HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:59 PM

AC Q4 and year end results for 2018

Transcript from the CEO.

Financials aside, here are the key highlights, route wise.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/424...all-transcript

Quote:

We’re pleased with our domestic performance of our hubs in Montreal and Toronto and we continue to see gains in Eastern Canada.
We were particularly pleased with the performance of our service between Eastern Canada and California as well as between Eastern Canada and Florida and these markets have been key drivers of our success in the U.S.
Now moving to the trans-Atlantic, which was the best performing market in the quarter. On capacity growth of 9.5%, Atlantic revenues grew by very efficient 18% or $136 million driven by traffic growth of 14.5% and a yield improvement of 3%.... Traffic and yield improvements were recorded on all major Atlantic services. In the fourth quarter we extended many of our seasonal routes into November and December including our service to Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Athens and we were pleased with the performance of these extensions.
Our Atlantic franchise grew with the introduction of new nonstop service to Dublin, Lisbon and Bucharest from Montreal, Shannon, Puerto, Bucharest and Zagreb from Toronto and Zurich and Paris from Vancouver. For the year, virtually all our new routes over the Atlantic performed well having met or exceeded our expectations.
Our Pacific markets saw significant improvement in most major services in the fourth quarter. On a capacity reduction of 0.8%, revenue increased $49 million or 9.7% driven by a very strong yield improvement of 9.3%. The yield growth reflected increases in base fares and carrier surcharges as well as a general improvement in the overall fare mix...Our strategy in Tokyo continues to exceed our expectations where we consolidated our service from Toronto to Haneda and started our Narita service from Montreal. Previously we had operated in both Haneda and Narita from Toronto. Reducing capacity over the Pacific has had a positive impact on our performance and contributed to notable improvements in China and Hong Kong.
Services to Australia continue to be slightly under pressure from the present perspective due to the increased capacity from North America
Looking at the first quarter, we expect to see positive revenue, yield and PRASM performance over the Pacific although Canada to China is under some pressure partially due to geopolitical issue as well as ongoing competitive pressures. We're implementing tactical aircraft down gauges on our China exposure and redeployment capacity to the Atlantic.
Revenues from the remaining services increased $36 million or 14.5%, on traffic growth of 14% and to a lesser extent a yield improvement of 0.5%. The yield growth reflected strong improvements on services to the Caribbean and Mexico however the improvement on these services was largely offset by the continued impact of the significant increase in average stage length on services to South America.
Mexico continues to perform very well for us and we were able to successfully increase our capacity into this market with the Boeing 737 MAX. The MAX aircraft also enables us to successfully defend our market position and back to Guadalupe from Montreal despite new low-cost competitions.
Explains the recent downgauge in seats on YVR-PEK for next summer.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Feb 19, 2019 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I really don't see much of a difference, personally... I think they're both pretty attractive. And if you're sitting in economy, AC won't try to grind you for another few bucks for a meal during an 8 hour flight, so there's that too.
Westjet will be introducing complimentary meals in economy on 787s. Earbuds, Blanket and pillow also I think. The IFE screen is also significantly larger than AC.

The colour palette and overall ambiance is much nicer on the Westjet 787s imo, compared to AC which is mostly a sea of black

Last edited by Canadian74; Feb 19, 2019 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:31 AM

YYZ-PVG now also a 789, same ad YVR. Was a 777-300 previously. Smart move by AC, luckily their fleet had that flexibility.] so they can stay in a market but adjust as needed. YVR has 2 daily CA 777-300s that are codeshared by AC so they can afford to downgauge a bit and still have that *Alliance capacity.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 12:46 PM

A lot of route cut, and 1 route addition for this week's AC schedule change:

Mainline mid/long-hual equipment changes:
YYZ-SFO 789 replaces 77W (revert of last week's change)

New Rouge Route:
YYC-YXU 1x daily AC1698

Rouge Frequency Removed:
YYZ-YLW 1x daily

Express Frequency Removed:
YYZ-JAX 1x daily (route removed)
YWG-YXE 2x daily (route removed)
YWG-YQT 1x daily (route removed)
YUL-YUY 2x daily

Last edited by nname; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:01 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
Westjet will be introducing complimentary meals in economy on 787s. Blanket and pillow also I think. The IFE screen is also significantly larger than AC.

The colour palette and overall ambiance is much nicer on the Westjet 787s, compared to AC which is mostly a sea of black
Good news about the comp meals in economy, that was a must, as with blanket and pillow. For what it's worth I thought the IFE screen on Air Canada was fairly big, I have no problem with that... how much bigger is WestJet's?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Good news about the comp meals in economy, that was a must, as with blanket and pillow. For what it's worth I thought the IFE screen on Air Canada was fairly big, I have no problem with that... how much bigger is WestJet's?
AC Economy - 9", Westjet - 11.6"
AC Premium - 11", Westjet - 13.3"
AC Business - 18", Westjet - 18.5"

AC brags that they have the largest screen in business in north america, guess that will change.

Also I don't think AC Premium Y has self serve bar like westjet?

Last edited by Canadian74; Feb 19, 2019 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:44 PM

No one cares about colour shades or screen sizes. If Calgary-London is 1$ cheaper on AC, that's what they're flying.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I should clarify that the comp meals and seat amenities in Y are only on transatlantic flights, not domestic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
AC Economy - 9", Westjet - 11.6"
AC Premium - 11", Westjet - 13.3"
AC Business - 18", Westjet - 18.5"

AC brags that they have the largest screen in business in north america, guess that will change.

Also I don't think AC Premium Y has self serve bar like westjet?
The bar itself isn’t self serve. The snacks are though.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
A lot of route cut, and 1 route addition for this week's AC schedule change:

Mainline mid/long-hual equipment changes:
YYZ-SFO 789 replaces 77W (revert of last week's change)

New Rouge Route:
YYC-YXU 1x daily AC1698

Rouge Frequency Removed:
YYZ-YLW 1x daily

Express Frequency Removed:
YYZ-JAX 1x daily (route removed)
YWG-YXE 2x daily (route removed)
YWG-YQT 1x daily (route removed)
YUL-YUY 2x daily
Does this mean AC still has a 77W to deploy somewhere?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 2:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcaban View Post
Does this mean AC still has a 77W to deploy somewhere?
That depends - has it been fixed yet?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That depends - has it been fixed yet?
The one that suffered the tail strike is still out of service?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
The one that suffered the tail strike is still out of service?
Nope, it's back in service

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:36 PM
Heart of the Continent

Then that answers my question.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:07 PM

WestJet bails on Terrace-Calgary connection
Cites low passenger numbers

ROD LINK Feb. 21, 2019

WestJet is cancelling its twice-weekly Terrace-Calgary direct flights, just six months after introducing the service.

“While we understand this may come as disappointing news for the community, the route was not performing to expectations and as a result the decision was made to discontinue the service,” said WestJet official Morgan Bell Feb. 20.

The service cut the travel time between the Northwest Regional Airport and Calgary to just over two hours, avoiding having to fly to Vancouver first for a connecting flight.

https://www.interior-news.com/news/w...ry-connection/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
WestJet bails on Terrace-Calgary connection
Cites low passenger numbers

ROD LINK Feb. 21, 2019

WestJet is cancelling its twice-weekly Terrace-Calgary direct flights, just six months after introducing the service.

“While we understand this may come as disappointing news for the community, the route was not performing to expectations and as a result the decision was made to discontinue the service,” said WestJet official Morgan Bell Feb. 20.

The service cut the travel time between the Northwest Regional Airport and Calgary to just over two hours, avoiding having to fly to Vancouver first for a connecting flight.

https://www.interior-news.com/news/w...ry-connection/
The news release also says:

This isn’t the first time WestJet has tried and then cancelled direct flights to and from Calgary.

It and Air Canada both offered the direct service in 2015 at the height of liquefied natural gas development speculation in the northwest but both withdrew when passenger numbers failed to live up to expectations.

WestJet’s Bell did add the airline is adding two flights to and from Vancouver this spring to bolster connections to and from that major hub.

“During peak season, WestJet will now operate 15 flights per week between Terrace and Vancouver,” she said.

Airlines are so odd in starting and ending routes like that, it shows sometimes they just have aircraft and want to use it somewhere. And then other times they start a route just because someone else is doing it. I feel like the newly announced YYC-YXU Rouge route fits into this category. They are just trying to take something from WS, but I don't think it will work, and could think of many other leisure routes that could be done other than YYC-YXU. But apparently is just to find a place for the LAS rotation, but still...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 11:24 PM

Flair suddenly cancels many US flights, screwing up people's vacation plans. It always amazes me people will roll the dice on these outfits:

Canadian carrier Flair Airlines has suddenly suspended some of its flights to destinations in Florida and California as of next week, leaving some customers in the lurch.

The Kelowna-based airline, which only recently expanded its service to include U.S. destinations, surprised many of its customers with the unexpected news this week.

Flair customers have complained that March break holiday plans have been thrown up in the air because of the sudden decision, which apparently only includes destinations in Florida and California...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fla...ions-1.5028320

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:26 AM

Reminds me of JetsGo around Marchbreak.....14 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:08 AM

The sudden arrival of two ULCC on top of established AC and WS was a recipe for issues IMO. Yes this is like Jetsgo, and Harmony, and Canjet etc. I am not sure why these startups think they can just make it work. Honestly there isn't even a year round non-stop on any carrier between YVR and YHZ, two of the major centres of this country. I know it is a long distance etc etc but still, if even that can't be done, how are all these other minor route pairings supposed to be profitable?

I wish I knew more about aircraft economics, because it stills baffles me that Air Canada would put a daily Rouge on YYC-YHZ and not even consider a non-stop between YVR and YHZ, there has to be something with that extra distance that just trashes the economics of it. You'd think AC would at least do it as a summer route, considering WS does it, and YVR is supposedly an AC hub

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:42 AM

The Rouge A319s dont have the range to fly YVR-YHZ and the 767-300 is way too big to be deployed on that route. The 737MAX could do it so maybe when those are all delivered you might see AC try it with that aircraft.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I wish I knew more about aircraft economics, because it stills baffles me that Air Canada would put a daily Rouge on YYC-YHZ and not even consider a non-stop between YVR and YHZ, there has to be something with that extra distance that just trashes the economics of it......
I think it’s more the economics of the traffic available between YYC (& YEG) and YHZ. Just within my family and group of friends…..lots of ties to Alberta and I can probably say that for many others here in the Atlantic Provinces. Not so much with BC.

Before the slowdown in the oil industry.....there were even nonstop between Ft. McMurray and Newfoundland.

Last edited by ghYHZ; Feb 22, 2019 at 11:18 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada