HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:41 AM
Joe Zekas

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:43 AM
Small but Mighty

Now that is a mirror-building done right!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:52 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Man, the mute buttons on the conference room phones in that office building are going to have to be replaced every six months!

GREAT shot, btw!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 1:09 AM

^ Doubtful. There's no way they are going to give office space without putting in high quality sound proof glass.

Anyway, awesome shot.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 1:20 AM
Joe Zekas

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Believe it or not you can actually often rip whole floor slabs out of reinforced concrete frame buildings. They carry very little load structurally besides the loads placed upon them (vehicles, humans, files, whatever). That's how many of these huge old multi floor loft warehouses are made habitable. They will actually cut whole bays out of these old buildings to create a light well. They will also knock out bays and rebuild with new ramps attached to the old concrete to allow the floors to be used as a garage. The challenges associated with deconverting a podium are pretty much what you would do to turn a loft warehouse into a parking garage but in reverse. Take the ramps out and pour new flat floors, maybe take out every other slab and go from a 7' ceiling height to 14' loft ceilings. As long as you aren't permenantly removing any major beams (though these can be moved if you really need to), shear walls, or columns, then you can pretty much do what you want.

My prediction is that converted garages will be the "found space" of the next generation in the same way that old industrial spaces are being reclaimed today. Someday it will be chic to live in the relics of the automobile era. Imagine a time when human controlled vehicles are as rare as a horse and buggy. It will be like living in an old carriage house or elicit the same fascination as old school "manual" factories do today. There will be a day where almost no one drives and the act of "parking the car" is a relic of a past era. People will almost never enter garages in the near future, it will be as surreal as "exploring" the remnants of an old industrial complex is to our generation.
I couldn't agree more.

BTW Kit Kemp's Soho Hotel in London is a fine example of garage repurposing -

http://i64.tinypic.com/2lx9mqs.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/xnaud5.jpg

And though the exterior walls are old the entire building was converted into a parking garage before a complete conversion to a hotel. Here you can see in the lobby support columns from its garage days

http://i64.tinypic.com/2004exf.jpg

I stayed there on my honeymoon (ex wife lol) and believe me it is a fantastic hotel and has the benefit of solid soundproof walls and floors. I could very easily see some garages in the high demand areas in the Loop and nearby undergoing similar conversions.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Sep 26, 2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for off-topic photos

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 1:03 PM

^ Yes of course I know it. It's owned by Firmdale, which is the same group that owns the Crosby Street Hotel in NY and others in London (Ham Yard, Charlotte St, etc).

I would be interested to know if that facade is original (i.e., was this a nice looking older parking garage) or if that had to be added.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
I could very easily see some garages in the high demand areas in the Loop and nearby undergoing similar conversions.
i mean if its the loop i simply dont see any advantage whatsoever to renovating a garage rather than knocking it down and starting from scratch.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:38 PM

I want all of the parking garages in the Loop leveled. The two in River North across from the Merch Mart need to go as well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:43 PM
Urban Living

using the L track as your canopy... freakin genius..love this buiding

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i mean if its the loop i simply dont see any advantage whatsoever to renovating a garage rather than knocking it down and starting from scratch.
Yeah, I can't think of any downtown garages that are large enough to warrant conversion over demolition, since most are mid-rise scale in high-rise districts. Maybe the 900 N. Michigan garage, since dealing with the neighbors on new construction at a greater scale would be onerous at best?

The real value added opportunity – both for developers and average Chicagoans who appreciate good urbanism – will be in converting parking podiums (let's start on State Street in River North, please). Though that will require navigating condo associations, legal issues, etc. to a greater extent.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:13 PM

No complaints about 215 W Hubbard from me at all. Love that building

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Doubtful. There's no way they are going to give office space without putting in high quality sound proof glass.

Anyway, awesome shot.
i used to work in 333 wacker and trust me, you hear those trains go by no matter what

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 7:29 PM

The Hoxton Hotel crane is going up today, joining the forest in west loop.

Reminder: 12 story hotel at Green & Lake

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:13 AM

Quote:
i used to work in 333 wacker and trust me, you hear those trains go by no matter what
Hear them or feel them? Or both?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt that buildings have it - but if newer buildings are getting this type of treatment, I'd hope that newer office buildings would too.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 7:44 PM

123 E Cermak

Sept 23

as seen from under Roosevelt

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:06 PM

801 S Financial - Alta Roosevelt

Sept 23

With Riverline on the Left

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:35 PM

1140 S Wabash

Sept 23

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 9:10 PM

1407onMichigan

Sept 23

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations