HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 9:39 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hamilton as Canada's Newark is a way more apt comparison on various levels. But somehow I don't think we'll be hearing the Chamber of Commerce trumpet that label.
If it's too far to be Brooklyn it's too far to be Newark. They're like 10km and 20km from downtown Manhattan respectively.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 9:58 PM
Aimless Wanderer

^ Brooklyn is directly across the East River from Downtown Manhattan!

Newark is indeed closer to NYC than Hamilton is to Toronto, but it's far enough away that it seems like someplace else -- separate from the city. Also, they both have a similar gritty look to them and are in heavily industrial areas. Downtown Newark has a pretty Hamilton like vibe to it, as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
If it's too far to be Brooklyn it's too far to be Newark. They're like 10km and 20km from downtown Manhattan respectively.
Newark is an entirely different city with a different personality. Let us not forget that Brooklyn is a part of New York... unless the CoC is suggesting that Hamilton has been subsumed by Toronto?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 10:10 PM
Editor

Honestly, I don't see the similarities of Tor/Ham to NYC/Brooklyn. Brooklyn almost feels like another part of Manhattan, a very big and urban neighborhood part of it. Hamilton feels like a separate city. I mean Brooklyn's downtown is just across the river from lower Manhattan. It's a fairly quick walk over to DUMBO, and it's a quick subway ride over. Lower Manhattan is closer to downtown Brooklyn than it is to Midtown Manhattan. The Lower east side is closer to Williamsburg than it is to almost all other Manhattan neighbourhoods. Midtown Manhattan is closer to Green Point than the World Trade Centre.

It's just my opinion, but there aren't places in Canada that have a Manhattan/Brooklyn similarity, and very few places in the world that do.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 10:10 PM

Hamilton is to Toronto what Baltimore is to DC?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 10:18 PM
Aimless Wanderer

If I had to think of what Toronto's Brooklyn would be, I'd say the East end across the Don Valley, taking in the neighbourhoods of Riverdale, Chinatown East, Little India, Riverside, Leslieville, The Beach, and Greektown/Danforth Village.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 10:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Hamilton is to Toronto what Baltimore is to DC?
If we're doing ratios my best guess is a Milwaukee to Toronto's Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
It's just my opinion, but there aren't places in Canada that have a Manhattan/Brooklyn similarity, and very few places in the world that do.
It's not the equivalent of NYC by any stretch, but Vancouver has a bit of Manhattan to Brooklyn thing going with the downtown peninsula versus the rest of the urban city.

Manhattan island was a perfect size to ensure that the city grew up, rather than out when it reached a certain population in a certain era. The downtown Vancouver peninsula ensured the same process, although on a much smaller scale and much later on.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 11:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Actually I think Dartmouth might be in the running for most Brooklyn-like suburb in Canada in terms of its relationship with the rest of the city that it is a part of.

The mainland parts of Vancouver are quite different. North Van is a bit closer but was less developed and more upscale.

Montreal's off-island suburbs are too far away and most other cities in Canada don't have the right geography.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 12:04 AM

I will say one thing about Hamilton. It does have a much more American feel to it than other Canadian cities. I don't know if it the industry, grit, or urban landscape. But it just has that American feel.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 12:13 AM

Hey, World! Stop saying Canadians are like Americans and that our culture is simply American culture wrapped in a maple leaf! Jerks.

BTW, I'd say Hamilton is more Hobokenesque...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 12:14 AM

It actually isn't.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 12:16 AM

Hoboken is actually very yuppie and is closer to Manhattan then much of outer borough NYC.

If it weren't a different state it's highly likely Hudson County would have joined Greater New York in 1898.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 12:33 AM

^It's a f**king joke!

Hamilton is nothing like Newark - have any of you actually been there?! Sweet Jesus! Nor is it anything like Brooklyn or Hoboken. It's a Rust Belt city that, if anything, looks like it was carved right out of the Ohio Valley.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Actually I think Dartmouth might be in the running for most Brooklyn-like suburb in Canada in terms of its relationship with the rest of the city that it is a part of.

The mainland parts of Vancouver are quite different. North Van is a bit closer but was less developed and more upscale.

Montreal's off-island suburbs are too far away and most other cities in Canada don't have the right geography.
So Okotoks isn't Calgary's Brooklyn?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 1:57 AM
BANNED

Haven't checked out the city, but Hamilton looks like a nightmare from the QEW highway with heavy industrial lining the entire skyline.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 2:11 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Haven't checked out the city, but Hamilton looks like a nightmare from the QEW highway with heavy industrial lining the entire skyline.
That' because the QEW goes through the industrial corner of the city and then some of the newer suburbia. I'm sure you'd question the idea of Toronto having any good neighbourhoods sticking to the 401 (or worse, the 407), the 125 with Montreal, or took the 8 through Calgary (assuming I'm reading these maps right). Hamilton does have heavy industry that's fairly unique in Canada (I think Sudbury and the Sault are the only two other cities as dominated by heavy industry, unless you count fossil fuel refining), but it has lots of other stuff too.

https://asiancan.wordpress.com/hamil...otes-paradise/

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Except for the utter lack of any semblance of character in Surrey....
This. This is what Hamilton is missing. The looking down the nose elitist holier than thou attitude from the residents across the way.

If anything, Hamilton has way too many Toronto cheerleaders to be a Brooklyn anything.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 3:24 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
This. This is what Hamilton is missing. The looking down the nose elitist holier than thou attitude from the residents across the way.

If anything, Hamilton has way too many Toronto cheerleaders to be a Brooklyn anything.
Which universe do you live in and can I visit? There do exist some Hamilton supporters from Toronto, but being from there I can tell you the nation as a whole seems to have a low opinion of Hamilton, and Torontonians are typically the most negative (after suburban Hamiltonians of course).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 4:36 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Is Hamilton actually Canada's Brooklyn?

Two cities go under the microscope Monday to find an answer to a burning question of identity: is Hamilton actually Canada's answer to Brooklyn?
This gets my vote for stupidest urban affairs article of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
It's all part of an Ambitious City event hosted by the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce...
And this would explain why.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada