HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:18 AM

Hey Simpseatles!

1) I believe the Dundas/Lyle crane would be fore the Medallion development (condos and apartments I believe). The few renderings I've seen look great.

2) I agree fully about the Renaissance, as I imagine a great many forumers here do as well.

3)Yes the new Goodwill is a great addition to Horton St and SOHO. It's a shame they're building a parking lot across the street, though.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:01 AM

Here are two images of what the development at Dundas and Lyle will look like, and you can look at the thread discussing it here.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 1:20 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^ Wow, those look astounding! I remember seeing them in the Free Press a while ago, but I never thought they would get built. I just don't understand why the London forumers haven't been making a bigger deal out of this. I know I haven't always kept track of the forum, but to see that a project like this is under construction, not only in stucco city, but in a less than fasionable neighbourhood is awesome. And 21 and 24 storeys is a great height.

Sorry for not being in the loop about this project, but thanks for letting me know Kokkei Mizu, and van Hemessen!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 8:54 AM
bro

Smile

The Medallion development really is impressive. With construction progressing quickly it will be exciting to see what these buildings do for the look of the area. You've likely noticed already, Simpseatles, but there are 2 other large projects happening in Dundas East. The seniors apartments being built at the old Centretown Mall site and the Terrasan project at the site of the Embassy. I know I probably sound like a broken record, but I am really hopeful that all of this recent work will give Old East the kick in the ass that it needs.

And unfortunately I agree with you about Renaissance 2. Having yet another concrete twin tower complex is not what London's skyline needs. However, I'd imagine the benefits of the building's occupants on downtown far outweighs whatever aesthetic impact the second building will have on the look of London. Still ugly as sin, though.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 4:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

When was the last time anybody visted the oxbury mall? On the shittiness scale, where does it rank? London mall ranks a perfect ten; Argyle mall, a nine.

"2 bedroom Apartment steps from Oxbury Mall Apartments For Rent London Ontario" http://www.prop2go.com/viewlisting.aspx?id=1134

Sign me the fark up!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 4:37 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

^I know someone who used to go there for the liquidation store, but once it left they stopped going. When your mall can't support a liquidation store you know it's in trouble!

I think London just has way too many malls, and especially a lot of mini-malls. Argyle, Cherryhill, London Mall, the one at Gainsbourough and Wonderland, and the former Oakridge Mall. I mean if your gonna build a mall, build a mall, and if your gonna build a strip plaza, then build one. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these old half-malls, half-plazas are the first to lose buisness to Smart Centres.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 6:39 AM
User Registered

I think I've been to Oxbury once... looks like a strip mall from the outside.

I've been to the London mall a few times and the same goes for the Superstore (or something like that) mall north of the 401.

I also used to go to the Wonderland Mall before that was converted to the Athletic Club, Adventures on Wonderland and Angelos.

London does indeed have too much commercial retail zone. I know people at Western who have wrote their graduate thesis on this issue. To quickly summarize them: it's nuts.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 3:34 AM
bro

I doubt many of you have noticed the redevelopment of this walk-up on Princess, but it's coming along very nicely. They've gutted the entire building and are turning it into affordable housing for seniors. The place used to be a dive with shady characters sleeping on picnic tables and rusted bikes locked up all over the property. The back of the building faces onto Hope St. (Hopeless St.) which was even more seedy.

Love seeing this kind of redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 3:04 AM
Londoner

It looks great!!!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 11:40 PM

Yea I was in London for the weekend and drove by. It truly does look great. It's always been one of my favorites.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 2:43 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Anybody seen the progress made on the Medallion Towers. I would love to see photo updates every little while! Same goes for the Renaissence, but I'm much more interested in these ones.

I don't get the chance to go by very often, and I'm not so skilled with my camera!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Anybody seen the progress made on the Medallion Towers. I would love to see photo updates every little while! Same goes for the Renaissence, but I'm much more interested in these ones.

I don't get the chance to go by very often, and I'm not so skilled with my camera!
Here's a few photos I snapped the other day for ya. I took them from my car, so not the best quality, but you get the idea.

As seen from King St. looking north:

As seen from the corner of King St. and Hewitt St. looking west:

As seen from Hewitt St. looking southwest:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 11:47 PM

I've been in Oxbury Mall twice in the past four months. If London Mall is a 10, Oxbury Mall is an 8. The only saving graces it has is that it has a grocery store and a post office. The inside, like London Mall, looks really run down, and I also found it very cold in this particular mall. It's just far enough away from Fanshawe College that it doesn't get much Fanshawe traffic; both times I was in there it was filled with seniors, although not as crowded as Cherryhill Village Mall.

That Pizza Pizza is now called Mr. Pizza. It looks identical to Pizza Pizza.

Years ago the anchors in that mall were Zellers and Miracle Foodmart.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 1:27 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
Here's a few photos I snapped the other day for ya. I took them from my car, so not the best quality, but you get the idea.

As seen from King St. looking north:

As seen from the corner of King St. and Hewitt St. looking west:

As seen from Hewitt St. looking southwest:
^Nice!

Thanks for the update Kokkei Mizu! I can't wait for this one, It's unlike anything else being built in the city.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I've been in Oxbury Mall twice in the past four months. If London Mall is a 10, Oxbury Mall is an 8. The only saving graces it has is that it has a grocery store and a post office. The inside, like London Mall, looks really run down, and I also found it very cold in this particular mall. It's just far enough away from Fanshawe College that it doesn't get much Fanshawe traffic; both times I was in there it was filled with seniors, although not as crowded as Cherryhill Village Mall.

That Pizza Pizza is now called Mr. Pizza. It looks identical to Pizza Pizza.

Years ago the anchors in that mall were Zellers and Miracle Foodmart.
Mr. Pizza. How original. Kinda like Mr. Muffler, Mr. Sub, Mr. Donut. Mister Mister (take...these broken wings!!).

I demand photos of Oxbury mall interior!

Time to take another trip to London mall. Just for the shittiness. Why does this fascinate me?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 1:29 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I demand photos of Oxbury mall interior!

Time to take another trip to London mall. Just for the shittiness. Why does this fascinate me?
http://deadmalls.com/malls/galleria_london.html

Not sure if you've ever been on this website, but it's pretty cool for the dead mall enthusiast. The only one they've got from London is Galleria, but they should add Westmount.

I share your bizarre interest in these empty monoliths. There's just something about seeing, or walking in these huge ghost towns of suburbia that fascinates me! I'd be more interested to see some pics of Westmount (so many memories!), but any are good.

Maybe we should put them in the London Malls thread though. Then we can combine this exploration of London's seedy mall culture into one place!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 2:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^great idea.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 12:53 AM

I was just in Oxbury Mall for the first time last week and it is quite crappy. I can't figure out why they chose to use that particular floor tile, it's actually really annoying just to walk on.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 8:13 PM

The redevelopment of the Princess street apt is very nice and as an ex-Londoner I have to admit I have no idea where it is.
Can someone let me know?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 8:24 PM

I noticed on the deadmalls website that it includes the Galleria. I would have definetly agreed 10 years ago but not so much now. It has done a great job of filling the space up with the library and UWO and Fanshaw campuses and call centre. It is still a nice mall and I understand a fairly large tenant has decided to move back into the mall.
All that was a resurgence of downtown, a growing downtown population, and the fall of Westmount I think it, unlike most dead malls, has turned the corner and is going to continue to get back, at least some, of it's former glory.
It died as did downtown 20 years ago but like downtown which has done a 189 I think it's fortunes are going the same way.
If London finally gets a new downtown grocery store and part of it is attached or part of Galleria {which I can definately see} it will soar back to life.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates