HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 8:32 AM
Reason and Freedom

Upcoming Events

An absolute must see, especially for Fred Herzog lovers:
Quote:
Massive New Exhibition Space To Open

Equinox Gallery is about to open a brand new massive exhibition space in one of the former industrial buildings on the former Finning Lands in east Vancouver.

Called Equinox Project Space, it contains 1,115 square metres (12,000 sq ft). That’s six times the size of the exhibition area of the gallery’s main floor on South Granville. The project space is bigger than the main floor of the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Equinox Project Space is being inaugurated with Fred Herzog: A Retrospective. The exhibition will contain all the photographs he’s editioned since 1953 – upwards of 180 works said Andy Sylvester, the gallery’s owner.

“It’s a big space: 12,000 square feet with 25 foot high ceilings,” Sylvester said. “I’m quite proud of it.”

Sylvester said the new exhibition space coincides with the gallery’s 40th anniversary. To mark the occasion, he decided to do something different from a retrospective of the gallery’s art and artists during the past four decades.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/0...space-to-open/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:20 PM
Reason and Freedom

Calling all coffee-house, art-loving types:

A decent timelapse video too.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 11:11 PM

The 420 event has gotten bigger:

Pics by me today:

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 20, 2015 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 11:44 PM

Damn pot heads causing a traffic congestion. Good thing none of them had to work today, as it's only Monday.

It's actually quite interesting to visit St. Paul's hospital on this day. We needed to go there last year for something completely else and it was full of people on bad trips from this event. It is quite interesting and gives one some perspective.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 11:46 PM

Bad trips from weed? Of all places I'd imagine Vancouverites could handle their pot.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 11:47 PM

Bad trips. hahaha.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Bad trips from weed? Of all places I'd imagine Vancouverites could handle their pot.
I am pretty sure there is more than weed involved with those cases, but yeah, this day is very busy for the hospital. The nurse was actually delighted to see also some other patients than just people from 420. There were lots of people drooling and shaking like crazy in the waiting room.

Taking the side streets to get around the crowd can also be quite interesting. Ponds of puke everywhere.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It's very easy to accidentally consume too much if it's in edible form.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 2:04 AM

Pathetic: celebrate your drug dependency day. Maybe next year we can have Crackhead Day or Heroin Injection Day.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Pathetic: celebrate your drug dependency day. Maybe next year we can have Crackhead Day or Heroin Injection Day.
Yeah because its totally the same thing. I know how about a day where everyone drinks booze (oh wait thats every day).....People are entitled to their opinions and all that jazz, but there are some pretty funny ones in this thread....In my opinion. Just so we're clear other then some time in highschool I dont smoke, and would have no interest in attending this event. However I would in no way equate this event to a crackhead day or heroin day because that is just straight up stupidity. I mean I suppose if you are a bluehaired 65 to 100 year old person all set in their ways, shaking their fist at whippersnappers, maybe I coulkd see having that opinion, because you are just too old and too set in your ways to know how silly your beliefs are......

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:51 AM
See ya down under, mates

I think pot should be legalized along with most other street drugs but that 4/20 crowd is pretty terrible. I'd be embarrassed by them if I really cared about the cause.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:16 AM

Doesn't pot kill brain cells? Why does everything have to be 'dumbed down' in this city?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:32 AM

Go here to see my pics of some of that 4/20 crowd.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:40 AM

Hey, I never knew that Hotel Georgia had a sign facing up on their awning.

detail of original pic by officedweller

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
Yeah because its totally the same thing. I know how about a day where everyone drinks booze (oh wait thats every day).....People are entitled to their opinions and all that jazz, but there are some pretty funny ones in this thread....In my opinion. Just so we're clear other then some time in highschool I dont smoke, and would have no interest in attending this event. However I would in no way equate this event to a crackhead day or heroin day because that is just straight up stupidity. I mean I suppose if you are a bluehaired 65 to 100 year old person all set in their ways, shaking their fist at whippersnappers, maybe I coulkd see having that opinion, because you are just too old and too set in your ways to know how silly your beliefs are......
Bullshit, do the research. I have an extended family member whose schizophrenia was triggered by pot use. There's a whole legion of potheads out there trying to downplay the risks:
http://www.schizophrenia.com/research/cannabis.htm

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 2:29 PM

Infrequent Poster: I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it's not worth it, don't feed the troll. Also, you can ignore certain users in your control panel.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Bullshit, do the research. I have an extended family member whose schizophrenia was triggered by pot use. There's a whole legion of potheads out there trying to downplay the risks:
From the parents of a child that abused pot and is now permanently damaged, I've been told that damage from pot is the #1 problem that child and adolescent psychiatrists have to deal with these days.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:38 PM

VCH released info that they treated 15 people with various symptoms yesterday. That number came out really early though. I'm sure it went higher.

My problem is the lack of organization and accountability. If any other group wanted this kind of event they'd have to go through official city channels, get a permit, pay for police and BCAS support, etc.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:59 PM

Updated release today: 64 people admitted to St. Paul's.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Well maybe he shouldnt smoke pot then (or do any drugs for that matter), seeing as he has schizophrenia. Really I dont get what your point is.....I'm taking issue with you equating it to crack and heroin. I'm not trying to down play any issues, at all. But like I said you are too old and to set in your ways to even entertain any other viewpoint. Which is fine by me, its even funny in my opinion.

Edit. Just to play devils advocate, here is a study that says the exact opposite as your link. http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/12...nia/63148.html But really it is just as meaningless as your link, as one can find evidence to support any viewpoint.

Last edited by Infrequent Poster; Apr 21, 2015 at 10:25 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment