HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

View Poll Results: Which has a better urban vibe?
Midtown / St. Paul's 2 66.67%
East End (Danforth, Beaches) 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 2:02 AM

East End vs. Midtown: which has a better urban vibe?

I think most would agree that the west end (i.e. Davenport, Parkdale-High Park, and western University-Rosedale and Spadina-Fort York) has probably the best urban vibe outside downtown. But what about the east end (Danforth and Beaches wards) vs. midtown (St. Paul's ward)?

Midtown is more dense/high-rise, but on the other hand it's probably less "hipster" and more establishmentarian.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:11 AM

I recall being in Toronto years back, and going to The Beaches. For me, it was the mellowest, most charming part of the city. I could live there any day

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 6:33 AM
Midtowner since 2K

The immediate west end is definitely the most prime urban area outside of the downtown proper....but now, in terms of what would be next between those two areas chosen?

I'd put my money on the east end, I lived there for a time and although I've resided in Midtown for most of my life, I can say it is more suburban. Big differences between the two would be the road design, housing and just the way the communities grew. Much of Midtown has been shaped by mid-century design principles and roadwork, which allow for dense housing, but a more quiet, not quite as urban experience...especially when it comes to how avenues are more stark compared to inner streets. I find the East End has more or less mostly older housing stock, more gridded and thereby efficient road design, more retail pockets and not as many parks, but the park spaces you do find are generally a bit more....well designed.

Keep in mind Midtown and the East End are very similar IMO, at least outside of the difference in skylines, but the road design is notable. (Also, the age of housing....it's not much of a difference, and in fact, is the same in some areas. You can find century old houses in both areas)

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:15 AM

Yeah, the inner west end to downtown transition is pretty seamless. University Ave./Queen's Park don't really interrupt the "flow." Around Spadina it's a "downtown" and "neighborhood" transition zone. The western boundary of downtown is the least "hard."

Transition from downtown to east end is less smooth due to postwar urban renewal, Don River and DVP. Going north you have the CPR tracks/Dupont and Rosedale Valley.

Midtown has high-rise/high-density Yonge Corridor, east end is more low-rise residential and lacks an equivalent. St. Clair West (west of Bathurst) has a similar level of urbanism to The Danforth, but I'm not sure if it's "midtown" or "west end" there. The west end (if defined as old city west of Bathurst) is rather diverse. Bathurst to Christie or Oakwood may be more midtown-ish, beyond there it's not really "midtown" anymore.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 8:59 PM
The New Republic

They're both fine but a little too shabby and sleepy for me. It's fine for a visit 1-2 times/year but no more than that.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 8:40 PM

Yonge and St. Clair is "shabby"?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:17 AM
Midtowner since 2K

The closest you could get to high density in the East end would be probably Throncliffe Park when I think of it...there's no real solid collection of apartment buildings anywhere in East York and on the fringes that can compete with that area in terms of sheer density with units and housing types. (Just something I was thinking about from an earlier post by Docere)

St. Clair is an interesting road to follow down I find...I agree with your sentiment. It drops off once you get past Dufferin or so. I mean, its still solid and fairly urban, but it's not the type of street design or planning you'd associate with Midtown...by then you're too far off and in an area which is definiteively it's own area. I mean, Midtown is somethign that starts and spreads fromYonge....theres only so far you can venture west and east before you bleed into something more distinctly...."un-Midtown"

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:17 PM

Midtown is kind of vaguely defined, and there seems to be some overlap with North Toronto, though I suspect the term "North Toronto" is falling out of use. Most commonly used for the semi-suburban neighborhoods north of Eglinton, but it included the more densely populated and busy Davisville/South Eglinton area too (which is probably now commonly referred to as Midtown more than anywhere else at this point). Further south, Yonge and St. Clair was commonly referred to as midtown when I was growing up.

Last edited by Docere; May 18, 2021 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:19 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I think as the area has grown, and well, since alglamation, the idea of "Midtown" has come to be more say, middle of the new "megacity", and residents have only come to adjust to that idea recently. Yonge and Bloor to Yonge and St. Clair in itself is generally the Midtown most Torontonians are used to....but with alglamation, I think the notion of shifting the "district" (it's more just a name...you can't really define Midtown that well) northward to Eglinton came about mroe naturally than anything, now that Toronto's Uptown (which was Yonge and Eglinton) is well...in a sense, North York (It's up from Downtown, and well, the opposite direction from downtown, whereas Midtown is the in-between roughly)

It's an interesting topic I find...and I think what was North Toronto is slowly being recognized, at least in the southern parts, is that it's more or less the centre of the city now...and calling it Midtown does make sense. Historically, the area was North Toronto...as in the pocket of development north of downtown (A.K.A. the town of Eglinton), and still retained that name even as suburbia sprang up in the post war years. The area is still very much....North Toronto in that sense, but seeing as how it's also become the geographic centre of the city (more of less....of course the geographic centre is more east), calling it Midtown is a name of convenience in one way, and a good label when thinking of it's place in the city.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:12 AM

Mount Pleasant Cemetery and the Beltline separate historic North Toronto from Yonge-St. Clair, connecting Davisville, Yonge and Eglinton and "Uptown Yonge" with the more suburban Lytton Park and so on, so you can kinda "feel" the change. OTOH Davisville and Yonge/Eg are (mostly) part of the densely populated part of the St. Paul's electoral district, rather than part of North York-centered electoral districts where more suburban outlooks dominate.

What's interesting is there's an Uptown BIA north of Eglinton and a Midtown BIA at Davisville.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I think as the area has grown, and well, since alglamation, the idea of "Midtown" has come to be more say, middle of the new "megacity", and residents have only come to adjust to that idea recently. Yonge and Bloor to Yonge and St. Clair in itself is generally the Midtown most Torontonians are used to....but with alglamation, I think the notion of shifting the "district" (it's more just a name...you can't really define Midtown that well) northward to Eglinton came about mroe naturally than anything, now that Toronto's Uptown (which was Yonge and Eglinton) is well...in a sense, North York (It's up from Downtown, and well, the opposite direction from downtown, whereas Midtown is the in-between roughly)

It's an interesting topic I find...and I think what was North Toronto is slowly being recognized, at least in the southern parts, is that it's more or less the centre of the city now...and calling it Midtown does make sense. Historically, the area was North Toronto...as in the pocket of development north of downtown (A.K.A. the town of Eglinton), and still retained that name even as suburbia sprang up in the post war years. The area is still very much....North Toronto in that sense, but seeing as how it's also become the geographic centre of the city (more of less....of course the geographic centre is more east), calling it Midtown is a name of convenience in one way, and a good label when thinking of it's place in the city.
Are "downtown" and "uptown" directionals in Toronto? In other words from Yorkville does one head "downtown" to Union Station and "uptown" to Yonge and Eglinton, say?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I recall being in Toronto years back, and going to The Beaches. For me, it was the mellowest, most charming part of the city. I could live there any day
The Beaches is in many ways the "best" east end neighborhood, as there's nothing in really in the west end like it. It being a bit removed probably adds to the charm.

A lot of east end neighborhoods dare I say feel like a pale imitation of the west end, and there's more "gaps" in the urban flow of neighborhoods. Little Italy, Ossington Strip, Little Portugal, West Queen West and so on. There are some gaps in the northwest fringe of the west end though (around Dupont and Davenport say), more like the east end in some ways.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:32 PM

Beaches is unique in the GTA, a continuous waterfront integrated with the surrounding neighbourhood. Only other place that comes close is Ajax. It is kinda isolated, especially coming from the west end, compared to Yonge/St. Clair is more like a secondary downtown.

I don't know why Toronto area is weighted more to the west than the east. Scarborough probably more on the level of Mississauga than of Etobicoke, Oshawa not the same level as Hamilton, nothing comparable to Brampton east of Markham and Toronto, and Beaches probably not on the same level as Parkdale either.

But the waterfront on the east side probably superior to the west side. Maybe this summer I will have to take the train to Danforth station to check it out. With the LRT construction, getting to Port Credit station not as convenient as it used to be, but I will try.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 2:59 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Are "downtown" and "uptown" directionals in Toronto? In other words from Yorkville does one head "downtown" to Union Station and "uptown" to Yonge and Eglinton, say?
In the basic sense of the word as in, going "up town" or "down to the main part of town", I think you can say that it's directional. Just by the way Midtown, Downtown and Uptown has historically been labelled in the city, there's a good case for it being mostly directional...though of course it has it's own purpose in terms of what it means to the local community and its connotation/association etc.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:23 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Mount Pleasant Cemetery and the Beltline separate historic North Toronto from Yonge-St. Clair, connecting Davisville, Yonge and Eglinton and "Uptown Yonge" with the more suburban Lytton Park and so on, so you can kinda "feel" the change. OTOH Davisville and Yonge/Eg are (mostly) part of the densely populated part of the St. Paul's electoral district, rather than part of North York-centered electoral districts where more suburban outlooks dominate.

What's interesting is there's an Uptown BIA north of Eglinton and a Midtown BIA at Davisville.
Yes, I agree. It's interesting in that North Toronto was right at Eglinton and Yonge (North Toronto Collegiate is on Broadway Ave, a little north but the original village known as North Toronto was centred around the intersection of Yonge and Eglinton to Broadway or so....heck town hall was on the NW corner of Yonge n Broadway), and well, that history has become less relevant as times have changed. Seeing all this new construction molding this area into a high density hub...which definitely wouldn't share the same concerns as suburbanites in Lytton Park, or out toward Avenue Road, or Mt. Pleasant etc, is turning out to be rather interesting I find....the area had for years been on the edge of a suburban/urban edge I'd almost say, and now is definitely becoming it's own urban core.

Is it strange? Yes....because (like you said), there's a lot of different neighbourhoods around, like "Uptown Yonge"...which leads up to the 401, is much like a small town's downtown core.....but then you see a massive wall of skyscrapers now that lets you know you're entering the Yonge n Eglinton area. You can definitely "feel" it going north to south, west to east....it's very strange, especially for anyone whose lived in the area for years.

I think in 20 years, Yonge and Davisville to Eglinton will come to be quite a substantial area in general in terms of population. Though I think there will be some modifications necessary to the electorate maps at some point...the growth in soem parts is explosive, like the NE quadrant of Yonge and Eglinton south of Keewatin, but west of Mt. Pleasant.

Oh, and yes...the Beaches are really quite a unique place in Toronto's general context. There's no place quite like it in the city, and despite it being a little bit of a ways from downtown, it has great bones as an older streetcar suburb. Toronto's general lean to the west in terms of more...emphasis in a way is really interesting. I'm not so sure of exactly why, but I gather the area settled earlier with settlers havign known the trails and area from trading posts from the Mississaugas, and later on with the establishment of what is now U of T. (which likely helps bolster growth in the area, and yes, of course it helped that Queens Park came into being as well)
With more railway connections to communities west like Hamilton and London, I suppose industry grew more in that immediate direction....and housing/ neighbourhoods followed.

One big thing I forgot to mention as well is the geography in the eastern part of the city definitely plays a role....the ravines and creeks that run through the East (Taylor Massey Creek, Don Valley), along with the way they meandered and cutoff much of what's now East York really made it tough for people to settle in the area until much later on.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:12 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I don't know why Toronto area is weighted more to the west than the east.
Back in the factory days the wind would blow from the west to the east, so the east end would get all the smoke and pollution. It's a common theme in a lot of cities from similar times (wealthier neighbourhoods developed in cleaner areas). You can see this in Montreal too with an area like Anjou/Nord-Isle.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:27 PM

The Don definitely delayed development. The west end was pretty much built up before WWI. The east end continued to fill in during the interwar period - the construction of the Prince Edward Viaduct spurred growth. The westward tilt is still noticeable today. Danforth and Pape, about 3.5 km from Yonge and Bloor, isn't too far from "bungalow belt" territory. Contrast that with equidistant Bloor and Dovercourt.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Back in the factory days the wind would blow from the west to the east, so the east end would get all the smoke and pollution. It's a common theme in a lot of cities from similar times (wealthier neighbourhoods developed in cleaner areas). You can see this in Montreal too with an area like Anjou/Nord-Isle.
It's not just affluent neighborhoods, the west end is more populated than the east end period. There are more working class neighborhoods in the west too.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 6:30 PM

A document from 1965 that divides the (old) city of Toronto into West, Central, North and East sectors.

https://archive.org/details/proposal...e/n33/mode/2up

The distance between Bloor and Bathurst and Bloor and Jane, Danforth and Broadview and Victoria Park, and Rosedale station to Yonge and Teddington Park are all about 6 km.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 2:30 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Interesting map, considering how development had gone ahead in that time, and how development has continued in the years since in those areas specifically.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto