn't exactly feel so good.

That being said, the Samaritaine is a rare art deco gem for the city and I'm excited about it being restored but 2018? why so damn long? lol

I also don't like the orange roofs outside of the city center, they just don't look nearly as beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 6:48 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Paris construction code is still strict but now the nimbys or protectionists can't use the sole argument that the building has a modern architecture against a project.
Paris construction code while asking for the need of integration of the new buildings into the existing urban fabric allows buildings with a very modern design in the heart of Central Paris.

The whole campaign against the Samaritaine project was full of disinformation.
Claiming that the modern building was taller, that this modern building would have an impact on the nearby Louvre, that the former old buildings on Rue de Rivoli were exceptional or that the whole Samaritaine including the Art Deco buildings would be destroyed.
They were just upset because an visible modern building would be build on a major street in the heart of Central Paris.

Why 2018 ? Years to create the perfect project, years of negotiation with authorities and the judicial battle against appeals.
Normally this new Samaritaine should have opened in 2015. Now if the work resumes in the next month, this means 3 years. The demolition work need to be finished.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 1:36 PM

^ Them local nimbys are just so obviously worse than annoying with their obsession with strict absolute homogeneity. As if anything different coming to their sight scared the crap out of them. It's downright unhealthy and dangerous. And UNESCO doesn't seem to help in that respect at all, either.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 4:12 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

In the case of Paris, the UNESCO perimeter is just the banks of the Seine, the Islands, the Louvre and few parks, squares and landmarks overlooking the Seine river.
It does not prevent the construction of buildings with modern design in Central Paris.
The Samaritaine is just outside the UNESCO perimeter.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 5:19 PM

^^ I think their specifications are ultra strict and do affect the city beyond the registered area alone, which is large, covering much of the fabric along the river, as seen on the map. Correct me if I'm mistaking, they claim that from their perspective, nothing should alter any view of, or even from a listed site. That's definitely too severely binding and consolidating nimbyism. Even la Défense yet located a couple of miles away from the western end of the UNESCO area is almost a fraud to their rules.

I'm a little skeptical about the usefulness of UNESCO to the city, now. As culture, nature and history experts, their authority and advice is highly respectable, but they really don't care much about contemporary development, huh...

Speaking of which, I believe London happily broke their rules to some extent. Yet none of their sites was removed from the UNESCO list, right?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 6:19 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

The UNESCO sector did not prevent the construction of the new Orthodox russian church, Branly museum, Japanese cultural center, these buildings are right next to the Seine in the UNESCO sector.
Paris not Dresden, it is easily one of the most famous city in the world. Everywhere in the Earth, people have heard of Paris.

Paris does not need the UNESCO to be recognized but I think that the UNESCO need to have a sector in Paris to be more credible.
That's why Paris will not lose its UNESCO World Heritage Site even if it built modern buildings inside it.
Note that the UNESCO sector of Paris is small and allows to Paris to do a lot of things in its center.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ Them local nimbys are just so obviously worse than annoying with their obsession with strict absolute homogeneity. As if anything different coming to their sight scared the crap out of them. It's downright unhealthy and dangerous. And UNESCO doesn't seem to help in that respect at all, either.
I don't think it's wrong to want to preserve the city center, there's no other place in the world likes Paris' historic core, it's also what drives the city's insane amounts of tourism. But I'm not against integration and diversity, as long as it's done correctly and doesn't look atrocious.

Last edited by The North One; Jun 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

The Council of Paris has voted in favor of Tour Triangle.

Quote:
Unibail Gets Approval to Build $558 Million Skyscraper in Paris
by Francois De Beaupuy June 30, 2015

A plan by Unibail-Rodamco SE to build a 500 million-euro ($558 million) skyscraper at the southern edge of Paris was approved by the city council after the property group amended the office project to include a hotel.
The Tour Triangle will have 69,900 square meters (752,000 square feet) of offices, less than the 80,000 square meters planned in a previous project that was rejected in a city council vote in November. The project will also include a 120-room, four star hotel, co-working spaces as well as shops, child-care facilities and a restaurant.
“I always considered that the Tour Triangle was a great chance for Paris and the Greater Paris,” Mayor Anne Hidalgo, who’s backing the project, said Tuesday.
The plans were opposed by some of Hidalgo’s allies in the Green Party because they’re concerned about traffic congestion.
Paris has lagged behind cities including London in building office towers because some residents oppose them on aesthetic grounds. The Montparnasse office tower, built in 1973, remains one of the few Paris skyscrapers outside the La Defense financial district.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...raper-in-paris

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:54 PM

Funny how that article compared Paris to London, reminded me of this:

http://sosparis.free.fr/p84trtri.htm

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 10:39 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

This is the area where Tour Triangle will be built.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 6:38 PM

Entertaining to those many fascinated, some recent aerials of this most ridiculously planned large town.

Video Link

Video Link

@video #2
0:50 struggling cars going round in circles are funny. They'll find their way somehow, anyway...
1:03 straight to the big church.

This 3rd video below is the most significant to all familiar enough with the city, featuring a little bit of redeveloping Saine-Saint-Denis (the closest to the central city).

Video Link

Fog effects might (either) be caused by heat (and/)or by heavy pollution; those 2 things, although often related, are actually different when it comes to visual effects. Heat causes natural disturbance of views, which is called "mirages" in random vocabulary. Sometimes, Paris is crushed by heat without raising any pollution alert. But it still often does.

I'm not even patient enough to watch the entire videos, but who knows? Some of you guys may be.

Most important edit:
Quote:
Saine-Saint-Denis
wut? How did I do this? I had damn Saint-Denis on my mind, then mispelt the name of the river itself.
When you type too much on keyboards, your brain loses your fingers in the end...
It is Seine-Saint-Denis, people. That's where it's at for most cost-effective business around here.

Last edited by mousquet; Jul 11, 2015 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 8:55 PM

While Skylight is U/C at the moment, there would be this mixed-use project from Unibail-Rodamco to enhance the continuity of this new bit of urban fabric.

Now, you see that cemetery? A more and more interesting piece of land, isn't it? Well, I expect the local NIMBY to act like they're terribly shocked when anything will finally plan to remove that graveyard. I can ironically write you the kind of speech they'll be inventing on that occasion, already.

What!? You'll prevent good innocent people from worshipping their dead just to allow those nasty developers and construction corporations to make even more money!? Shame on you, you heartless capitalist bastards! and bla bla bla...

While of course, they never cared about that graveyard before. But they'll suddenly claim to have a merciful and spiritual mind, when a cemetery doesn't even make any particular religious sense anyway. It's quite the opposite. Don't forget the useful Word.

Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.

Yep, precisely. That cemetery's only a waste of space like a parking lot. So it's likely to disappear after a long long, and even longer fight against the anti-development NIMBY.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 12:25 AM

When I first saw a picture of that cemetary I thought it was a parking lot for the stadium. It's so massive.

Aren't the bodies in there extremely old? There can't be any living relatives to demand it's survival unless some famous French person lies there. And it's right in the center of the business district, it shows how badly Parisians hate skyscrapers, they only allowed them to be built near graveyards.

Also is Place de L'Étoile really that bad when it comes to traffic? I thought roundabouts/traffic circles were... ya know... efficient? At least more so than regular intersections.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 4:29 AM

Hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Aren't the bodies in there extremely old? There can't be any living relatives to demand it's survival unless some famous French person lies there. And it's right in the center of the business district.
No, I don't think all graves in there are really old. It's not such an old graveyard and yet will be a pain to move. Especially when a couple of real historic graveyards in the central city are landmarks, the most famous being the Père Lachaise cemetery, yet another tourist attraction. I fear some may hold it as a reason to maintain this one as some sort of garden, for a funny grim walk, but it's just obviously unfit to the modern surroundings. I would easily understand if it was partly turned into an urban garden, but those many graves are out of place over that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Also is Place de L'Étoile really that bad when it comes to traffic? I thought roundabouts/traffic circles were... ya know... efficient? At least more so than regular intersections.
That one's large and confusing the 1st times you drive through. I can't really remember the rules to this particular one... If I recall correctly, right of way goes to vehicles getting in the circle, which makes an exception of it. Otherwise, it's not so inconvenient to local drivers who're used to it, but it's too many cars anyway. I once achieved the dumbest feat of crossing it on foot, as a stupid game of my early teens. It wasn't so hard and didn't even upset any driver, but I might have been lucky and wouldn't recommend it. Going through the dull underpass is still wiser. The need for a boring underpass is an evidence that this spot is too heavily loaded with traffic.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 6:12 PM

The €100 mi Russian Orthodox Center, a 4-building complex U/C on the quai Branly (7th arrondissement) funded by the Russian Federation, today (high-res pic).

http://www.devisubox.com/dv/data/pub...SWGg==_CLR.jpg

This is from CAL75017 on pss-archi.eu.

Reminder.

http://www.wilmotte.com/fr/projet/40...Culturel-Russe

http://statics.lecourrierderussie.co...AssociesSA.jpg

http://www.leparisien.fr/espace-prem...14-3504277.php

This design by Wilmotte & Associés is that stark on purpose - the golden Orthodox domes are the only shiny/showy thing to it - and cladded in quality materials exclusively (local limestone, glass and wood). It includes a church, a school, a showroom, a couple of libraries, a meeting room and a few other little things. This new complex is twice as less dense as what was there before and allows the development of a new public little green square. The whole thing would feel like an open block along the river.

Although supposedly built for spiritual, cultural and educational purposes only, it's also an obvious diplomatic symbol to show the French and Russian will for friendly and fruitful bilateral relations. The 7th arrondissement is an ultra official and diplomatic district.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:50 PM

They're refurbishing these 2 residential brutalist in Ivry-sur-Seine.

Pics by Cochise on SSC. Good job...

The program includes those 2 buildings (6 and 9 floors) built from 1963 to 1967, eventually downright registered to the historic heritage after having been abandoned. The more I learn about raw early modernism, the more I find them interesting, not so surprised at the registration after all. These 2 could almost be some luxury housing in LA's better off modern neighborhoods.

Apartments for sale in there should be comfy once it's all refurbished and cleaned up.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 5:35 PM

That Church looks totally out of place in the city. Aren't most people in Europe secular? France can't even fill their medieval Cathedrals.

Dirty, slimy Russia trying to spread their influence is always unsettling. Why is France even associated with that country?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations