HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFromOttawa View Post
Really disappointed no 'traditional' bars like the Royal Oak or a sports bar like St. Louis or something haven't moved in. This seems like the perfect place for a before game/after game drink type thing.
I've never been in a Jack Astor's but I was under the impression that it was basically a sports bar?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFFournier View Post
I've never been in a Jack Astor's but I was under the impression that it was basically a sports bar?
Its been a long time since I've been to Jack Astor's but I wouldn't have classified it as a sports bar.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I don't go to places with silly or suggestive names, like Jack Astor's, or Filthy McNasty's (or even Philthy McNasty's for that matter). To me the attention grabbing names speak more about the character (and intended audience) of the place that what's actually inside the building.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:50 PM

I've been to Jack Astor's on a few occasions - it's similar to Boston Pizza for those who wonder. Except their 'bar side' isn't completely segregated from the dining side.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I don't go to places with silly or suggestive names, like Jack Astor's, or Filthy McNasty's (or even Philthy McNasty's for that matter). To me the attention grabbing names speak more about the character (and intended audience) of the place that what's actually inside the building.
No Hooters for you, then?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
How is Jack Astor's suggestive?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Jack As(s)tor's

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I don't think they do it anymore (good business decision) but at night their sign use to flash between being fully lit up and lighting up only the 'AS-S' part.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:47 PM

If that donkey rump lights up at night, I imagine many residents of the Glebe would see it as OSEG telling them to kiss their ass.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:33 AM

Quality of the food has taken a huge hit over the last couple of years, we don't go anymore.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:57 AM

So, unique, and classy.

Goody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I don't think they do it anymore (good business decision) but at night their sign use to flash between being fully lit up and lighting up only the 'AS-S' part.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 3:33 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecz_dad View Post
So, unique, and classy.

Goody.
Not like I expected you to know any better, but most Jack Astor's don't have the donkey/mule/ass on them any more.

Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Not like I expected you to know any better, but most Jack Astor's don't have the donkey/mule/ass on them any more.

I have a buddy who works for Jack Astor's in more of a corporate function. He says they are trying to reposition themselves as more up-market but dependable in a "you know what you're getting" sort of way. So better and more varied food, nicer decor and less emphasis on sports (ie, they'll still have screens in the bar area but they not turn the sound on).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 9:53 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CongoJack View Post
I have a buddy who works for Jack Astor's in more of a corporate function. He says they are trying to reposition themselves as more up-market but dependable in a "you know what you're getting" sort of way. So better and more varied food, nicer decor and less emphasis on sports (ie, they'll still have screens in the bar area but they not turn the sound on).
ugh this legitimately annoys me. It's going to be the sports center of the city and no actual sports bars on site? Makes no sense!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post

Ah, I see!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFromOttawa View Post
ugh this legitimately annoys me. It's going to be the sports center of the city and no actual sports bars on site? Makes no sense!!
This would've been a great place for Real Sports Bar and Grill; better than the market I think.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 4:55 AM

There still seem to be plenty of outlets that have the old signage, just working my way through the first few on the website, e.g.:

Maybe they're repositioning their decor a bit, but looking at the promotional videos on their website, it looks like they still rely on large slices of T&A from comely young lasses servin' up tallboys. All that's different is toning down the most obvious low humour.

Perhaps part of the reason not to have so many sports bars, despite the moans of some here, is that chains realize that the fans coming on event nights won't be enough to support multiple iterations of the "same old, same old," giant TVs everywhere and vaguely-edible food.

They realize the residents of the surrounding neighbourhoods -- the ones they're going to have to entice in when the hooligans aren't around (that is, most nights) -- are not interested in greasy pad thai and bilious chicken wings, so a better grade of cuisine will be required if eateries will survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CongoJack View Post

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 5:27 AM
Busy Beaver

Maybe Jacques' Trap of Carlsbad Springs could be convinced to open a branch at Lansdowne instead.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecz_dad View Post
They realize the residents of the surrounding neighbourhoods -- the ones they're going to have to entice in when the hooligans aren't around (that is, most nights) -- are not interested in greasy pad thai and bilious chicken wings, so a better grade of cuisine will be required if eateries will survive.
Ugh, what is WRONG with you people...now food has to be a certain grade of cuisine?? You're like the weirdest spoiled children. Good old sports bars aren't SUPPOSED to be serving quality food. It's a place of drinking and sports; that's it!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 12:26 PM

Why are you referring to AD in the plural? He doesn't bring the credibility of mass support to his trolling!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa