HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Which of those neighbourhooods have good local bus transit service?
Why does it matter if it a bus or train?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Why does it matter if it a bus or train?
I believe his comment relates to those areas that are not within reasonable walking distance of the Confederation Line. When you look at pedestrian access, between Hurdman and Blair, relatively few residences are within walking distance. Mind you, access from private parking lots and highways to the Confederation Line is much easier.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I believe his comment relates to those areas that are not within reasonable walking distance of the Confederation Line. When you look at pedestrian access, between Hurdman and Blair, relatively few residences are within walking distance. Mind you, access from private parking lots and highways to the Confederation Line is much easier.
On our last house hunt we looked at a newly built semi in Eastview Garedens, 5 minute walk to St Laurent station and also served by a local route maybe a minute away. We also looked at an 90s detached house in Carson Grove, about 3 minutes from a local bus and 15 minute walk to Cyrville station. Also a 90s townhouse a 5 minute walk from Blair Station, and also served by a local bus, a townhouse off Cummings, one minute to a local bus and a 15 minute walk to Cyrville. We also looked at an 80s detached house in pineview, about 10 minutes walk to Blair.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:56 AM

I am so very confused with this picture. The tunnel is there. We can see the elevator shafts. Was it built years before they opened the Transitway Station?

https://twitter.com/PoutineSuplex/st...92604074549249

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
On our last house hunt we looked at a newly built semi in Eastview Garedens, 5 minute walk to St Laurent station and also served by a local route maybe a minute away. We also looked at an 90s detached house in Carson Grove, about 3 minutes from a local bus and 15 minute walk to Cyrville station. Also a 90s townhouse a 5 minute walk from Blair Station, and also served by a local bus, a townhouse off Cummings, one minute to a local bus and a 15 minute walk to Cyrville. We also looked at an 80s detached house in pineview, about 10 minutes walk to Blair.
And your point is? I didn't say nobody could walk to the Confederation Line. Parts of Pineview and Eastway Gardens might be walkable. Also a small area near Hurdman Station. But that represents a very small portion of those living east of the Rideau River. I don't think too many will want to walk from north of Ogilvie Road to Cyrville Station. That is a long trek that isn't particularly pedestrian friendly. And this leads us back to the original comment about inadequate local transit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I am so very confused with this picture. The tunnel is there. We can see the elevator shafts. Was it built years before they opened the Transitway Station?

https://twitter.com/PoutineSuplex/st...92604074549249
Based on the barriers showing in the photo, this is likely around the time when St. Laurent station opened in November 1987. The station format has not significantly changed since it opened.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
And your point is? I didn't say nobody could walk to the Confederation Line. Parts of Pineview and Eastway Gardens might be walkable. Also a small area near Hurdman Station. But that represents a very small portion of those living east of the Rideau River. I don't think too many will want to walk from north of Ogilvie Road to Cyrville Station. That is a long trek that isn't particularly pedestrian friendly. And this leads us back to the original comment about inadequate local transit.
My point was that if middle class people want to have a transit-oriented lifestyle there are lots of good options available in various types of houses and that most people who want this lifestyle will avail themselves of these options. It makes little sense to move to a distant exurb and winge that it is inconvenient to go grocery shopping by transit.

Last edited by acottawa; Feb 22, 2019 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Based on the barriers showing in the photo, this is likely around the time when St. Laurent station opened in November 1987. The station format has not significantly changed since it opened.
Would you happen to remember why they started off with the cheaper upper level structures and when they built the traditional red-piping buildings and costumer service centre?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:26 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Would you happen to remember why they started off with the cheaper upper level structures and when they built the traditional red-piping buildings and costumer service centre?
Those structures you see in the photo were never meant to be anything other than temporary. I guess the red tubing was on order or back-order at the time.

IIRC St. Laurent was the only station that got this type of temporary set-up.

Hurdman, for example, just a had a whole bunch of these bus shelters as a "station" at first:

http://piifa.ca/ice-hut-rental.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:41 PM
The Existing Person

Really! Until they closed the Transitway there, wasn't Hurdman always just a bunch of bus shelters? (I never actually went past Mackenzie King except twice) ...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Those structures you see in the photo were never meant to be anything other than temporary. I guess the red tubing was on order or back-order at the time.

IIRC St. Laurent was the only station that got this type of temporary set-up.

Hurdman, for example, just a had a whole bunch of these bus shelters as a "station" at first:

http://piifa.ca/ice-hut-rental.html
Thanks for the info!

Off topic, but I've always wondered. What's the story behind the Lone Start/IP Looney's building across the street from St-Laurent? It looks like an old farm house with a barn attached to it. Was the farm house always there or did the IP Looney's people have one moved to that spot for their restaurant?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/IPLooneys/posts/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...50929435293125

Last edited by J.OT13; Feb 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

Off topic, but I've always wondered. What's the story behind the Lone Start/IP Looney's building across the street from St-Laurent? It looks like an old farm house with a barn attached to it. Was the farm house always there or did the IP Looney's people have one moved to that spot for their restaurant?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/IPLooneys/posts/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...50929435293125
Air photos show that there was no building exactly on that spot before. There was a building slightly north but it is not the same building. As far as I remember, this was a new building made to look like an old farm house. It opened in late March 1980 according to the newspaper archives.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Feb 22, 2019 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:37 PM

Walking around, it looks like an older building. Even the brick (hard to tell because it's painted, but still). Though the proportions look a little too wide and the windows too small. You're probably right that it is a new building made to look like an old farm house. Not sure how it fit into the I.P. Looney theme, if they were the original developer. Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:45 PM
Pro Trivia Player

That's interesting. I would have thought the IP Looney's building in the first photo was an old farmhouse that had always been there. It's consistent with the style you often see in Eastern Ontario and that area was actually an old French Canadian village 50-60 years ago. I believe it was called Cyrville (hence the name of the road) or perhaps Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, or maybe both but during different periods.

The village church still stands here: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wD3oECAUQCw

The presbytère is just off to the back of it.

It was founded about 150 years ago and called Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes and was still a francophone parish until fairly recently I think, which was in itself a bit of a miracle as any traces (physical or human) of the old village had largely vanished by the 80s and 90s. (Though it's true some places of worship still subsist in areas that their "flock" have mostly abandoned for greener pastures, as families still have their habits and return their old neighbourhood for religious and other activities. Ottawa's Little Italy is kind of like this - relatively few people of Italian origin still live in the area.)

Anyway, Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes is now a Chinese Catholic church apparently.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:02 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Even more off-topic...

Now that I think of it my family's first VCR was bought from a furniture store called Lepage & Robillard which was located near the corner of Cyrville and Ogilvie.

That furniture store was one of a handful of francophone businesses that remained from the village's olden days. At the time the whole area was rapidly transitioning from rural fringe to suburban.

We didn't live in the area but our community which was quite a bit further out didn't have anywhere that sold VCRs and the highway links to that part of Ottawa were good so that's where we went for lots of stuff.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Really! Until they closed the Transitway there, wasn't Hurdman always just a bunch of bus shelters? (I never actually went past Mackenzie King except twice) ...
No people actually live in the apartment buildings nearby

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Walking around, it looks like an older building. Even the brick (hard to tell because it's painted, but still). Though the proportions look a little too wide and the windows too small. You're probably right that it is a new building made to look like an old farm house. Not sure how it fit into the I.P. Looney theme, if they were the original developer. Thanks!
There was a story about the theme, which involved a fictitious Irish family (the I.P. Looney's) who settled in Gloucester and had 29 children. The family established a restaurant. The servers were supposed to be members of the 29 children.

It is very possible that they used old brick and barn board. There was a big splash when this restaurant opened. It was quite unique in design and was a fun place to go to.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. I would have thought the IP Looney's building in the first photo was an old farmhouse that had always been there. It's consistent with the style you often see in Eastern Ontario and that area was actually an old French Canadian village 50-60 years ago. I believe it was called Cyrville (hence the name of the road) or perhaps Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, or maybe both but during different periods.

The village church still stands here: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wD3oECAUQCw

The presbytère is just off to the back of it.

It was founded about 150 years ago and called Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes and was still a francophone parish until fairly recently I think, which was in itself a bit of a miracle as any traces (physical or human) of the old village had largely vanished by the 80s and 90s. (Though it's true some places of worship still subsist in areas that their "flock" have mostly abandoned for greener pastures, as families still have their habits and return their old neighbourhood for religious and other activities. Ottawa's Little Italy is kind of like this - relatively few people of Italian origin still live in the area.)

Anyway, Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes is now a Chinese Catholic church apparently.
A number of the old Cyrville village buildings were just torn down in the last couple of years. The church lost its congregation once the area south of the Queensway was converted from residential to commercial. The two Cyrville schools, which were next to IP Looney's on the south side closed in the 1970s.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Even more off-topic...

Now that I think of it my family's first VCR was bought from a furniture store called Lepage & Robillard which was located near the corner of Cyrville and Ogilvie.

That furniture store was one of a handful of francophone businesses that remained from the village's olden days. At the time the whole area was rapidly transitioning from rural fringe to suburban.

We didn't live in the area but our community which was quite a bit further out didn't have anywhere that sold VCRs and the highway links to that part of Ottawa were good so that's where we went for lots of stuff.
Yep, I remember that business. I believe there was another francophone furniture store at Cummings and Ogilvie. It is hard to believe that Cyrville was a separate village with a definite francophone culture until quite recently.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Hurdman was a substantial station until it closed. Not just shelters. Wasn't there even a convenience store there for a while?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation