HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 3:26 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I can't find the link to the story here, because Channel 2's website sucks, but on the 10:00 news last night there was a long story about this. They said that the Outdoor Retailers convention is booked in SLC through 2014, but that they're looking to move someplace else for two reasons: they've outgrown the convention space available at the Salt Palace, but even more that they use every hotel room available. I know in the past attendees have stayed as far away as Park City, Ogden and Provo, which has got to be obnoxious.

The director of the convention said at least three times "we want to stay in SLC, but we aren't able to without more convention space and a big ol' hotel." And then they kept coming back to some guy (sorry, I was counting on the story being available online, so I don't remember his name or position) who said, "we're trying to get a big hotel here..."

Anyway. Yeah. More fuel for the fire. I know there will be people saying "but that's only for one week per year, we need more big conventions to justify it..." I think this is a case where we don't know what exactly we're missing out on because we don't have the convention/hotel space to lure the bigger conventions to town. If we build it, will they come?
I saw this same story on 2news last also and the first thing i thought of was.......as big as the outdoor retail show is here there is NO WAY salt lake will let them leave. SLC will do whatever it takes to keep them here beyond 2014. That meanss we should get this hotel sooner rather then later. It would take three years to build a hotel of that size meaning to have the outdoor retail here in 2015 we will need to break ground on the hotel this time next year. So by the end of this year the will have to pick a site and have a developer. I think we will learn alot more about the hotel by late this year into early next year.
As for adding onto the Salt Palace, im not really sure where else they can build out. It already takes up two and a half city blocks. Maybe they can build upwards somehow instead of outwards. I dont think i want to see it take up even more blocks. Up is the only way to go imho.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 3:35 PM

Apartments near full capacity in Salt Lake valley

Finding an apartment to rent in the Salt Lake Valley is not as easy as it once was. Recent data show that residential rental properties are near capacity with vacancy rates at their lowest levels in three years.

Data compiled by the Salt Lake office of Apartment Realty Advisors indicated that the 2011 mid-year overall vacancy rate for apartment properties with at least 20 units was 5.3 percent with an average rental rate of $769 per unit.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 7:56 PM

Article from the Salt Lake Tribune about the Utah Theater. No major update, but an interesting read.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/enterta...-howa.html.csp

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 11:18 PM
They all float down here

A few years ago, there was a big hubbub over the Outdoor Retailer Show leaving SLC because the Salt Palace wasn't large enough.

Here's an article from the Tribune on this (dated 2004):

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...eyword=&qtype=

Quote:
The Outdoor Retailer trade shows, Salt Lake City's largest conventions, will remain in Utah along with the annual $32 million they generate annually for Utah's economy, industry leaders announced Wednesday.

But the victory did not come easy, nor will it be cheap.

The Outdoor Industry Association's decision to keep the shows in Utah is "contingent on the state of Utah's continued partnership with OIA to promote a recreation economy and to protect its recreation gems, and the timely and complete expansion of the Salt Palace" Convention Center at a cost of $58 million to $64 million, said OIA board member Lee Fromson, president of Cascade Designs.
With the county already footing the bill to expand the Salt Palace, they might be hesitant to give into their demands for a convention hotel not even ten years later.

Then again, it's a huge, huge economic driver. The city and Utah would probably lose more money over the long haul if they lost the convention than it would cost to develop a new 1,000 room hotel.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 6:02 AM

I've worked at the Outdoor Retailers convention for four years now and this summer market was the most crowded I've ever seen it; there really seemed to be no space whatsoever. There was even an additional tent that was crammed itself, which I know isn't the first time, but definitely the first time since I've worked there.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 11:18 AM

I know a couple of seasons ago they even used parts of the ES Center. As suggested, I think Corroon and company will see that over the long term,(or even the mid-term for that matter)we need to get going on the hotel now. The entire counties hotel rooms are filled up for these conventions, and that's even with the addition of the major hotel. The Outdoor Retailers is only going to continue to grow. I think many conventioneers would opt to stay in places like Snowbird or the Park City area anyway, but that should be a choice, not a constraint.

It would be cool to see the project include not only perhaps a Super Hilton or Marriott, but also a Waldorf-Astoria or Ritz as a boutique companion. This could be something of the same setup as LA's new Center, as the Marriott/Ritz and Hilton/Waldorf-Astoria are owned by the same respective groups.

As discussed, located strategically, this project could go a long way in spurring exponential growth between Gateway and CCC.

Oh...and on a side note. These OR mega conventions have also been very important to Downtown Ogden's agenda and it's continued growth. Much of the original and continued impetus for Ogden as a hub for outdoor companies, was given it's initial big push by this convention. It would be a crime to stop the continued momentum that the Outdoor Retailers continues to lavish on the Metro and all of Utah.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 5:22 PM

Thanks for the update S.P.! Btw, what were you doing in Israel and Europe? ...just curious.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 9:15 PM

Salt Lake City plan, funding could begin for Main Street theater

Salt Lake City plan, funding could begin for Main Street theater

BY DEREK P. JENSEN
The Salt Lake Tribune

Call it Stockton to Mufasa.

Salt Lake City expects the expiring bond on its NBA arena to be the key assist in funding a $100 million theater to bring "The Lion King," "Wicked" and other Broadway mega-hits to Main Street.

At the same time, a developer wants to implode the former Salt Lake Tribune building, erect a 25-story modern high-rise in its place, then connect the tower to the theater via a glass galleria filled with shops and a winter garden.

Full article at: Salt Lake Tribune.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 12:42 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I think the trib got it wrong. The 25-story tower is not going where the old trib building is. That building will be condos unless plans have change.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 12:49 AM

Very glad to see that the city is making considerable headway on the Theater project, including financing for the lion's share of the cost. But I am absolutely horrified that now the Tribune Building may be drawn in to the path of the wrecking ball:

"But in a reversal, insiders, including Hamilton Partners’ Bruce Bingham, now want the $125 million high-rise midblock and the theater on the corner of 100 South and Main.

"You’ll see it from City Creek Center and you’ll see it from the Salt Palace," Bingham says about a theater. "It would be so spectacular."

"Bingham, whose 222 Main tower a block south is "two-thirds" leased, would require 50 percent pre-leasing before erecting a new high-rise. His timeline is two to five years. But first, he must buy — then raze — the Tribune Building, which has "some significant architectural charm," but is not on the historic register.

"For the most part," Bingham says, "it’s a pretty tired old building that doesn’t work particularly well." "

I had been cavalier about the loss of the buildings on that corner already, even if I was smarting a bit about a couple of them. The Tribune Building is an entirely different matter. Not only does it have "some significant architectural charm", but there is also a great deal of community significance related to the building. Like the First Security building, this was an anchor for our state for many years. The Tribune may just be a shell of itself, and not even located on Main Street anymore, but we can still honor it's history and preserve this beautiful historic building.

The City Council is discussing this project on Tuesday. I hope they get enough immediate feedback so that acquisition and demolition of the Tribune Building becomes a non-starter. I will be writing a quick letter right now, and I hope many others of you will too. The possibility of its current owner renovating it into housing is much more appropriate. If the city can't satisfy this theater plan with only tearing down the marginal properties already under discussion, then perhaps they should build it on a parking lot instead.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 12:52 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Ok, nevermind I just read the whole story. HP cant tear down the trib. building. That will be a mistake.
I didnt mind the tower on the corner, but now I have to put my foot down. We must save the trib building guys. I say hell no to HPs laters plans.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 1:47 AM

This article-- well the portion concerning the Tribune tower-- seems way too preemptive to me. HP doesn't own the Tribune tower. As we understand it, whoever does own it has a proposal of their own for it. Who's to say they would even consider selling it?
I agree that losing the Tribune tower should not be an option. And maybe HP hasn't realized that it isn't an option.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 1:47 AM

If they build the theater on the corner, I predict it will be demolished in 40 years. This prediction is based on my observations that most people here suggest to demolish older corner buildings in favor of modern high-rises, using the argument that the current building is not realizing the economic potential for the corner lot it sits on. I think locating the theater on the corner would also be a loss for the Pantages (Utah) Theater. I think locating the theater closer to the Pantages would help the synergy between the two.

Im with you SLCprojects, I think the old Tribune building is a piece of history that should be saved.

Photo by T-Mac
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192933

Last edited by Old&New; Aug 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 1:49 AM

I have hard time seeing Mayor Becker being at all behind that proposal. He's already facing A LOT of opposition about this theater, especially from the existing theaters here. He doesn't want the backlash that would come from tearing down such an iconic and historic building.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:06 AM

Vasilios Priskos owns the Tribune building the last I heard, and was intent on converting it to lofts. But I doubt this would have made it into the paper if there hadn't been discussions about purchasing it, at the very least. Seems like a really boneheaded move though, considering the outcry over demolition plans for the First Security building was only a few short years ago. Wouldn't they assume people would be equally emotional over the possible destruction of the Tribune Building?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I saw this same story on 2news last also and the first thing i thought of was.......as big as the outdoor retail show is here there is NO WAY salt lake will let them leave. SLC will do whatever it takes to keep them here beyond 2014. That meanss we should get this hotel sooner rather then later. It would take three years to build a hotel of that size meaning to have the outdoor retail here in 2015 we will need to break ground on the hotel this time next year. So by the end of this year the will have to pick a site and have a developer. I think we will learn alot more about the hotel by late this year into early next year.
As for adding onto the Salt Palace, im not really sure where else they can build out. It already takes up two and a half city blocks. Maybe they can build upwards somehow instead of outwards. I dont think i want to see it take up even more blocks. Up is the only way to go imho.

Here is the KUTV NEWS STORY link:
http://connect2utah.com/news-story/?nxd_id=159217

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:16 AM

If indeed Bingham's attitude was correctly reported, I am very disappointed. I have no problem with replacing the Bennion, The Bennion is 'faux old', and a mediocre imitation at that.

I am completely against imploding The Tribune building. The Tribune building itself is historically very significant to Salt Lake City. Even if only from an aesthetic standpoint, imploding the building's facade is non-negotiable. I would have thought that Bingham had evolved enough to understand that.

This story seems very premptive to me, as Scott suggested. Hopefully, Tuesday's meeting will clarify some of these issues.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 8, 2011 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:28 AM

Save the Tribune Building!! I thought the Tribune Building was the very modern building designed by the same architect who designed the TransAmerica building in San Francisco. I know many of you don't really care about the other buildings, but if the building they are proposing to tear down is that one posted above, let's at least try to save that one!!! I'll petition the City Council to at least save it and the others.

I do agree that the Theater would be better placed at a corner.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I do agree that the Theater would be better placed at a corner.
I think placing the theater on the corner is a bad idea not only for the reason I stated above, but also because the theater would have to be configured in a north to south manner. Think if the Capitol Theater were on that corner, facing 100 south... What would be done with the side facing Main Street?! It seems to me that configuring it any other way would require demolishing the brownstone (sandstone) on 100 South.

The modern building you speak of is called the Metro building.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
Here is the KUTV NEWS STORY link:
http://connect2utah.com/news-story/?nxd_id=159217
I don't understand why private hotel chains have not pursued this strongly already. Stenar mentioned that Marriott proposed one a while back. Stenar, do you know what the status of that is? Anybody else here anything from Hilton or others?

Regarding the Salt Palace, I think it would be great if they expanded. I wish that when they did their last expansion that they would have built to the corner of 300 West and South Temple. Instead, we have a dinky 1 story financial building on that corner. Maybe they could expand the adjacent hotel to that corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West