HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I am genuinely interested in seeing some of that data, if you're willing to share.

For me, it's easy to see the UPAC selling out it's shows on a regular basis, but those shows won't be in addition to the big musicals, comedians, and musicians who play Kingsbury and Capitol. It will be in place of them. So what goes into those older venues instead? Less popular shows at best, and they'll be harder to sell. They're ticket prices will have to come down too.
And then, what about those theatre companies here that already compete with one another for patrons? It tends to be the same crowd that patron all the different arts venues, and they only have so much disposable income. I'm sure the UPAC wouldn't hurt Plan B theater or the Salt Lake Acting Company, but it would hurt Pioneer Theater company.
It sounds to me like the 10 million per year, which someone else on here mentioned, will carry our other great theaters through whatever losses or increases they may face--regarding ticket sales--as a result of the new theater. This cushion of finance should give those theaters time to adapt and re-establish themselves as needed.

I don't like the latest layout for the theater. They definitely need to go back to the drawing board! Perhaps even the planning board. Demolishing the Tribune tower is just not necessary. And really, why is there a tower involved?

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
It sounds to me like the 10 million per year, which someone else on here mentioned, will carry our other great theaters through whatever losses or increases they may face--regarding ticket sales--as a result of the new theater.
It isn't 10 million a year. I believe that it is 10 million over 20 years, which is about 500,000 per year. While that is far less than the 10 million that you originally thought, it is still quite a bit of money for the art community downtown.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 12:55 AM

I've not seen anything official about any money going to the arts, and even so, that's not much consolation.
"Hey! We're gonna take all your business, which doesn't cover your overhead anyway. But here's a little money over the next 20 years to keep you going..."
Still goes back to what I said. You say this is about the arts, when really it's about real estate. Then when the arts community cries out against it, you try to pacify them. Doesn't make it right.

Edit: Sorry, I should specify, by "you" I mean the powers that be, not anyone on this thread.

Last edited by scottharding; Nov 26, 2011 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 1:50 AM

nevermind

Last edited by DMTower; Nov 26, 2011 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I am genuinely interested in seeing some of that data, if you're willing to share.

For me, it's easy to see the UPAC selling out it's shows on a regular basis, but those shows won't be in addition to the big musicals, comedians, and musicians who play Kingsbury and Capitol. It will be in place of them. So what goes into those older venues instead? Less popular shows at best, and they'll be harder to sell. They're ticket prices will have to come down too.
And then, what about those theatre companies here that already compete with one another for patrons? It tends to be the same crowd that patron all the different arts venues, and they only have so much disposable income. I'm sure the UPAC wouldn't hurt Plan B theater or the Salt Lake Acting Company, but it would hurt Pioneer Theater company.
The University of Utah books most of the events for Kingsbury Hall, so they're not going to start booking those events into UPAC.

Perhaps, more local arts groups will use the Capitol Theatre. Also, not all events (even national ones) will draw crowds large enough to fill the UPAC, so they'll go to the Capitol.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 12:32 PM

Marmalade library: a new chapter in redevelopment

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home2/5...north.html.csp

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

When planners picture the new Marmalade library in Salt Lake City, they pencil in the three R’s: reading, retail and residential.

That and other innovative blueprints are breaking the library mold in Utah’s capital. Sure, an “exquisite” library will anchor the city’s northern entry point near the middle of a vacant block between 500 North and 600 North on the east edge of 300 West. But there will be more than books to check out.

Imagine a lush outdoor plaza adorned by a bustling boutique grocery, small restaurants, town houses, modern offices, a coffee shop, hair salon, art gallery, bank, dry cleaner, used-book store and more...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 2:13 PM

Wow. That could be a great asset for that part of town. I love the Marmalade District...I'm glad this is even being discussed.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 4:32 PM

Wow, I agree, that looks great. I sure hope it becomes a reality. The Marmalade is such a terrific neighborhood. The houses there are gorgeous, and community is proud. Something like this could be really great for that area. I think the community center and the library are the only things that will make it work though. We saw with the development across the street that with the poor market, it was tough to execute that vision. I hope they jump forward on the library and community center right away.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 8:34 PM
PSU MURP student

An excellent way to fill in that giant empty lot!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 8:41 PM

Yes please!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 3:45 AM

Marmalade!

As one who lives in the Marmalade let me say: Please, god, yes, please, f-ing please! Make it happen!

With that said, I won't hold my breathe. I'll just be happy that the trashy motel near West HS is gone.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 7:33 AM
Belt Route

I knew one of the property owners who sold out to Salt Lake City for a project on that Marmalade lot .... back in 1997!

Three other projects have failed on that lot. What makes us think this one is magically going to happen?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

Three other projects have failed on that lot. What makes us think this one is magically going to happen?
Magic? Unbridled optimism? A Christmas miracle? A Festivus miracle?

Yeah, that's why I said I like the proposal. Too much has been tried there that hasn't come together. If they can get it to work, it looks like a great project for the site.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 4:39 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I knew one of the property owners who sold out to Salt Lake City for a project on that Marmalade lot .... back in 1997!

What other projects have their been on that site.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
What other projects have their been on that site.
This is the only one I know of, a mixed use project that never materialized a few years ago. They only got as far as demolition.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 5:11 PM

Well, half of that happened. The West side of the development did get built.

I think this time around we can be optimistic because of the library/community center being part of the proposal. Those are civic services that are needed, and publicly funded. They may help to entice private investment and interest and spur the development forward.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 6:15 PM

I have been wondering lately...Why is it that a city with a metro the size of Salt Lake`s - about 1.1 million with 2.2 million in the urban area - lacks high rises? Salt Lake`s tallest building is 420 feet tall and the building with the most floors has 30 - which just finished being built. Then you look at a city like Omaha, NB which has a metro population of 865,000 as of 2010 (a quarter of a million less than Salt Lake in a stand-alone metro that even takes in a city from another state.) Even so, Omaha boasts a 635 ft tower with 45 floors. Being that Salt Lake`s metro population is about 30% more than Omaha`s (not to mention the two other metros with more than a half million residents each within 40 miles from Salt Lake), we should easily have a 50 story building by now. Why is it that we just cracked 30?

Our transit in Salt Lake is light years ahead of that of Omaha, which has no substantial public transit besides bus service. They are only in the designing process of putting in a street car that will run a 3.5 mile course through the down town area. UTA has 3 street-car projects in the works in addition to the existing 3 lines of light rail that span over 50 miles of track, the 40 miles of commuter rail with an additional 40 miles due to open next year. Having now been more than a decade since Salt Lake debuted its passenger rail network, we still can`t seem to construct a building over 500 ft. Despite all it lacks, Omaha can build a 45 story tower topping 635 ft.

The Regent, skyscraperpage forumer Your Boy Blue

Omaha First National Tower, from Wikipedia

Last edited by (Eco)nomy_404; Nov 27, 2011 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 6:35 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Because we always seem to fail with 30+ story tower proposals for some reason. 33-story Zion Social Hall Center.... FAILED. 43-story The Triad Center Towers.....FAILED. Even some of the towers we have now some of them could of been taller. 222 South Main was first planned to be 29-stories with condos on the top. It would of been the new tallest......but we had to settle for a 21-story tower. Also I've heard that One Utah Center, LDS Church office building and the Eaglegate Plaza towers could of all been taller then what they turned out to be. I don't know why we haven't had anything taller then 420 FT. It's almost like developers are scared to build anything taller then that.

Last edited by SLC Projects; Nov 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
It's almost like developers are scared to build anything taller then that.
Well of course they are. No one wants to build something that demand doesn't warrant, and the supply of skyscrapers meets the current demand. Utah is very suburban in nature (by preference, not as the result of arbitrary, bad planning), so tall buildings are really a luxury. Other cities may have gotten lucky with their crop of skyscrapers, and maybe SLC will in the future. But the metro size doesn't necessitate a 600' building.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 9:11 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Well of course they are. No one wants to build something that demand doesn't warrant, and the supply of skyscrapers meets the current demand. Utah is very suburban in nature (by preference, not as the result of arbitrary, bad planning), so tall buildings are really a luxury. Other cities may have gotten lucky with their crop of skyscrapers, and maybe SLC will in the future. But the metro size doesn't necessitate a 600' building.

There must be somewhat of a demand if we had 43 to 33 story buildings proposals in the past. I mean if we had two 43-story towers proposals during the 80's with a much smaller population with what we have now. Then you think there would be a even bigger demand now then what ever we had back then. I don't have all the numbers sitting in front of me, but I'm sure we have a by far bigger metro now in 2011 then we did back in the 80's.......well of course we do. But doing the last 20 years we had about a half dozen office 20-25 story highrise built in downtown. Each of those filled up within a few years after being built. 222 south main is already at least 60% least out. All the time now as of these last few years we hear about how companies are moving to downtown. My point is we know SLC has enough demand to support a 20-story office highrise. But then we need another one a few years later. Hence the 25-story Broadway office tower. And those are great and all. But I think SLC is ready to take that next step. we have plenty of 20 story buildings. Lets go for 30-35+. I think we have enough demand. We just need a developer with balls to actually built one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West