HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 1:27 AM

Also, the Conservative vote isn't simply rural or Prairie people, obviously. They were very competitive in the 905 region, for example. I previously mentioned the Chinese community which certainly voted for the Tories in large numbers.

Speaking of "stereotyping", I've heard a lot about how the Tories lost the "immigrant vote" because of the niqab ban and perceived "intolerance." But they are obviously aren't monolithic. I can understand why South Asians (not just Muslims) were turned off by it. But the niqab ban was a bigger deal for WASP Red Tories in Oakville than for Chinese voters in Agincourt or Richmond BC.

For the Conservatives, it's basically 2006 again in terms of their appeal in the South Asian community.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 1:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
There is some real over the top hate going on here towards rural people by some on this site. And I'll stand by the hate comment because the venom and disdain shown by many of the "progressives" on this blog seems to be never very far from the surface.
As a general rule, progressives are far more contemptuous of traditionalists than vice versa.

This is especially true of urban progressives who tend to think of Ma and Pa back on the farm with a particular disdain - "I can't believe they still live on that farm stead in Tisdale, don't they realize how much better life is in Toronto?? I mean, what's wrong with them. They must have a mental condition of some kind. I just don't understand them".

Meanwhile, if "Joe from the city" got his car stuck in the ditch at the foot of Pa's driveway, who do you think would get his tractor out of the garage to tow it out at 10:30 at night in the pouring rain, and wouldn't even think of taking any money for his troubles. Pa would only humbly mumble "it's all right son, it's just the neighbourly thing to do".

Oh, by the way, Pa voted conservative in the last election. Not because he was intolerant or bigoted. It was simply because by his nature, he is a traditionalist and suspicious of change. Does this make him an evil person? Some forumers on this site equate all Conservative supporters as evil, naive or stupid. This just isn't fair..........

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 1:34 AM

Why don't you guys start your own thread about how "urban progressives are the truly intolerant ones"?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Why don't you guys start your own thread about how "urban progressives are the truly intolerant ones"?
I won't, it will just spiral down the drain into shitville.

I think I made my point and will not comment further.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 3:12 AM

Your "point" being that simply pointing out that a plurality of voters in Alberta and Saskatchewan voted Conservative = contempt for rural people? BTW 60% of the population of Alberta lives in Calgary and Edmonton.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 3:20 AM

Dutch Canadians.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 3:36 AM
Canadian Urbanite

They did not win the majority of urban Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 5:16 AM

I would say they mostly won the business people, the working non Union and other people that do not except free hand outs and like to put in a decent hard days work.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 5:18 AM

Thanks for stopping by, Mitt.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 1:33 PM

Looking at ridings like Thornhill (where the CPC vote largely remained unchanged from 2011 despite surrounding ridings all going to the LPC), Orthodox Jews likely were a strong Conservative group as well. Re: the 905, there were few or no other ridings they won with an absolute majority in 2011 - it was the undoing of the LPC-NDP vote split that swung those ridings (plus more LPC voters period).

Remember, the Conservatives held on to over 95% of their vote from 2011 (although the distribution likely changed). The increase in turnout was what knocked them down.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 5:49 PM

Yet if you look at most of the 99 ridings they won, they have similar demographics.

If you want to look at regional differences, Atlantic Canada seems to be the "distinct society" now. From Riviere-du-Loup to Vancouver, the differences seemed fairly modest between regions.

For curiousity, how did the ridings in east-central Quebec that represents the most conservative part of the province vote from 1993 to 2004? If the Reform/Alliance actually were more serious there on a local level (did they even run?), they might have had decent results at least I would think.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 6:02 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Yet if you look at most of the 99 ridings they won, they have similar demographics.

If you want to look at regional differences, Atlantic Canada seems to be the "distinct society" now. From Riviere-du-Loup to Vancouver, the differences seemed fairly modest between regions.

For curiousity, how did the ridings in east-central Quebec that represents the most conservative part of the province vote from 1993 to 2004? If the Reform/Alliance actually were more serious there on a local level (did they even run?), they might have had decent results at least I would think.
I don't think we're as distinct as the election results made us seem. The Atlantic was the first to vote, and I think many of us panicked that Harper might get back in, and voted Liberal strategically in much greater numbers than we otherwise would have to ensure we did everything we could to prevent that. Had we known that based on the rest of the country there was no risk of another Haper gov, the vote would have looked vastly different. Probably at least 5 Conservative and 3-5 NDP

Although maybe the fact that we hated Harper so vastly and uniformly makes us unique? The Conservative popular vote in NS was around 16% and around 10% in NFLD, and I suspect at least a good 1/2 of the people who voted for them didn't like Harper either! They were probably voting for a local candidate they liked or out of tradition, party platform, etc.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Looking at ridings like Thornhill (where the CPC vote largely remained unchanged from 2011 despite surrounding ridings all going to the LPC), Orthodox Jews likely were a strong Conservative group as well.
Yes, there's a significant Orthodox-secular split in the Jewish community, as there is in the US. The Orthodox basically vote as a bloc for the Conservatives, and that's turned Thornhill into a Conservative stronghold.

Meanwhile, in ridings like St. Paul's, Westmount and Winnipeg South Centre where the Jewish population is mostly secular, the Liberals won by gigantic margins.

Quote:
Re: the 905, there were few or no other ridings they won with an absolute majority in 2011 - it was the undoing of the LPC-NDP vote split that swung those ridings (plus more LPC voters period).

Remember, the Conservatives held on to over 95% of their vote from 2011 (although the distribution likely changed). The increase in turnout was what knocked them down.
The Tories received over 50% in several 905 ridings last time: most of York Region, Oakville etc.

However the NDP vote collapsed to about 5% in many of these ridings allowing the Liberals to win them.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I'd be interested to know the Chinese vote split. I think that Chinese voters lean slightly conservative, but they also have high levels of voter apathy. 2 of the 3 BC ridings with the lowest voter turnout this election were in Richmond.
That apathy is exactly why politicians who try to pander to the Chinese vote are morons, its a wasted effort. Take our useless twit of a premier, Crusty Clarke. She won't step in to do anything about Vancouver's obscene housing problems, she's too dumb to figure out she lost her West Side riding because the upper middle class were exiting the area in droves, leaving empty homes or ones occupied by those who wouldn't bother to vote.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 7:49 PM

It isn't that stupid. Even if their turnout is low, the Chinese vote can make a difference in several ridings. For instance, seats like Willowdale, Richmond Hill and Vancouver South were almost certainly Conservative wins in 2011 because of the Chinese vote.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 4:37 AM

The Tories got rural and small city/town Canada and that's about it. They managed to marginalize many seniors due to their contempt for veterans and their needs.

Tory strategists know this is a real problem and know that regain the urban and suburban votes are necessary if they are ever to get back into Sussex Drive. The rural population is declining in both numbers as well as economic and political relevance. Any new seats will go to urban centers which are decidedly more progressive than the platform the Tories cater to.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 4:55 AM

i know a few harper supporters on my facebook, people i went to school with moons ago, anyway judging by most of the things they post, most seem pretty i don't wanna say redneck but very anti-refugee take care of canadians first, leave us oil workers alone so we can do the real work types

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 5:18 AM

If the Conservatives are going to be successful going forward, they are going to have to return to their old Progressive Conservative ways IMO. Positioning themselves to the centre-right is the most effective way to attract relatively well-off suburban voters without alienating their rural supporters.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 2:57 PM
ハルウララ

We won't really know this until Elections Canada releases their final report on the election results, no? From that we can figure out what polls and neighbourhoods within ridings that each party did well in and discern from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i know a few harper supporters on my facebook, people i went to school with moons ago, anyway judging by most of the things they post, most seem pretty i don't wanna say redneck but very anti-refugee take care of canadians first, leave us oil workers alone so we can do the real work types
That doesn't make them any less Canadian...I understand that we're on an urban architecture and development forum but the stigma that rural folk get here is absurd.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinational View Post
If the Conservatives are going to be successful going forward, they are going to have to return to their old Progressive Conservative ways IMO. Positioning themselves to the centre-right is the most effective way to attract relatively well-off suburban voters without alienating their rural supporters.
Except by returning to the old PC agenda, they WOULD alienate the rural supporters, especially in the west. Resurrecting the Reform Party would guarantee Liberal wins ad nauseum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada