HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
Geez, get a grip and quit whinning. SLC, as a city, is dynamic and is becoming a business conduit that is going to make the city an area that will grow rapidly with a dynamic center where things happen.

I left SLC almost 25 years ago. The SLC of now dwarfs what I left.

Whining and woah is me regarding a high rise design is hilarious. Those buildings will be coming.

If you read around in business magazines or urban design magazines then you see really how signigicant SLC is looked at.

If you go to lesser cities like Omaha and Des Moines etc, you will see much more high rise design YET when you drive a few blocks out of the DT you notice a decided not urban territory that makes you think of South Dakota .

SLC is going to be a major force. Remember you build if you need to build. That will happen in a big way. Now, is not the right economic time. SLC is lucky that it has a dynamic view of how the downtown will integrate. They are building for need and focus now. The real expansion can now happen fluently as DT core is making smart choices and not just to build what should be built when the need arises.

SLC is going to be a kick a$$ business central and not just a hotel Vegas.

I have loved high rise design since I was about 10. Fascinating to the max. However, I have been lucky to work and travel. Many larger downtowns are lame and congested and totally without focus. SLC has the space and chance to create something that is elegant and useful. SLC is being proactive within realistic control.

THANKYOU Rick, I couldn't agree more. Pretty much everything you said was right on and to the point, and it bears repeating over and over again.

There have been so many giant, iconic projects to hit Downtown Salt Lake City over the past fifteen years. Whether it was TRAX, The Gateway, The Library, The Conference Center,The Grand, CCC, etc., or perhaps the innumerable restorations of Salt Lake City's unsurpassed historical treasures. And now, even as the economy is at a complete standstill in most cities, Salt Lake is erecting a long list of impressive infill.

Yes Rick, DYNAMIC is certainly a good word to use, especially with this fantastic Mayor SLC has been lucky enough to snag. No doubt this Mayor and City Hall will continue to bring divergent political interests together, in order to continue building upon a vision of what Salt Lake City is rapidly becoming.

Mayor Becker is a unique soul. He is loved, respected and admired by members of both political parties. When he pushes a cause that most of us would passionately care about, Capitol Hill listens...period. Believe me...it's a much different situation now than his predecessor.

The Towers will come, given a reasonably sound economy. Salt Lake is no longer a provincial only economy. Along with the towers, there will be clean streets, a homeless situation that is handled with focus and care, enviable mass transit, magnificent, monumental public buildings and squares. There is about to be a major influx of 'new to the area' retail, along with a dynamic increase of local only shops, and the continuation, and even accelerated pace of attractive infill construction.

Again, a lot has been accomplished, and yes, there remains a lot to do. The important thing, as you so correctly pointed out Rick, is that SLC is going forward in a very brisk, dynamic and smart fashion. With the many recent and continuing projects, from small and lovely to gigantic and impressive, even on a world scale, I'm hardly about to lament the pace of progress in Salt Lake City.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 1, 2011 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 3:33 PM

What's going in at 300 W and 500 N? Trenches are being made and lot's of dirt has been moved around. Something's definitely going on. I'll post pics later. Too rainy this morning to justify the effort.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 4:24 PM

Be prepared to be underwhelmed about the project located at 477 N 300 W...it's a Family Dollar.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 4:45 PM

Family Dollar? For real? Forget the pics then.
The very least they can do is throw the building all the way up to the sidewalk.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 5:33 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sock puppet View Post
Family Dollar? For real? Forget the pics then.
The very least they can do is throw the building all the way up to the sidewalk.
...and build a few stories of residential above.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 6:42 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Be prepared to be underwhelmed about the project located at 477 N 300 W...it's a Family Dollar.
Its like a dream come true. Lol
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 7:08 PM

Too bad that they didn't just lease one of the empty storefronts in the retail portion of the stalled marmalade project a block north.

Last edited by arkhitektor; Aug 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 7:10 PM

Well, I think the old gas station that was there would have looked better than a Family Dollar store. There is a Family Dollar right next door to the office building I am in on 500 West in Woods Cross. What a piece of crap it is. A giant square box painted gray with a sign above the doors.

Here is the old gas station that used to be there.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 11:58 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
Geez, get a grip and quit whinning. SLC, as a city, is dynamic and is becoming a business conduit that is going to make the city an area that will grow rapidly with a dynamic center where things happen.

I left SLC almost 25 years ago. The SLC of now dwarfs what I left.

Whining and woah is me regarding a high rise design is hilarious. Those buildings will be coming.

If you read around in business magazines or urban design magazines then you see really how signigicant SLC is looked at.

If you go to lesser cities like Omaha and Des Moines etc, you will see much more high rise design YET when you drive a few blocks out of the DT you notice a decided not urban territory that makes you think of South Dakota .

SLC is going to be a major force. Remember you build if you need to build. That will happen in a big way. Now, is not the right economic time. SLC is lucky that it has a dynamic view of how the downtown will integrate. They are building for need and focus now. The real expansion can now happen fluently as DT core is making smart choices and not just to build what should be built when the need arises.

SLC is going to be a kick a$$ business central and not just a hotel Vegas.

I have loved high rise design since I was about 10. Fascinating to the max. However, I have been lucky to work and travel. Many larger downtowns are lame and congested and totally without focus. SLC has the space and chance to create something that is elegant and useful. SLC is being proactive within realistic control.

No one is whining, but many of us are enthusiasts; deal with it!

1. No one is disputing that SLC is doing better than it was 25 years ago, but that was a low bar to clear and we can always do better.

2. Though we didn't enter the car and freeway age perfectly, we still didn't murder as much of our downtown as most cities out West and we deserve a pat on the back. Pat. Pat. Okay now it's time to focus on improving.

3. Utah is a great state for doing business and so is the SLC metro. The question is how can we best use this time to create the most livable community and encourage businesses to develop near transit and downtown.

We aren't Debbie downers, just enthusiasts. So don't confuse getting down to the nitty gritty as whining. At some point you stop self congratulating and start preparing to run a longer distance in a shorter amount of time.

I'm excited and grateful for everything downtown being built and on the way shortly like the City Creek Center, the new Federal Courthouse, the new Public Safety Building, the new TRAX North Temple mixed use viaduct with the new Gateway Office Building, the new Childrens' Theatre mixed use housing project on State Street, the new Questar Building, the new Broadway Theatre w/ future Office Tower, the new addition to the Capitol Theatre, the new apartments springing up around the city, all the developments and expansions at the U of U (in sports and academia), the new Public Market in the Rio Grande Depot near Pioneer Park which is becoming less of a drug dealing hot spot and more of a community center (especially with the success of the Twilight Concerts). I could say more but you get the idea.

No one has forgotten these exciting things; were just talking about what needs to be done to take it up a notch. And if taking about weak areas makes people uncomfortable, it's probably because they don't like to exercise .

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 8:07 PM

This is why we need a better downtown, also. We need a downtown that is attractive to visitors, because they spread the word about SLC. And, that has a big impact on other people's perception of the place and potentially impacts the vitality of the region. I really wish we had a tall highrise hotel and more developments to fill in the holes of the convention/restaurant area. More restaurants, entertainment, and housing above them, is what I would wish for the area on 200s. and 300s. between Main and the Gateway.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...s-to-Utah.html

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 11:36 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is why we need a better downtown, also. We need a downtown that is attractive to visitors, because they spread the word about SLC. And, that has a big impact on other people's perception of the place and potentially impacts the vitality of the region. I really wish we had a tall highrise hotel and more developments to fill in the holes of the convention/restaurant area. More restaurants, entertainment, and housing above them, is what I would wish for the area on 200s. and 300s. between Main and the Gateway.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...s-to-Utah.html
I agree on the hotel thing. All the hotels other then grand America have a cheap negeric 1980's look. The shilo inn needs to be imploded and put out of our misery.... That thing looks like something you might have found in down town las Vegas in the 80's. Half the lights on the building are burned out... Just the extra touch that an already hidious looking building needs to make it seem all that more special.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 11:38 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
THANKYOU Rick, I couldn't agree more. Pretty much everything you said was right on and to the point, and it bears repeating over and over again.

There have been so many giant, iconic projects to hit Downtown Salt Lake City over the past fifteen years. Whether it was TRAX, The Gateway, The Library, The Conference Center,The Grand, CCC, etc., or perhaps the innumerable restorations of Salt Lake City's unsurpassed historical treasures. And now, even as the economy is at a complete standstill in most cities, Salt Lake is erecting a long list of impressive infill.
That's the big flaw in your argument right there. Salt Lake City has seen consistent growth downtown over the last 40 to 50 years and it hasn't directly resulted in any dramatic changes.

I mean, I'd wager the 60s, 70s and 80s saw the most important growth of downtown Salt Lake City due to not only a vast majority of its skyline being established, but important landmarks were also created. The Salt Palace became a first-class arena for the city, something it had lacked up until 1969, in anticipation for getting the '72 Winter Olympics. Abravanel Hall opened up in 1979, bringing a truly word-class performance hall for the Utah Symphony.

You had the creation of ZCMI Center and Crossroads in the 1975 and 1980 respectively.

So downtown was not without its development.

But Main Street continued to wither away and die, even with malls anchoring the northern end. Much of the city fell to blight around downtown, even though new towers were being constructed every other year. We had the Utah Jazz now playing in downtown, even though the city still had limited entertainment options.

That's the point. Salt Lake is seeing great things, but we've been seeing great things for a long, long time. Has downtown improved? Sure! But it's still not at the level any of us hope (and if it is, you're mighty easy to please) and, knowing many who posted here in 2002, expected back when the Olympics rolled into town.

We've made good strides recently, but sadly, much of the same problems inflicting downtown in the 80s continues today. We're not a night-time city. Our sidewalks often do roll up after five and are eerily deserted on the weekends. There are moments, of course, with the likes of the Twilight Concert series and Jazz games and other events, but it's consecrated to certain areas and doesn't spill over to the core of the city.

Honestly, Main Street today isn't any better than it was ten years ago. It's still barely staying alive and it's disappointing, with all the talk about how this or that will improve the situation, we're still trying to figure out how to fix Main Street.

Now the big question will be whether or not City Creek will help all of Main Street or do what the other two malls did and take people off the street and force them to the center of block.

Sure, it looks nifty and pretty and it's an outdoor mall most of the time, but is it going to benefit the retail areas south of 100 S?

Is it going to help the areas not located inside the blocks?

I believe those are legitimate questions that we can ask without being called whiners.

And that doesn't even begin to discuss the area west of Main Street to the Gateway - which has been largely untouched and ignored since they bulldozed Japantown to build The Salt Palace.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 11:54 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I agree on the hotel thing. All the hotels other then grand America have a cheap negeric 1980's look. The shilo inn needs to be imploded and put out of our misery.... That thing looks like something you might have found in down town las Vegas in the 80's. Half the lights on the building are burned out... Just the extra touch that an already hidious looking building needs to make it seem all that more special.
Here's an idea. The salt palace could buy the shilo in, rip that nasty ass thing down. Then they could use the land to let convention related 18 wheelers park instead of closing off the 200 west under-pass all the time.

The salt palace is an object that I think would go nice along 400 west or behind the gateway somewhere. It really devides the city, and closing off the surrounding streets all of the time doesn't help either. I would like to see 100 south opened back up and the underpass on 200 west filled in and opened back up. They could build some hotels in it's place.... Maybe even rebuild Japan town... Then they could have a tram going from the hotels to the relocated salt palace.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 1:56 AM

Convention Hotel may not be too far off after all according to the Trib

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...-salt.html.csp

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:25 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
When I was 8 back in 88, I visited Circus Circus for the first time and thought all the lights of Vegas were cool. I remember coming home and seeing the Shilo Inn and thinking hey thats cool its like Vegas. But now that I am older, I do find it very tacky and don't see it as much of an addition to Salt Lakes style.

And I LMAO on the imploding comment.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:53 AM
They all float down here

I still like the Christmas tree made out of lights they throw up on the roof every Christmas.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 3:33 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
When I was 8 back in 88, I visited Circus Circus for the first time and thought all the lights of Vegas were cool. I remember coming home and seeing the Shilo Inn and thinking hey thats cool its like Vegas. But now that I am older, I do find it very tacky and don't see it as much of an addition to Salt Lakes style.

And I LMAO on the imploding comment.
Check this out... I'm not even joking

Shilo inn

Vegas plaza

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 3:41 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosePark View Post

That would be awesome... They should build it on the empty block between north temple, south temple, 200 w, & 300 west.. It's right across the street from the salt palace and about half way between city creek and gateway. It would also fill in the gaping hole left by the triad centers failure

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:03 AM
The Drifter

Quote:

Interesting how this article shows up just after our discussion on the subject here on the forums. Wonder if a lurker thought it would be a good story to look into?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:44 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:

Cool, now lets all get our act together and make this happen. I hate hearing that we are losing business to places like denver. SLC is way pass due for this hotel.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West