HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 1:36 PM

Detroit 2017

I haven't posted on here in awhile, I have visited many places over the last year and want to share my photos. Hopefully they upload alright. Here are some photos from Detroit I took on a recent Road Trip to Toronto, Canada(I will be uploading those soon). We only spent about 24 hours in Detroit, but it was a great experience, the city was very lively and downtown was vibrant and full of energy.

Windsor Canada:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 8:55 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Excellent pics of the Motor City and its smaller Canadian sibling.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:05 PM

It's obviously still work in progress but Detroit clearly hasn't yet established the downtown residential base/threshold to change the very desolate and empty feel of it's thoroughfares during non-work hours.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:21 PM
Community Guy

Maybe the best Detroit thread I have ever seen, wow.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 8:16 PM

Great pictures. That pedestrian bridge between those two buildings is really cool. What really is the purpose of it? Does a big company have offices in both buildings?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Great pictures. That pedestrian bridge between those two buildings is really cool. What really is the purpose of it? Does a big company have offices in both buildings?
Sort of. I'm assuming you're talking about One Woodward Avenue, the white modernist building, and the Guardian Building, the orange art deco building.

One Woodward Avenue was originally built as the HQ for the Michigan Consolidated Gas Company (aka MichCon) in the 1960s. In the 1980s, MichCon was split up and part of the offices were moved into the Guardian Building while One Woodward Detroit was used for the parent company, American Natural Resources (or vice versa, not really sure). Either way, the pedestrian bridge was built then to connect the offices of both companies.

These days, MichCon has been absorbed into DTE and ANR was absorbed into some Houston-based company. Currently OWA is owned by Dan Gilbert and includes office space occupied by Quicken Loans and the eastern Michigan HQ for Fifth Third Bank as well as some other tenants. The Guardian Building is mostly used as office space for Wayne County.

The bridge has no real functional use anymore, but it's too much of a hassle to get rid of it and no one's really complained about it so it's just there now. Might be useful in the even of an evacuation of either building though.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 3:47 AM
somewhere in-between

Great photos of a great city. You covered some good ground in 24 hours.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Excellent pics of the Motor City and its smaller Canadian sibling.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
It's obviously still work in progress but Detroit clearly hasn't yet established the downtown residential base/threshold to change the very desolate and empty feel of it's thoroughfares during non-work hours.

There were pockets of downtown that were pretty poppin but there was some sort of dance festival happening so that may have brought more people downtown than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Maybe the best Detroit thread I have ever seen, wow.
Much appreciated! It was/is a gorgeous city

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Sort of. I'm assuming you're talking about One Woodward Avenue, the white modernist building, and the Guardian Building, the orange art deco building.

One Woodward Avenue was originally built as the HQ for the Michigan Consolidated Gas Company (aka MichCon) in the 1960s. In the 1980s, MichCon was split up and part of the offices were moved into the Guardian Building while One Woodward Detroit was used for the parent company, American Natural Resources (or vice versa, not really sure). Either way, the pedestrian bridge was built then to connect the offices of both companies.

These days, MichCon has been absorbed into DTE and ANR was absorbed into some Houston-based company. Currently OWA is owned by Dan Gilbert and includes office space occupied by Quicken Loans and the eastern Michigan HQ for Fifth Third Bank as well as some other tenants. The Guardian Building is mostly used as office space for Wayne County.

The bridge has no real functional use anymore, but it's too much of a hassle to get rid of it and no one's really complained about it so it's just there now. Might be useful in the even of an evacuation of either building though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Great photos of a great city. You covered some good ground in 24 hours.
Thank you!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidknmo View Post
There were pockets of downtown that were pretty poppin but there was some sort of dance festival happening so that may have brought more people downtown than normal.
You might be referring to the Movement Festival which means this was probably a Saturday or Sunday when you came through.

Most everything is closed by 6 (if open at all) on Sunday so it shouldn't be too surprising to see a lack of people on the street by then.

If it was a Monday, there would have been a lot more traffic and activity even in after work hours.

Edit: Also just remembered that was a holiday weekend. Most people head out of town anyway so either way it's a low time for traffic all over.

Last edited by animatedmartian; Jun 18, 2017 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 4:16 AM

^ The sidewalk on Woodward is also blocked on both sides right there do to construction may have something to do with the lack of pedestrian traffic in that pic. Just below the barricade around campus martius there seemed to be a decent number of people out and about.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:39 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

It's an aberration, but strangely very Detroit. Personally, I'd rather the thing be taken down, but really only because the Guardian Building is one of the most beautiful buildings in the country.

Quote:

The water tank, on the other hand. I hope that stays forever. Also, in the foreground, I saw quite a bit of activity going on at the Metropolitan Building a few weeks ago. Can't wait to see that one cleaned up, as well as the Wurlitzer.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:46 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I like it a lot.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:36 AM

What a magnificent collection of 1920s skyscrapers--Penobscot, Guardian, David Stott, Cadillac Tower, Book Tower. National treasures that will always make Detroit special IMO.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean;
It's an aberration, but strangely very Detroit. Personally, I'd rather the thing be taken down, but really only because the Guardian Building is one of the most beautiful buildings in the country.

Haha yeah indeed very Detroit, i'm not even sure if the skywalk is even used anymore i think its use was because MichCon had offices in both buildings. That's also beside the point not only is the Guardian Building one of the most beautiful buildings in the country but its the first skyscraper designed by Detroit's own Minoru Yamasaki who incorporated elements of One Woodward Avenue into his design for the Twin Towers.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:20 PM

I would like that skybridge much better if it was (1) totally true to the Japanese modern building, which is not the case, or (2) if it was cladded in sleek transparent glass only.

Pretty sure they can do either option by now. For now, it looks like an out-of-place adjunction.

The invasive Japanese modern design (i.e. (1)) would be the best symbolically, since Japan has been so influential since the 1970s. They should reproduce the very same materials. The fact that the former NYC WTC was a rip-off doesn't even matter. The symbol goes beyond that.

Last edited by LMich; Jul 18, 2017 at 3:16 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos