HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:45 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Lawsuit of the week: Lawsuits take Shangri-La developers to task over allegedly defective windows
https://www.biv.com/must-read/#lawsu...a-developers-t
I'd be curious to know who supplied them/manufactured them. The amount of inspection (pre/install/post) done on our projects that involved curtain wall is considerable.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
... Sounds like a very similar story to what happened with One Wall Centre...
Hopefully we won't end up with a 2-tone Shangri-La
- with newly replaced windows on the condo levels and old windows on the hotel (not sure if the hotel is part of the lawsuit).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:32 PM

Maybe they can finally make those glowing squares on the east facade work properly while they're at it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:43 AM

Shameful the tallest tower in the city doesn't light up at night. With so many newer towers lit up, I hope the owners will come together to consider some lighting features.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 11:40 AM

Jan.16 '16, my pic

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:20 AM

I was just noticing the trees at the rooftop level today because of the light. At first I thought they might be palms but then after enlarging the photo it's clear they are something else. Any one know? Looks like they've had a severe pruning.

May 16 '16, my pics

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:27 AM

More pics shot closer which might help with identifying them:

Source: Vancitybuzz

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:43 AM

Thanks! Interesting… if those are the same trees then I wonder if they half died during the drought last summer. Maybe this spring they started sprouting from the bottom area and they brought in an arborist who recommended lopping the tops off and letting them regrow. Maybe that's what will happen to the Eugenia tree down at English Bay.

Last edited by mcminsen; May 17, 2016 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post

photo by JohnChowDotCom on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnchowdotcom/

photo by JohnChowDotCom on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnchowdotcom/
from a few pages back

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:32 AM

Tea anyone?

http://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applica...rgia/index.htm

Quote:
A new Tea Room is proposed in the Galleria on Level 1, within an area defined in the original rezoning for the hotel outdoor seating. This new Tea Room is intended to connect to the hotel lobby. An earlier conversion of the original Lobby Lounge into a retail space reduced the available lobby seating area for the hotel. The Tea Room would re-introduce seating and animate the pedestrian Galleria connection between Georgia Street and Alberni Street and provide an amenity for shoppers. Given the location of the Tea Room is within the rezoning defined hotel outdoor seating zone, there is no reduction of the public open space area defined in the original rezoning. (refer to attached seating zone diagram)

The modifications proposed on Level 3 include weather protecting the existing bridge that links the hotel restaurant to the west podium and fully enclosing the existing restaurant terrace area, facing Alberni Street. The bridge enclosure will provide a weather protected arrival experience for people using the platform elevators at street level or from the general underground public parking. The weather protection of the existing bridge will also benefit the current restaurants on the west podium.
Shadows cast by the new Commercial Tower on Alberni Street negatively impacted sunlight on the Level 3 existing outdoor restaurant terrace, which has compromised the viability of the restaurant. The design of the terrace enclosure is a fully glazed prismatic form, in response to the architectural language of the two Level 3 restaurants on the west podium area. The enclosure extends the restaurant to the Alberni Street front and will further animate the pedestrian realm.

The modifications to Level 6 propose enclosing a portion of the existing roof terrace fronting along Thurlow Street and will replace the temporary weather protection used for functions during inclement weather. The design connects to an existing glass canopy overhanging the terrace and, as such, is held back from all podium edges in order to retain the existing podium design and minimize the visual impact from street level.
Some slight changes coming to the ground level, 3rd and 6th floors. I feel it be a slight embellishment to claim that the shadowing from 745 Thurlow has affected the viability of the restaurant.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:35 PM

The tea house addition is such a joke. Why on earth should the City allow them to build even 650 SF of enclosed building on the plaza area? Even if it was allowed for outdoor seating in the original rezoning, why should it be allowed to be enclosed it now? This building was just opened less than 8 years ago and there is already several similar places in a one-block radius.

I absolutely love how the application basically pleads poverty as a basis for why Gillespie should get his way. Unreal.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:52 PM

Agreed. The plaza will feel so constricted now.

They gave up the original tea room space for the Rolex store, only to attempt to take over some nice plaza space for a new tea room? Hmmm

I do like how the 3 floor gangway will become enclosed. Given the wet windy conditions between the buildings, it makes sense to have that space enclosed.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
http://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applica...rgia/index.htm

Some slight changes coming to the ground level, 3rd and 6th floors. I feel it be a slight embellishment to claim that the shadowing from 745 Thurlow has affected the viability of the restaurant.
Well the first restaurant was DOA before they even started construction.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Agreed. The plaza will feel so constricted now.

They gave up the original tea room space for the Rolex store, only to attempt to take over some nice plaza space for a new tea room? Hmmm
Exactly. The original design wasn't very well thought out and didn't take full advantage of the retail on Alberni, so what? Now they should automatically be compensated? For what exactly?

I'm still in disbelief that the City is processing this.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Exactly. The original design wasn't very well thought out and didn't take full advantage of the retail on Alberni, so what? Now they should automatically be compensated? For what exactly?

I'm still in disbelief that the City is processing this.
It's Westbank, of course the city will bend over!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 8:05 PM

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 5:36 PM

Basking in beautiful sunset. My tribute to Empire Landmark Hotel.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 10:25 PM

full image is 2800x29000

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post

full image is 2800x29000
Great photo. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:54 AM

We have been to many buildings in Downtown, but we have never visited Shangri-La until now. Today we had a chance to see an unit on the 37th floor which claimed to be 1300 sqft in size with a nice open view towards east.

Interestingly this building has two separate lobbies with residential floors up to 43th floor using the Alberni Street entrance and floor above it one on West Georgia Street. Interesting that in even a building like this people have to be separated from wealthy and "wealthy".

We have seen all kind of things with these prime units, but even then we were caught off-guard by the information that this unit had never been lived in - in a building completed in 2008. And they were not kidding, the unit has indeed been sitting empty for 10 years and due to that a lot of dust had accumulated everywhere. We were told that the owner had no intention of selling the unit, but after 10 years wanted to now suddenly wanted to rent it out. One has to wonder if any recent tax had anything to do with that decision...

Unfortunately the unit turned out to be much smaller than advertized in size (~1,000 sqft instead of 1,300) - a typical "mistake" in Vancouver market - so the layout didn't work for us. I didn't take a photo, but there even was a huge pillar in almost middle of the bedroom, making the space VERY awkward to furnish.

View towards east was nice from this high up and I can only assume it gets even nicer the higher you go.

So the unit didn't work out for us, but that's okay as we will be signing a lease for a new home tomorrow evening somewhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver