HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:12 AM

Downtown Update

Hope Lodge in Salt Lake City to serve traveling cancer patients

A rendering of the garden at Hope Lodge in Salt Lake City. The American Cancer Society announced Thursday it has raised $10.2 million toward its $18 million capital campaign to build the 42-suite lodge for cancer patients who need to leave their homes for therapy in Salt Lake City.

By Heather May, The Salt Lake Tribune

Sick children who travel to Utah for treatment have the Ronald McDonald House. Families of ailing veterans needing care have the Fisher House.

And now cancer patients who need to leave their homes for therapy in Salt Lake City can look forward to the Hope Lodge...

...Health facilities throughout the state conducted a needs assessment and found the lodge could be at 85 percent capacity, serving about 800 people a year. There are 31 others in the United States. The closest lodge is in Phoenix. The others are mainly located in Eastern states...

..."It’s a place where people can meet and interact with other people traveling a similar path," she said, noting that it will include places for reflection, as well as resources such as a library and a patient navigator, a person trained to help patients access care.

The Ronald McDonald House is also raising funds, seeking $2.5 million to expand and more than double the capacity of its current Salt Lake City facility at South Temple and 900 East.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Lot of great projects going on here. Especially the Public Works Building and the Eccles Building.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:09 PM

SLC rocks!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 5:13 PM

Pic By Countylemonade - http://www.flickr.com/photos/countyl...n/photostream/

The Photo above is representative of Salt Lake City's Central Metro, looking East. I thought some of the many
lurkers from other areas might like to see exactly what Salt Lake's scenic Eastern Metro looks like as you gaze
West. Basically, opposite sides of the Mountain Range, and by L.A. standards, a short commute from one side to the
other.

Heber Valley @ http://travelinoma.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html

Last edited by delts145; Sep 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 10:16 PM

Update, Northern Metro - Downtown Ogden

LDS Temple Project

Standard-Examiner.net

I was curious as to the latest construction progress on the Ogden LDS Temple. Here's a few of the latest pics taken on August 30th

Courtesy of Lane Montgomery @ http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogden/construction/

Comparative photograph taken June 28, 2012, courtesy of the webcam

Last edited by delts145; Sep 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 7:22 PM

Southern Metro Update

Lehi - New Xactware Headquarters - Under Construction

The building, which will be located near Timpanogos Highway in
the Traverse Mountain Business Park, is projected to be completed
by February 2014. The environmentally friendly and highly energy-
efficient building will be constructed to the U.S. Green Building Council’s
LEED Silver certification standard.

The new Xactware campus will be located just two miles from the
new Thanksgiving Point FrontRunner station and within walking distance
of a future TRAX station and the new Murdock Canal Trail system.
The facility will feature a state-of-the-art data center, beach
volleyball courts, basketball courts, and a fitness center.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/Xactwa...web9796178.htm

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 12:13 PM

Downtown Updates @ City Creek

Pic By John Martin @ http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post
Anthropologie opened today on Level Two West. It wraps around escalators so it has windows overlooking Main St.

Apple door was open and one could see that they were still framing.

West Elm and Art of Shaving claim to be coming soon.

Nice retro touch -- Starbucks at Crandall Bldg has inlaid its name in tiles at sidewalk thresholds on Main and 100 South. There is furniture inside shop but it looks as if there is still finish work to be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post
New inlaid tile thresholds for Starbucks in Crandall Bldg (Main and 100 South)

photo by duckbay, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post

Gap will open an Athleta store at City Creek soon. My wife was just asked to interview for it. Just saying...
Athleta Store, Related Article @ http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-devotees.html

www.bloomberg.com

A few of the most recent pics @ http://instagrid.me/tag/citycreekcenter/

Last edited by delts145; Sep 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 12:08 AM

I love the variety of beautiful water features throughout downtown!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:54 PM

^^^
Me too, I never tire of all the water features they keep adding to the CBD.

Since I was on the site with the Ogden LDS Temple(northern metro) construction updates, I thought I would post a few of the LDS Payson Temple(southern metro) construction updates also. Here's a few from as recently as a few days ago.

Update, Southern Metro - Payson

LDS Temple Project

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/payson/construction/

Photograph taken September 17, 2012, courtesy of Karl Bingham

Photograph taken September 17, 2012, courtesy of Alan Jensen

Photograph taken September 14, 2012, courtesy of Alan Jensen

Photograph taken September 11, 2012, courtesy of Alan Jensen

Photograph taken September 11, 2012, courtesy of Alan Jensen

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:28 PM

Utah Labor Market Brightens

Photo taken by Weber State University: http://www.weber.edu/WSUImages/WSUToday/Crowd-1.jpg

SALT LAKE CITY - As of August 2012, the number of employed Utahns is up 32,204 year-over-year while there are 10,384 fewer people without jobs - a clear sign that those who have lost jobs are re-entering the workforce while new participants are added. This steady increase of employment opportunities combined with a moderate decrease in the number of unemployed was enough to push the unemployment rate down a full percentage point from mid-2011 to its current level of 5.8%.

Though still short 64,338 jobs from Utah`s employment peak in 2008 - and with an unemployment rate still more than double the record-low of 2.4% reached in 2007 - the state`s job market is well on the mend from the Great Recession. Utah continues to follow the national employment trend of improving conditions, yet boasts an overall unemployment rate well below the 8.1% national average. Utah currently has the 9th-lowest unemployment rate in the nation.

Article by (Eco)nomy_404
Statistics retrieved from BLS - Utah Economy at a Glance:
http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ut.htm

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 11:39 PM

Update, Northern Metro - Station Park

The Standard Examinar

TOD/Retail Center continues to grow at breakneck pace

H&M coming to Farmington as retail center continues to grow

By Benjamin Woods, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...s-to-grow.html

FARMINGTON — They say the first rule of real estate is location, location, location.

The owners of Station Park apparently have found a winner as they prepare for the next phase of expansion at their multi-use retail center, conveniently nestled a stone's throw from the junction of I-15, Legacy Parkway, U.S. 89, a commuter rail line and a network of biking and walking trails.

On Tuesday, Station Park officials announced that several retailers had signed leases to occupy spaces currently under construction at the development's Village Center.

Construction at Station Park in Farmington, Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012. Ravell Call, Deseret News

Swedish clothier H&M will anchor one of three new retail and commercial buildings, which are expected to be completed in the spring of 2013. Other tenants will include Twig's Bistro, Republic of Couture, Francesca's Collections boutique, Charming Charlie and Bandito's Taqueria.

Several stores have opened their doors at Station Park in recent months, including Famous Footwear, Petco, Maurices, Torrid and Zumies.

Ravell Call, Deseret News

Two new pavilions are also under construction and are expected to be completed in time for the holiday season. The pavilions are located around the Village Center show fountain and will include a number of quick-serve eateries...

...When completed, Station Park will comprise roughly 1 million square feet of shopping, dining, entertainment, office space and hotel accommodations, she said.

Construction in the Village Center of Station Park in Farmington, Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012. (Ravell Call, Deseret News)

Last edited by delts145; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 6:03 PM

Downtown - Rendering Additions for the Hope Lodge Project - American Cancer Society @ http://www.facebook.com/AmericanCanc...type=3&theater

The Hope Lodge will be conveniently located for patients who come from all parts of Utah and from surrounding states for treatment at any one of its premiere cancer treatment centers.

The south-facing patio on the roof balcony offers patients and caregivers the chance to be outside to soak in the sunshine, read, or reflect while taking pleasure in a beautiful view of Mt. Olympus.

Each bedroom suite includes two beds with a small separate area for the caregiver to read, work or watch TV while the patient is resting.

The kitchen is the heart of the home and it is designed to be a place where individual meals are prepared, allowing caregivers and patients to reflect on the day and offer support to one another.

Guests may enjoy times of solitude in the garden to enjoy the calming touch of nature, or they may share a walk with friends or family. The restorative elements of nature are important in the healing process.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 3:18 AM

I'm happy about the Hope Lodge.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 4:36 PM

Me too Old&New. While I don't usually like to see a religious structures demise, that specific chapel was not executed particularly well. Colonial Revival can be very attractive, but that chapel had tried too hard to mix in a contemporary element that basically cheapened the colonial look. There are chapels from that era that are very attractive, warm and inviting, when the right palette and details are implemented.

I think the Hope Lodge will be a much more attractive addition for that corner. I'm very excited about how it's overlook engages the southeast corner of the block.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 7:58 PM

Lets talk about Fashion Place Mall. I LOVE that Utah is really stepping up its retail scene, especially with City Creek Center. And Fashion Place mall is starting to look awesome. But I have some questions I hope someone can help me with.

With Sears closing at Fashion Place, what do you guys think should replace it??? What would be some good stores to open at Fashion Place. Any news on any new stores?

I think that they should turn the old Sears into a Bloomingdales, and move that small Macy's into Dillards building. Then add a small retailer where Macys is... City Creek has stepped up the high end game.. Lets bring that to Fashion Place.. How about a Tiffanys, Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Saks, Neiman Marcus.. And that stupid Orogold store by Nordstrom.. What were they thinking opening that.. I have never seen one person in that store.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 8:00 PM

PS This awesome new restaurant opened down on approximately 4th South and 7th East. Its called Pizzeria Limone.. You cant find any better pizza in Utah. They opened a store on Fort Union.. I hope this one does well downtown. Try out the Viola or the Ferarri.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Me too Old&New. While I don't usually like to see a religious structures demise, that specific chapel was not executed particularly well. Colonial Revival can be very attractive, but that chapel had tried too hard to mix in a contemporary element that basically cheapened the colonial look. There are chapels from that era that are very attractive, warm and inviting, when the right palette and details are implemented.

I think the Hope Lodge will be a much more attractive addition for that corner. I'm very excited about how it's overlook engages the southeast corner of the block.
The LDS church might want to save the steeple, and put it on their planned South Temple chapel.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:27 PM

I think saving the steeple would be an excellent idea. Infact, given how much saving and reusing of construction materials the LDS Church has been doing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the materials will either be reused intact, or at least recycled into new products.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:32 PM

Photo Bump - Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

Pic By T-Mac

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 4:48 PM

Downtown - Photo Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

Very cool to see one of my photos on the wall of the HKS offices behind Mr. Junge's right shoulder. The photo is of downtown Salt Lake.

Pic By T-Mac

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations