HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
That would work and would be the only way to go. As we did with this Athletes Village and selling it off as condos.

The problem is by then there would really be no area in the City of Vancouver to build such a thing. Which means it would have to be somewhere out in Surrey or some place like that. Bringing in the logistics of transportation.
No where today. 20 years ago the flats weren't in the process of being redeveloped. The regional cores are exanding and downtown is naturally going to continue south and east. there will be ample opportunity for high-density development as we are seeing in SEFC. trick would be to do it all at once again rather than one building per year.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
you guys talk like the world will exist after dec 21 2012
If I make it to London 2012, I won't care. They are mulling the idea of having a "Central" party area like Vancouver had. CRAAAAZY!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:35 AM

that would be insane i wonder where they will put it

the crowds here the last two weeks reminded me of london on any saturday i have been there

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:37 AM

so why is everyone here talking if this actually happen all the people would be in just Vancouver its a joint venture with Vancouver and Seattle. We would have to house everyone. As for Venues i'm sure they'd be in cities near where the HSR would pass mean place like Richmond likely would hold events in it so canada line would be push badly

although i have a feeling Toronto will be the next Canadian city to hold olympics since it hasnt actaully done anything. We've had expo and olympics and so has Montreal and Alberta is looking to host and expo soon too. So to be fair Toronto is likely to be next.

But it would be nice to see us get it cause we could make a first in olympic history again by being the first multi country hosted olympics

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:41 AM

i think its becoming too much of an expense for just one city/country to host and it will probably become a more common thing for some places to share it

the IOC will lighten up a little in the future too i think

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:44 AM

If FIFA comes to Canada (and Vancouver) in 2018, I says we oughts to name a transit line after it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If FIFA comes to Canada (and Vancouver) in 2018, I says we oughts to name a transit line after it.
well at the rate of the ever green line is getting done we could change its name to the FIFA line

then maybe we can look at changing canada lines name to its name it should have had the olympic line

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 2:12 PM

There has been serious discussion about a Windsor-Detroit bid for either 2020 or 2024. Personally I'd rather see the games there than in Vancouver-Seattle.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 2:16 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
well at the rate of the ever green line is getting done we could change its name to the FIFA line

then maybe we can look at changing canada lines name to its name it should have had the olympic line
I'm afraid that the "Olympic Line" name has been taken by the street car running from Cambie to Granville Island. I hope the line and name stay, that would be a great legacy to the city!

That said, I think the "FIFA Line" would be the "World Line" or something to that effect. Oddly, that's the name Canada Line should have, as it connects the world (via YVR) to Vancouver.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 4:44 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

The International Line, obviously.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 5:55 PM

It will never happen.

Its high time our government focused on more prosaic things like hospital wait times, social housing and better transit. Put the shiny baubles away.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:00 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
There has been serious discussion about a Windsor-Detroit bid for either 2020 or 2024. Personally I'd rather see the games there than in Vancouver-Seattle.
You should probably just be happy if that area has any human inhabitants left by 2024.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
It will never happen nor would I want it to happen. A dual-nation host ruins the entire concept of an Olympic Games. It would not win with the IOC.

These are the IOC's venue requirements for the Summer Games host:

Personally, for a Vancouver Summer Olympics I'd like to see four B.C. host cities: Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, West Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna, and Calgary. I made the following list of venues quite awhile ago, however rugby and golf - the newest sports in the Games - have not been included yet as the venue requirements are not known:

In addition, any real shot for Vancouver to host the Summer Olympics won't come until the 2030's. That's when the city realistically will be able to HOST them in addition to being actually able to win.
Um....
When did Calgary AB get annexed to BC?

If you're including Calgary, you might as well include Edmonton (just so they don't feel left out - and where some of the gov't cash to support the games comes from).

However, having the venues over 1000 KMs apart will be a logistical nightmare. just imagine visitors having to book hotel rooms, flights, car rentals and ferries to events that are happening in Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary and Edmonton over a week or two. What happens if an event in Calgary is postponed to the next morning - when you're supposed to be in Victoria that afternoon for a different event? Can your hotel reservation in Calgary be extended another day? will you lose your deposit for canceling a night in Victoria with less than 24 hrs notice?

How many Athlete's villages and media villages will have to be built?

If Canada gets a FIFA World Cup, you can be assured that the early games will be played across the country, but the semi's and finals will be in Toronto or Montreal. (gotta get the live TV audience on the US East Coast - aka New York)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 12:24 AM

Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto anyone?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 12:54 AM

How would Detroit afford the Olympics?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 1:01 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
If something happens to Hong Kong and a million people move here overnight, we'd be capable of hosting the Summer Games!
Can they move their MTR here as well? =)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
You should probably just be happy if that area has any human inhabitants left by 2024.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It will never happen.

Its high time our government focused on more prosaic things like hospital wait times, social housing and better transit. Put the shiny baubles away.
I hope that by the time 2028 rolls around we as a society can be rid of ridiculous naysayers like you two.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 6:20 AM

London 2012 will be interesting. It seems like the Winter Olympics are 4-5 times the size of the summer. Considering the increase in athletes, events, venues, etc beyond what we just saw in Vancouver, they are nearly unsustainable.

Frankly they are getting to the point where only a select group of cities or countries are able to host them, and that group keeps getting smaller. Unless we see it begin to stretch out to a month (doubtful), I think it will begin to shrink somewhat, possibly with Rio 2016.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It will never happen.

The things you describe are a never-ending money pit. I'm all for public health care, but our current system will bankrupt us all if it continues on it's current course.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 6:33 AM

kelowna is much further than seattle with worse roads and connections

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]