HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
If you would like to see plans you can request to see them from the SLC Building Services Department which is in the City & County Building. They are public information. I realize that a digital copy would be the easiest way but there isn't one readily available. It is a 4 story building from what I've seen.

The developer is marketing it towards BYU-SLC students but it will not just be student housing. Similar to the new City Creek Apartments on North Temple they will have student tenants as well as the general public.

The city, in the near future, will see applications for hundreds of more apartments in and around this area to facilitate the expansion of the LDS Church's collegiate campuses. Everything is very hush at the moment because they are still trying to buy up land and don't want the values to skyrocket as they will following any announcement.
I went to the SLC Building Services Department to see the rendering of the Biomat building and the Apartment complex next to it at 644 W North Temple, and they told me I may need to do a GRAMA request in order to see them. I assumed that they are public information, but they said that there is proprietary information included in the plans. Yet, if a developer wants to change zoning, the plans are online through the planning commission minutes. There has to be a better and easier way to let residents see what is being built in their community.

Also on the Biomat building, a very promising update--there are many pallets of dark red bricks that were just delivered to the construction site, let's hope for a mainly brick facade, and as little stucco as possible.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:06 PM

That means somebody is being lazy and didn't want to find the plans. They are public information but the plans are generally copyrighted meaning that we don't allow the public to make copies. All plans are scanned into a system and can be accessed by any Building Services employee.

Here is a link to the Citizen's Access Portal: https://aca.slcgov.com/citizen/ Click on the Planning tab and enter the names of the petitions: PLNTSD2011-00486 and PLNTSD2010-00797. Click on attachments. There you should find a site plan and some elevations.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
That means somebody is being lazy and didn't want to find the plans. They are public information but the plans are generally copyrighted meaning that we don't allow the public to make copies. All plans are scanned into a system and can be accessed by any Building Services employee.

Here is a link to the Citizen's Access Portal: https://aca.slcgov.com/citizen/ Click on the Planning tab and enter the names of the petitions: PLNTSD2011-00486 and PLNTSD2010-00797. Click on attachments. There you should find a site plan and some elevations.
Thanks UT Planner, that is very helpful. I will have to bookmark that site.

I am underwhelmed with the look of the apartment complex. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I think that the new Biomat building is going to turn out nice though.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:52 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Is this one more to everyones liking?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:18 PM

@Future Mayor - That's more to my liking.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:54 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Removed

Last edited by Future Mayor; Mar 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
How about this one instead?
But there's already a hugo boss going into CCC...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:58 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
But there's already a hugo boss going into CCC...
I didn't look at the list close enough. Dang. I am trying to remember what clothing store someone said they had hoped would be on the list. I guess that wasn't it, since it's on the list.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:23 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I like that idea Future Mayor. And speaking of 222 south main I have been a bit disappointed that there wasn't been ANY retail moving in yet. At least the last time I went by those store fronts were still dark and empty.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I like that idea Future Mayor. And speaking of 222 south main I have been a bit disappointed that there wasn't been ANY retail moving in yet. At least the last time I went by those store fronts were still dark and empty.
My guess is people are waiting to see how downtown changes once City Creek opens. If there is a lot more traffic, I would bet that those spots will be filled soon.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Yes that is a very nice gallery and I would love to see it stay in downtown. My hunch though is that they got into that space at a very very good lease rate due to the fact that there was little demand for space on Main when they signed up. If I remember correctly they had a really odd space in the ZCMI center that was just sort of carved out of some extra space at the Main St entrance, I think they then moved to the lobby of the Eagle Gate Tower for a while before moving to Main. What I am getting at is I am not sure if they would be willing and or able to pay higher lease rates that I would expect for such an exceptional space on Main St.

This is a huge dilemna that will face downtown, particulary Main St, as more and more people visit, shop and live in the CBD. I love local businesses, and they are part of what makes a city unique, often times local businesses are a victim of their own success. They are willing to move into spaces that are in low demand with low rent, others do the same and suddenly the area becomes more popular, rents rise and locals can't afford the space. However on the other hand, this creates a synergy that then moves to another "down" area and creates a new vibrancy there. So while I would love to see them stay in that location, I would also love to see the rents rise on Main to bring in retailers such as Kenneth Cole or others to extend the high end retail presence of CCC another block down Main. There will always be a place available for the Hope Gallery, as they have been a fixture on or near Main St for nearly two decades now.
They must be doing fairly well because they still have the gallery in the lobby of Eagle Gate, as well as a gallery in Park City. I think they have more stuff than they have room for.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:01 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

OK! this is perhaps the greatest idea that anyone on this forum has ever had.

I give you... the new Shilo Inn... located in the old wells fargo building

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:09 AM

I find that strangely awesome....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:11 AM

I think it looks like an orange-cream-waffle-cookie.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:40 AM

That is brilliant!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:57 AM

I love/hate the "new" Shilo Inn.

The DA Building is moving forward: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...-gill.html.csp

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:57 AM

Tron bad guys headquearters

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 6:21 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Thanks UT Planner, that is very helpful. I will have to bookmark that site.

I am underwhelmed with the look of the apartment complex. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I think that the new Biomat building is going to turn out nice though.
These renderings totally got skipped over. I actually like the look of the apartments being built. I think it ads a modern flavor to the area, which should connect well with the Depot/Gateway District and create some initial uniqueness to N. Temple. Bring on classic, modern, and contemporary on N. Temple.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 7:41 AM
Bring out the cranes...

What west are those apartments going in?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
What west are those apartments going in?
644 West. The failed condo development right next to I-15 that only has the foundation and underground parking completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West