HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:10 AM
low life in a tall place

^^
Turning Torso?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:31 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Could be. They do have a similarity in the twist. I would've liked an inspiration source more symbolic to China. Like the dragon or something. It still looks great though. So when completed this would be the second tallest building/man made thing on earth?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 3:41 AM

a little info is out in today's newspaper and website in Shanghai!

http://sh.news.sina.com.cn/20080424/094790484.shtml

The final two designs were submitted to the local congress for discussion and advice. Most probably that's just a procedure to go through.

The competition has been fierce. They selected 9 from 19 proposals first, then 4 from 9, and then 2 finalists from the 4.

The two designs are nicknamed 'dragon' and 'spire,' both 580m, sadly. However, with the help of antenna, the 'dragon' could get taller, as it comments.

The construction will definitely begin this year, no matter which one wins out at last.

Last edited by werico; Apr 24, 2008 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:37 AM

^^ What antenna??

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werico View Post

The two designs are nicknamed 'dragon' and 'spire,' both 580m, sadly.
I'm satisfied with the height.
421, 492, 580... the skyline will have a spectacular cluster.
Increase the height of the Shanghai Center too much and you take the risk to ridicule SWFC and Jin Mao.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 10:46 AM

I agree with Fabb on being satisfied with the proposed height in the recent article. Currently the SWFC can be seen from nearly everywhere in the citycenter, either Puxi or Pudong. It really struck me last month, during my stay there, that lonely Jin Mao had always been too short to be seen from great distance. When the weather is good, you can see the top of SWFC from almost anywhere within the ringroad elevated highway Zhongshan Lu in Puxi. And that is a huge area.

If Shanghai center would be higher than 600 meters, the contrast with it's two supertall neighbours would be disturbing.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 11:07 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahoudun View Post
I agree with Fabb on being satisfied with the proposed height in the recent article. Currently the SWFC can be seen from nearly everywhere in the citycenter, either Puxi or Pudong. It really struck me last month, during my stay there, that lonely Jin Mao had always been too short to be seen from great distance. When the weather is good, you can see the top of SWFC from almost anywhere within the ringroad elevated highway Zhongshan Lu in Puxi. And that is a huge area.

If Shanghai center would be higher than 600 meters, the contrast with it's two supertall neighbours would be disturbing.
I agree with this sentiment. Having been in Shanghai 2.5 years ago, before SWFC got into the skyline, I do remember that the Jin Mao Building did not have the skyline presence that SWFC does. SWFC is a dominating building (as you say, it's amazing the places you can see it from), and if Shanghai Centre was too tall, it would look unbalanced - the increase of heights from Jin Mao to SWFC to Shanghai Centre will be perfect, and form, in my opinion, the best skyscraper cluster in the world.

As to the finalist designs, I like both of them. But as much as I like Foster's work, I have to say that I prefer the Gensler design - it's been my favourite from the beginning, and I hope it wins the final competition.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 10:46 AM

This thread should be moved to Supertall proposals. Can someone move it to the right place in the forum, please?

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 2:48 PM

Thanks for moving the thread here.
:0
By the way, does anyone have any new info on the progress of the final choice between the two remaining proposals?

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 8:41 PM
Ascension

Which are the two remaining proposals?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 10:48 AM

I read something on another Skyscraperforum about Gensler's design being chosen as the one and only final design.

Can someone verify the choice for Gensler's design? Skymyhusband? Giallo? Anyone?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahoudun View Post
I read something on another Skyscraperforum about Gensler's design being chosen as the one and only final design.

Can someone verify the choice for Gensler's design? Skymyhusband? Giallo? Anyone?
yes, Gensler won, TT will be the structural consultant,and Tongji university is LDI

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 11:36 AM
low life in a tall place

Gensler is indeed the winner.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/arti...cle_364364.htm
Quote:
City skyscraper to look like coiled dragon

By Chen Qian | 2008-6-24 | ONLINE EDITION

THE planned 580-meter-tall Shanghai Center will look like a coiled dragon according to its architects, the Architectural Design & Research Institute of Tongji University and United States-based Gensler Firm, Oriental Morning Post reported today.

The top of the skyscraper will look like either a turned up dragon tail or an inverted Olympic torch.

Construction of the building will start this year in Lujiazui, Pudong New Area, under the approval of the Shanghai Development & Reform Commission, the report said.

Once it is finished, it will be the tallest building in China, exceeding the 492 meters of the under-construction Shanghai World Financial Center, the 420.5-meter Jin Mao Tower and Taipei 101, which is the country's present tallest building at 501 meters.

The bid for Shanghai Center started in April 2005. More than 10 domestic and overseas design firms took part.

Gensler and Tongji University will soon begin more detailed designs for the building, the report said. 

Shanghai Center will greatly relieve the shortage of office space in Lujiazui, according to a previous report from Xinhuanet.com.

By the end of 2006, there were 112 office buildings with 7.89 million square meters of space in Lujiazui. Ninety percent of the offices are fully occupied.
Pudong plans to add 3 million square meters of office buildings within five years.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
i'm really excited on this one..

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 2:23 PM
Closed account

Interesting designs. I personally like the second photo, the building is extraordinary!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 7:27 PM

Gensler won!!!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 9:51 PM
low life in a tall place

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...477&type=Metro

Quote:
Dragon to dwarf the city's skyline

By Chen Qian and Li Xinran | 2008-6-25 | NEWSPAPER EDITION

CHINA'S tallest building, to be built in Shanghai, will look like a coiled dragon, according to its designer.

The US firm Gensler and the Shanghai-based Architectural Design & Research Institute of Tongji University will soon deliver more details about the skyscraper, whose construction is planned to start this year, the Oriental Morning Post reported yesterday.

"The Dragon" next to the Jin Mao Tower (right) and the World Financial Center.

A dozen overseas and domestic firms offered designs for the building from April 2005 but Gensler's "Dragon" finally defeated the "Bamboo Shoot" from Britain's Foster & Partners.

The top of the new skyscraper will look either like a turned up dragon tail or an inverted Olympic torch, according to the report.

The 580-meter-high Shanghai Center will top the city's skyline and form an impressive triangle with the 420-meter-high Jin Mao Tower and the 492-meter-high Shanghai World Financial Center in Lujiazui finance and trade zone in Pudong New Area.

A project company with 5.4 billion yuan (US$786 million) in capital has been registered in the city. The Shanghai Chengtou Co, the Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone Development Co and the Shanghai Construction Group are the shareholders.

Once it is completed, the super highrise will have 118 stories and exceed Taiwan's 501-meter Taipei 101 to become the country's tallest building.

It will also be taller than the 555-meter-high Burj Dubai, which is still under construction.

The Shanghai Center is expected to further relieve the shortage of office space in the Lujiazui area.

Lujiazui had 112 office buildings with 7.89 million square meters of space at the end of 2006. Ninety percent of the offices in the area were reported fully occupied.

Pudong plans to add 3 million square meters of office buildings within five years.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 3:17 PM

They said it will be taller than Burj Dubai which is 555 metres which is totally off.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 4:26 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Love how the news "slants" in the "fact" that Taiwan is part of the PRC.

"and exceed Taiwan's 501-meter Taipei 101 to become the country's tallest building"

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:44 PM

Exactly, Taiwan isn't part of the People's Republic of China, at least right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive