HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:31 AM

On the new building or on 800 Yates? I'd say the concrete panels or whatever they are on 800 Yates are too grey and blah. My memory is hazy now but I seem to recall that they were originally supposed to be a bit warmer in colour (maybe to be more consistent with the atrium inside?) and a different material.

On the new building I don't mind the white panels unto themselves but it seems like the coverage is going to be excessive. Maybe not. We'll see how it all comes together.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:34 AM

The only problem with the atrium's interior is there is a lot of office space lost due to the hallowed out center. It's like the BCSC building in Saanich.That said it is incredibly beautiful inside.

Last edited by vicdevelopments; May 18, 2017 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 2:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I thought the exterior was pretty nice?
My problem with the BC Ferries building isn't with the building itself (as I said, I think the inside is particularly nice) but rather the ugly weeds and brush they built around it by the road rather than using that space for something useful, it's such a waste of money and important urban space but I expect the city forced the developer the build it as blackmail for the "privilege" of letting them build.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; May 20, 2017 at 7:13 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 8:25 PM

Someone was drilling holes in that small triangular at uptown. It's the small lot chained fenced on the corner of Boleskin and The Highway right infront of the office building. I have wondered if someone could build on that or if it's undevelopable.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:28 AM
BANNED

What's the BCSC building?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:54 PM

He's talking about the old BC Systems building.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:47 PM

Correct. I use to work in that building. I think it's 4400 Seymour st. off of Cloverdale st. When I worked there it housed Ministry of Government Services. The building is completely hallowed out inside.

Last edited by vicdevelopments; May 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 1:20 AM
BANNED

That lot was a gas station which is why it has been fenced off and untouched, once gas stations close they must leave the sites untouched for I believe, five years.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; May 25, 2017 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:52 PM

The Petro Canada station was partly on this lot and part of what is the Land Tital's office building. You are right I believe 5 years. That said if they are drilling holes they must have a development in mind here. I can't see what could possibly be built here. There is no room for parking and wedged between the highway and beleskine there is no room for entrances too. I wonder if the lot is owned by uptown. Maybe someone could call and ask.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 8:21 PM

Pics today of the new office building suggest that my concerns are unfounded. The top section and the lower section look very different and there will be contrasting elements on the lower section:

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:44 AM

I'll have to wait to see how I feel about the facade as it gets closer to being finished. I'm disappointed how chunky the building is. I wish it was another 2 stories taller.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 3:38 AM
BANNED

This reminds me of:

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:56 PM

When seen from Mt Tolmie this building is really wide and doesn't rise above the flat skyline. Though it's much better than the parking lot. I fear it will be a lost opportunity of what could have been built. I will wait still to see how the exterior will look when completed to voice my full opinion.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 10:12 PM

Yeah, but then again, we knew it was going to be wide and we knew it was going to have a flat top and we knew it wasn't going to be any taller than downtown Victoria's average. So there aren't any surprises in any of those aspects.

The further along it gets the more I'm liking it. But I tend to fret about stuff and I'm still fretting that it might be too much of one look for pretty much an entire city block.

Pic by shoeflack at www.vibrantvictoria.ca:

Pic by Gary H at www.vibrantvictoria.ca:

Pic from three weeks ago by zoomer at www.vibrantvictoria.ca:

Also for your consideration, Legato on Yates by shoeflack at www.vibrantvictoria.ca:

Last edited by aastra; May 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 11:39 PM

I took a couple of photos of 1550 Douglas. St today depending on how you view this building it doesn't seem to bad. I just wish it was taller.

1550 douglas st by steven roberts, on Flickr

1550 douglas by steven roberts, on Flickr

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdevelopments View Post
When seen from Mt Tolmie this building is really wide and doesn't rise above the flat skyline.
I agree, seeing it from Mt. Tolmie really highlights how much of a widescraper it is but it also fills in a big gap in the skyline.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 8:39 PM

Not bad of a building I have to say. Now even more intrigued at what the interior foyer/lobby will look like. Definitely adds a new dimension to the City Hall/Public Market neighbourhood.

As for the height, I think it's tall enough. If it's too tall, City Hall and its clock tower will be dwarfed to insignificance. Let's create a tall district on the other side of the Blue Bridge, complete with its own commercial centre, kind of like what Canary Wharf is to old London city. I say let the CBD of Victoria expand, with the heritage area intact.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Not bad of a building I have to say. Now even more intrigued at what the interior foyer/lobby will look like. Definitely adds a new dimension to the City Hall/Public Market neighbourhood.

As for the height, I think it's tall enough. If it's too tall, City Hall and its clock tower will be dwarfed to insignificance. Let's create a tall district on the other side of the Blue Bridge, complete with its own commercial centre, kind of like what Canary Wharf is to old London city. I say let the CBD of Victoria expand, with the heritage area intact.
I disagree with it being tall enough. It's so wide from all vantage points a few floors more would have made a big difference. As for commercial zones in Vic West. We've already lost that chance. The 90's Songhees buildings killed that. Songhees should have been taller with ground floor retail it's such a waste of opportunity. Maybe Dockside Green can help that but |I'm not sure. I think taller buildings should be kept away from old town. Taller buildings should be built east of douglas street and in Harris Green. I also think that James Bay should be zoned for taller buildings However I don't think we'll see any tall or high density projects to be built there.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdevelopments View Post
I also think that James Bay should be zoned for taller buildings However I don't think we'll see any tall or high density projects to be built there.
True dat, James Bay should change it's name to Nimbyville

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 11:34 PM

Rental building for Quadra at Johnson:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia