HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 9:03 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is perfectly accurate if your country is called English Canada.
Even though Toronto's culture-related GDP more than likely surpasses Montreal's by a significant margin, you're trying to convince me that Toronto is not Canada's cultural hub because Montreal plays a similar role to a small subset of the country?

This is a bit like saying "Well, Cardiff is very important to the Welsh so I really don't know how you can say that London is the UK's cultural capital"... what can you really say to this line of reasoning?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:03 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Toronto-based media generally rebroadcasts American content, reprints/straight sells American magazines, and acts as a filming location for American films (Vancouver might be the number 1 in this regard or has Toronto passed them? I remember talk about that happening or that it was getting close or something).
Vancouver is still definitely #1 in American/Hollywood film & television production.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:12 PM

And overall film industry revenues are much higher in BC. An industry where we are crushing Toronto right now. Toronto has TIFF though.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:29 PM
Hmm....

I thought about whether I should hit submit or not... I have left many a post typed and unsubmitted, but I'm feeling especially cynical today, so here goes.

I hid it by default because it got a bit long, but I started to think more into where things stand (in English-Canada) now...

In short, one of my last paragraphs:

"It doesn't feel like we really have a "national cultural capital/hub" like other countries do, where creativity gathers and spawns new growth. We basically have US cultural output, which Canadians move down and contribute to, mixed in with some local/regional sources. Toronto feels more like a connecting flight style hub on the way to/from somewhere else."

If you have time to spare/are curious, feel free to read further.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:26 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Sure, but that doesn't give Toronto a major cultural impact in the part of Canada dominated by Montreal.
So what? It doesn't take away from the fact that Toronto is Canada's cultural capital (dominating 75% of Canada's media scene is sufficient).

Quote:
My kids are living in Canada and off the top of my head, I can't think of any books, movies, TV shows or programs (fiction or non-fiction), magazines, music, or artists of any kind etc. that they pay attention to that come out of Toronto or, at least, in the case of music in particular... are related to the fact that they are *Canadian* and that they wouldn't have otherwise known via the global pop music scene.

A handful of pop music artists (that are popular around the world anyway) and that's it.

So you guys are telling me that that's their country's uncontested cultural capital? Really?
Do you not see the irony in that? Many of Greater Toronto's (GGH) cultural products are world beaters, think Drake, Justin Bieber. Brazil's biggest pop star is a straight up ripoff of Justin Bieber complete with rural Ontario haircut and outfits. Drake and JB get teased a lot in American and European media in relation to their nationality (the same way Rob Ford was as a charicature of Canadian stereotypes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The difference is that Montreal is the cultural hub for a much smaller part of Canada than Toronto, both geographically and in terms of population.
Exactly. Edinburgh is by far the biggest cultural trendsetter in Scotland but there's no question that London is the UK's biggest cultural center (who cares if they don't culturally dominate 100% of the country, 75% firmly gives them the title).

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
Even though Toronto's culture-related GDP more than likely surpasses Montreal's by a significant margin, you're trying to convince me that Toronto is not Canada's cultural hub because Montreal plays a similar role to a small subset of the country?

This is a bit like saying "Well, Cardiff is very important to the Welsh so I really don't know how you can say that London is the UK's cultural capital"... what can you really say to this line of reasoning?

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:42 AM

Justin Bieber is an American product. Drake probly has the same huge 6team of American personnel behind him as well.

I don't think too many people in Toronto are bragging about Justin Mieber.

Seems like Montreal is where artists go.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:49 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Justin Bieber is an American product. Drake probly has the same huge 6team of American personnel behind him as well.
Drake's label is OVO (a Toronto based team) and Bieber was performing in Ontario for a couple years before he was signed by an American record label. Celine Dion started getting recognition after she performed as the Switzerland representative during the Eurovision song contest, she's also signed by CBS Records, does that make her a foreign product too? Talk about grasping at straws to try to disprove a point...

OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:59 AM

Heres beibers support group. Almost all American. Notice for beiber it says writing instead of writer, so he probly wrote any old crap just to get a "writing" credit. Beiber relies on a lot of marketing hype and ridiculous drama to sell records. He's a mediocre singer, singing to teeny boppers. He's not a good example.

Credits adapted from liner notes of My World.[75]
Ian Allen – business affairs
Zack Atkinson – art direction and design
Chris Baldwin – poster photography
A.J. Benson – A&R
Justin Bieber – lead and background vocals, writing.
Antea Birchett – writer, producer
Anesha Birchett – writer, producer
Scooter Braun – executive producer
Lashaunda "Babygirl" Carr – writer, producer
Leesa D. Brunson – A&R
DJ Frank E – producer
Blake Eiseman – recording
Dernst Emile II – producer, writer
Jaycen Joshua-Fowler – mixing
Alexander "Prettyboifresh" Parhm Jr – producer
Taylor Graves –background vocals
Christy Hall – production assistant
Sean P. Hamilton – producer, writer
Kuk Harrell – producer, writer
Rosalind Harrel – A&R consultant
Christopher Hicks – album producer
Daria Hines – styling
Doug Joswick – package production
Chris Kraus – recorder
Ezekiel Lewis – producer, writer
Giancarlo Lino – mixing assistant
Pamela Littky – Photography
Ryan Lovete – producer, writer
Bill Malina – vocal production
Bonnie McKee – background vocals
Balewa Muhammad – producer
Terius Nash – producer, writer
Waynne Nugent – producer, writer
Steve Owens – A&R consultant
Dave Pensado – mixing
Nina Persson – writer
Vanessa Price – grooming
Yolanda Ray – A&R
Usher Raymond IV – Vocals, executive producer, producer, writer
Antonio "LA" Reid– executive producer
Dwight "Skrapp" Reynolds – writer, keyboard
Kevin Risto – producer
Aaron Rosenburg – legal counsel
Todd Russell – art direction & design
Gabriella Schwartz – marketing
Hyuk Shin – producer
Tashia Stafford – A&R
Jeremy Stevenson – recording
Christopher "Tricky" Stewart – producer, writer,
Tim Stewart – guitar
Peter Svennsson – writer
Brian Thomas – recording
Dapo Torimiro – producer, writer
Antionete Trotman – business affairs
Andrée Watters – writer
Bruce Waynne – producer
Jesse Wilson – producer, writer
Andrew Wuepper – mixing assistant
Nicole Wyskoarko – business affairs

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:00 AM
Reason and Freedom

Justin Bieber was born in London and raised in Stratford.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:04 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

That's pretty pathetic man, you're seriously grasping at straws. Did you actually look up each of their citizenships? You also didn't answer my question...is Celine Dion a foreign product now? Anyway, I can see you have some sort of complex regarding Toronto, there's probably no point debating with you...at least with Acajack we know why he has a complex, what's your excuse?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:05 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Seriously? Somehow I think you don't realize how very little Toronto stuff penetrates in Quebec.

Cardiff is just a laughable example. First of all it is barely one tenth the size of London and Wales has less than 4% of the UK population. Even Scotland is a ridiculous comparison.

But most of all... London-produced culture is hugely present in Cardiff and Wales. The BBC stuff comes mostly from London, as do the national papers, the national news, all national associations and organizations, magazines, etc.

For Quebec French Canada, all of that is in Montreal. Not in Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:10 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Justin Bieber was born in London and raised in Stratford.
Still Toronto's hinterland, when he travels internationally he's frequently sporting Leafs and Jays gear...not exactly London Knights or Tigercats.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:11 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post

Do you not see the irony in that? Many of Greater Toronto's (GGH) cultural products are world beaters, think Drake, Justin Bieber. Brazil's biggest pop star is a straight up ripoff of Justin Bieber complete with rural Ontario haircut and outfits. Drake and JB get teased a lot in American and European media in relation to their nationality (the same way Rob Ford was as a charicature of Canadian stereotypes).
No I don't see the irony in that because my kids wouldn't know Bieber if the Americans hadn't been interested in him first. I don't think they know Drake BTW.

It's very obvious you believe we're a bunch of insular hicks who chug shooters of maple syrup for fun.

In any event, the biggest Canadian singer ever globally is Céline Dion who is from Charlemagne which is 500 m from Montreal city limits.

The Las Vegas show scene was in a long downward spiral not that long ago when it was rejuvenated by people like Céline Dion, André-Philippe Gagnon and Guy Laliberté.

And if your average joe in Kuala Lumpur or Cape Town has seen a Canadian movie and actually knows it's from this country, chances are it's a movie produced in French in Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:13 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Seriously? Somehow I think you don't realize how very little Toronto stuff penetrates in Quebec.

Cardiff is just a laughable example. First of all it is barely one tenth the size of London and Wales has less than 4% of the UK population. Even Scotland is a ridiculous comparison.

But most of all... London-produced culture is hugely present in Cardiff and Wales. The BBC stuff comes mostly from London, as do the national papers, the national news, all national associations and organizations, magazines, etc.

For Quebec French Canada, all of that is in Montreal. Not in Toronto.
The Globe and Mail and Macleans are distributed quite liberally in Anglophone areas of Montreal, anglophones in Montreal (last time I checked, they're still a substantial proportion of the city, unless you consider them non-people?) are still pretty tuned into English-Canadian media. Whenever I stay at Montreal hotels, half the channels are English-Canadian with pretty substantial Toronto content.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:16 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
No I don't see the irony in that because my kids wouldn't know Bieber if the Americans hadn't been interested in him first. I don't think they know Drake BTW.

It's very obvious you believe we're a bunch of insular hicks who chug shooters of maple syrup for fun.

In any event, the biggest Canadian singer ever globally is Céline Dion who is from Charlemagne which is 500 m from Montreal city limits.

The Las Vegas show scene was in a long downward spiral not that long ago when it was rejuvenated by people like Céline Dion, André-Philippe Gagnon and Guy Laliberté.

And if your average joe in Kuala Lumpur or Cape Town has seen a Canadian movie and actually knows it's from this country, chances are it's a movie produced in French in Montreal.
Bryan Adams? James Cameron? Sounds a little insecure. That's assuming people even know Montreal exists outside of skyscraper geeks, francophones and geriatrics who still remember the 76 Olympics...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:21 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
The Globe and Mail and Macleans are distributed quite liberally in Anglophone areas of Montreal, anglophones in Montreal (last time I checked, they're still a substantial proportion of the city, unless you consider them non-people?) .
Yeah, that's it. Exactly what I think.

It's there but that's far from most Montrealers. I'd suspect more Anglo-Montrealers read The Gazette and Time. They tend to focus on local Montreal stuff in English, and stuff from the U.S. But sure, there is a bit of Toronto stuff in there I suppose. For that particular demographic.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:21 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Bryan Adams? James Cameron? Sounds a little insecure. That's assuming people even know Montreal exists outside of skyscraper geeks, francophones and geriatrics who still remember the 76 Olympics...
The guy who brings up Justin Bieber as a point of pride is calling me insecure!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:22 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
That's assuming people even know Montreal exists outside of skyscraper geeks, francophones and geriatrics who still remember the 76 Olympics...
Why would skyscraper geeks know Montreal anyway? It's skyline is totally underwhelming for a North American city.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:24 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. Exactly what I think.

It's there but that's far from most Montrealers. I'd suspect more Anglo-Montrealers read The Gazette and Time. They tend to focus on local Montreal stuff in English, and stuff from the U.S. But sure, there is a bit of Toronto stuff in there I suppose. For that particular demographic.
So that drops Montreal's sphere of influence below 25%? Last time I checked you only needed 50% to pass a test, 75%+ sounds like---> "Toronto is Canada's metropolis despite the fact some cities dominate minor (less than 50%) segments of it".

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:25 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Whenever I stay at Montreal hotels, half the channels are English-Canadian with pretty substantial Toronto content.
This shows how ill-informed you are for this discussion. Montrealers don't stay in hotels in their own city.

Think of where we are located. Where are most hotel guests in Montreal from?

Anglos from Canada or the States who like to watch stuff in English... big surprise they have channels on the TVs for them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada