HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lady Gaga coming to Hamilton Feb. 17

http://www.thespec.com/whatson/artic...amilton-feb-17

Get ready, all you little monsters out there, Lady Gaga is coming to Hamilton.

HECFI announced Friday that the five-time Grammy winning Queen of Pop is bringing her Born This Way Ball tour to Copps Coliseum on Feb. 17, with tickets going on sale to the public Friday, Dec. 7 at 10 a.m., at Copps box office or through www.LiveNation.com.

Fans will have first access to tickets through LittleMonsters.com on Monday, Dec. 3. To be part of the pre-sale, fans need to get an access code for free by signing up on LittleMonsters.com and “joining” the concert they wish to attend in the “Events” section.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

Live Nation operating Copps is already a success so far

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 1:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Now advertised on SSP

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:11 PM

I saw Xavior Rudd this past weekend, a great show and my first time in the convention center - nice place and impressive bar selection.

Rudd can play the acoustic guitar, the drums, harmonica, sing like Eddie Vedder and for fun, also the didgeridoo at the same time.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Hamilton Bulldogs will be given an opportunity to negotiate a lease to remain at Copps Coliseum.

The HECFI board voted to allow the franchise to work out a deal to keep the hockey club in town. It has called Copps home for 17 years.

An Ontario Hockey League team had been vying to win the right to use the arena beginning in the fall. That will now not happen unless the Bulldogs are unable to come to an agreement with HECFI.

http://m.thespec.com/article/849425-...-with-bulldogs

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 5:35 AM

‘Tired’ convention centre to get a fast-tracked facelift

Quote:
The Carmen’s Group, run by the Mercanti family, is taking over management of the convention centre in the spring as part of the city’s privatization of its entertainment and convention facilities.

Carmen’s initially pledged about $685,000 worth of upgrades to the facility over the course of its five-year operating agreement with the city.

However, city staff say Carmen’s is going to spend “significantly more than promised” — about $500,000 to $700,000 within the next few months
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...acked-facelift

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
I saw Xavior Rudd this past weekend, a great show and my first time in the convention center - nice place and impressive bar selection.

Rudd can play the acoustic guitar, the drums, harmonica, sing like Eddie Vedder and for fun, also the didgeridoo at the same time.
Really? I saw the Dropkick Murphys there recently and thought it was a horrible venue, particularly the bar service.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 7:44 PM
Hammer'd

I was at that Dropkick show too. Really bad venue for it. A smaller local bar would have been nice, but obviously it would have sold to capacity in minutes.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:06 PM

Leonard Cohen returns to Hamilton
(Hamilton Spectator, Graham Rockingham, Jan 9, 2013)

Canadian poet/songwriter Leonard Cohen is returning to Hamilton’s Copps Coliseum on April 9 to perform another one of his critically acclaimed three-hour concerts.

The announcement was made Wednesday in Los Angeles by promotion company AEG Live as part of a second North American leg of Cohen’s Old Ideas World Tour.

Tickets go on sale to the public beginning Friday, Jan. 18 at 10 a.m., at Copps Coliseum box office, on line at Ticketmaster.ca or by phone at 1-855-872-5000.

Subscribers to HECFI’s Tickets First newsletter can purchase tickets one-day earlier on Jan. 17. The public can join Tickets First by logging on to www.hecfi.ca.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 2:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Price Is Right coming to Hamilton Place
This fabulous showcase could be yours!

http://www.thespec.com/whatson/artse...hamilton-place

THE PRICE IS RIGHT LIVE

When: Friday, March 22, 8 p.m. Doors open at 7.
Where: Hamilton Place
Host: Todd Newton
Tickets: $34 and $55 (plus service charges), at Copps Coliseum box office or Ticketmaster.

Come on down. The Price Is Right is coming to Hamilton.

OK, it may not be the The Price Is Right — the one starring host Drew Carrey — but it’s pretty close.

The Price Is Right Live! is a touring adaptation of the successful TV game show that has been playing in theatres across the continent for the past nine years. Hosting the event will be game show veteran Todd Newton, who won a Daytime Emmy last year for his work on U.S. show Family Game Night.

And, yes, Plinko, Cliff Hangers, the Big Wheel and that “fabulous” showcase will all be part of the show.

Toronto-based concert promoters Live Nation announced Monday that the live version would be coming to Hamilton Place on Friday, March 22, at 8 p.m. Tickets go on sale Friday at 10 a.m. at the Copps Coliseum box office or through Ticketmaster.

And, yes, you have a chance at being one of the lucky (or unlucky) contestants. You don’t even have to purchase a ticket to be considered.

Live Nation says contestants will be selected through a random draw immediately before the show. To be considered in the draw, all you have to do is register at the designated desk located near the box office at the main entrance to Hamilton Place between 5 and 8 p.m. on the day of the show.

“Ticket purchase will not increase your chances of being selected to play,” the release says. “Odds of being selected are based on number of registrants.”

And, yes, there will be prizes. About 60 are handed out each show, about $40,000. Winning contestants, of course, have to first correctly answer “a timed mathematical skill-testing question” before they can claim their prizes.

You can bring the whole family to watch the show, but hopeful contestants have to be 19 years or order to register to play.

The host, Todd Newton, got his start in 1999 on the GSN trivia show Hollywood Showdown. He’s also hosted quiz shows Whammy!, Instant Millionaire and Made in the USA. Last year, Newton published his first book, Life In The Bonus Round: A Game Show Host’s Road To Success & Fulfillment (iUniverse.com, $16.88).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:42 PM

I don't know, I guess I'm not the target audience for this... but is there really that much of demand for a fake Price Is Right? Enough that they can charge $55+ per ticket?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's worth it if you win a.......NEW CAR!! lol

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 10:33 AM

Seniors, shut-ins and the great unwashed will come out in droves for a bit of Bob Barker.

Have your pets spayed or neutered everybody!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

And it's sold out already.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 6:57 PM

I have clearly underestimated the appeal of The Price Is Right.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I have clearly underestimated the appeal of The Price Is Right.
A second show has been added.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:13 PM

That's not too surprising. I haven't been to a show myself, but it is one of the most popular afternoon shows in Las Vegas.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 5:15 AM

Larry DiIanni has written an opinion in the Spectator suggesting that Copps Coliseum be renovated in a manner that almost completely copies the Maple Leaf Gardens example in Toronto, complete with a raised/shrunken rink, a ground-floor Fortinos, and a YMCA. Large-scale concerts could be moved to the new Tiger-Cats stadium.

Link: http://www.thespec.com/opinion/colum...copps-coliseum

I am literally almost at a loss for words --- I could write paragraphs about what I feel to be an entirely idiotic article, but will abstain for now. I did not realize that LD could come up with something so ridiculous and actually submit it to print for all to see.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 8:45 AM

I think he's playing they hype card on this one. A new owner, a new beginning and keeping in the headlines to spur new community interest and ideas. I still love the guy.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Larry DiIanni has written an opinion in the Spectator suggesting that Copps Coliseum be renovated in a manner that almost completely copies the Maple Leaf Gardens example in Toronto, complete with a raised/shrunken rink, a ground-floor Fortinos, and a YMCA. Large-scale concerts could be moved to the new Tiger-Cats stadium.

Link: http://www.thespec.com/opinion/colum...copps-coliseum

I am literally almost at a loss for words --- I could write paragraphs about what I feel to be an entirely idiotic article, but will abstain for now. I did not realize that LD could come up with something so ridiculous and actually submit it to print for all to see.
Paragraph away: what's so ridiculous about repurposing Copps into a better used, shared facility instead of having it sit squat, idle, ugly, and aging for too much of the year?

He put out an idea in a public forum; he didn't say that his plan was perfect--this is how a community talks to itself. There's some merit to his ideas, and Ryerson's spearheading of MLG has worked out tremendously.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation