HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:25 AM
Transit Geek

This spring or summer, we shall see whether Greg Rickford (Ontario Minister of Energy, Mines, Northern Development and Indigenous Affairs) is serious, or have been acting.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Manitoba will only ever twin the roads after the neighbouring provinces decide to move ahead with twinning their highways.

The TCH stretch from Virden to Sask remained two lane right up until Sask. decided to move ahead with twinning their section of the highway, and then MB got their part finished quickly.

The same will happen with the last section at the Ontario border. Once construction starts on the Ontario side, MB will start - but not a moment sooner.

The TCH from Winnipeg to Falcon Lake has been getting it's shoulders expanded and upgraded over the past few years for what I assume will be the eventual increase in the speed limit from 100 to 110 kmph.
I notice that the highway east of Winterpeg, Personitoba is paved with concrete. You guys must have a lot of money over there because here in BC that simply doesn't happen.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:25 AM
Transit Geek

"Personitoba"

What is that??

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:14 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
I notice that the highway east of Winterpeg, Personitoba is paved with concrete. You guys must have a lot of money over there because here in BC that simply doesn't happen.
Look at I-90 through SD, MN, and WS they all do that. Vast expanses of highway that have to endure harsh winters/summers and don’t get maintained regularly. Concrete makes the most sense since it’s much more durable.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's a "test section" of the TCH 104 in northern NS just east of Oxford measuring about 6-8 km in length that was made of concrete way back in the 1990s. It's about 25 years old now and it's truly remarkable how well it has held up. Other parts of the road have been repaved several times in the same time interval.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:58 AM

I was under the impression that while concrete roads last much longer, when the time does come to eventually redo them, it's way more work.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:46 AM
ARTchitecture

Whoops, wrong thread!

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:27 AM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
"Personitoba"

What is that??
Probably what Trudeau calls Manitoba.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

There's a "test section" of the TCH 104 in northern NS just east of Oxford measuring about 6-8 km in length that was made of concrete way back in the 1990s. It's about 25 years old now and it's truly remarkable how well it has held up. Other parts of the road have been repaved several times in the same time interval.
Yes....still a very nice section of highway to drive.....and there is also a concrete section on the eastbound lanes of the 101 between Windsor and Bedford

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
"Personitoba"

What is that??
That's the progressive gender neutral way of saying "Manitoba", you bigot.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Some is concrete, but I would say most of the TCH east of Winnipeg is asphalt (and westbound for that matter).

There is a ~20km test section between Winnipeg and highway 12 (turn off to Steinbach) where the TCH eastbound is concrete and the TCH westbound is asphalt.

That was probably done about 10 years ago.

I guess based on the long term data from this will be used to figure out if the costs of concrete are justified.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Some is concrete, but I would say most of the TCH east of Winnipeg is asphalt (and westbound for that matter).

There is a ~20km test section between Winnipeg and highway 12 (turn off to Steinbach) where the TCH eastbound is concrete and the TCH westbound is asphalt.

That was probably done about 10 years ago.

I guess based on the long term data from this will be used to figure out if the costs of concrete are justified.
That would be it. I've only ever driven east on highway 1 (came back west through the United Snakes of America). It was close to 10 years ago I drove that section. Very smooth at the time I thought. Reminded me driving south of here in Washington State with all their concrete highways.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:14 PM
Kneel before Irving

Quote:
Such a funny and original joke. Thanks for blessing our forum with your intelligent comedy.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:18 PM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot about it.

=======
Anyone been passing by Saint Antonin (Rivière du Loup) and taken pictures of the work progress? I've asked the same question at least 3 times. Also what about the upgraded Malahat Drive? (I saw a picture of the work site of the McKenzie interchange <Victoria, B.C.> somewhere.) What about Regina Bypass? ._.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 2:08 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

Quote:
Everything in Winnipeg is paved in concrete. The entire city is a medium beige colour, you can't tell where sidewalks end and streets begin. It's like a butter sculpture of itself.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:06 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I was under the impression that while concrete roads last much longer, when the time does come to eventually redo them, it's way more work.
I think you just answered your own question. It’s more work to resurface a highway with concrete because it last longer and is far more durable.

I love how there are “test sections” of concrete surface on the TCH. Like scientists are in a lab somewhere hard at work studying the results. The technology has been around for decades. In a deserted section of highway like east Manitoba concrete is absolutely the way to go. We only have to look South to I-90 or I-94 in Minnesota to see the benefits of it. What it comes down to is money plain and simple. Or stupidity. We have an abundance of one...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
I think you just answered your own question. It’s more work to resurface a highway with concrete because it last longer and is far more durable.

I love how there are “test sections” of concrete surface on the TCH. Like scientists are in a lab somewhere hard at work studying the results. The technology has been around for decades. In a deserted section of highway like east Manitoba concrete is absolutely the way to go. We only have to look South to I-90 or I-94 in Minnesota to see the benefits of it. What it comes down to is money plain and simple. Or stupidity. We have an abundance of one...
Freeze thaw cycles are the enemy of concrete, not cold temps. The 3rd and 4th segments of Calgary’s Deerfoot Trail were constructed of concrete between 1979 and 1982. The seals in the expansion joints had to be replaced almost every year as Calgary can experience over a hundred freeze thaw cycles per year. Around 2008, the concrete sections were covered in asphalt.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Freeze thaw cycles are the enemy of concrete, not cold temps. The 3rd and 4th segments of Calgary’s Deerfoot Trail were constructed of concrete between 1979 and 1982. The seals in the expansion joints had to be replaced almost every year as Calgary can experience over a hundred freeze thaw cycles per year. Around 2008, the concrete sections were covered in asphalt.
Fun fact.... Here in Ontario, we cover all our bridges with asphalt, but in some provinces. they keep the concrete bare.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:16 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Not a good example. Large swath of I-90 in Minnesota was resurfaced with concrete in the early 00’s. It still drives smooth and looks pristine.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:14 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Not a good example. Large swath of I-90 in Minnesota was resurfaced with concrete in the early 00’s. It still drives smooth and looks pristine.
Likely a lot fewer freeze-thaw cycles though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada