HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:10 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Homeless people with fires under an old heavily used wooden bridge structure in a large metro area = accident waiting to happen. Surely someone should have seen this as a high risk scenario and have done something about it. The structure should have been steel, concrete, or somehow fireproofed, or made inaccesible. I heard that people were delayed up to three hours on their commute this morning.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:50 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here is a list of BC's "shovel ready" projects, from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities List of 2009 ‘Shovel Ready’ Municipal Infrastructure Projects, in case it hasn't been posted here:

http://dcnonl.com/fcmbc

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 6:04 AM

I'm sure that something that can handle a reasonable sinking rate can be built. Just build the berm with a retaining wall (the wall will slowly sink) and have a joint that can go up/down a certain amount to compensate as it sinks. After all, a 10 year lifespan should be the target.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 6:24 AM
Hello World

Holy shit worst commute ever today. I've decided I'm gonna drive up to my closest stop and ride (South Surrey Exchange) to get to bus that will take me to King George Station and ride the skytrain to work tomorrow. Hope everybody does the same and use public transit

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 6:35 AM

from the Sun

Winter of 1962

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 7:08 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Holy shit worst commute ever today. I've decided I'm gonna drive up to my closest stop and ride (South Surrey Exchange) to get to bus that will take me to King George Station and ride the skytrain to work tomorrow. Hope everybody does the same and use public transit
I would recommend getting on at up town White Rock, as the bus will likely be full by the time it hits the Park and Ride - that is, if you can even find a place to park.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:14 AM
Yellow Fever

from flickr.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong Kongese View Post

from flickr.
That's an awesome pic. A new bridge is much needed. I don't understand why the Pattulo bridge was built with wood (not the main area). Not steel? Why is that?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:39 AM

^ the bridge was built in 1937. Consider that next time.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:40 AM

So with the renewed calls for more bridges and such, I thought I'd put together a quick vision map. Now I know I'm used to pimping the transit, but I'm an open person, and it's quite clear that there's a lack of redundancy built into our transport system.

The red lines are provincial highways, and the blue are major regional connections (i.e. urban freeways in the Fraser Hwy/Granville St style). It's not all done yet, just a first sketch.

Click here to view!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:44 AM
Vancouver Moderator

OH MY GOD WHEN DID YOU DO BRIDGE PLANS HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I don't like Lonsdale Bridge. I can't imagine the traffic just stuck in downtown. What I really want is Lions Gate Bridge left as a pedestrian/transit-only bridge and a six lane tunnel going underground.

Can't do the Cambie Bridge either... we have the Canada Line. You could shift it over and use Main Street & Shell Rd...

Oh yeah what actually happened to the Sepertine Freeway... weren't there plans before to make it so that it's a continuous connection btwn Hwy 99 & Hwy 1?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
^ the bridge was built in 1937. Consider that next time.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize it was built so long ago.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:50 AM

The Lonsdale Bridge is a terrible idea....it would flood the heart of downtown, where all the pedestrian activity is, with car traffic.....not to mention it goes right through Canada Place. :p As deasine said, simply tunnel underneath the Stanley Park causeway for expanded capacity to the North Shore.

Not a fan of the Cambie crossing over the Fraser either....more likely, a new bridge would be built on Sea Island rather than on the main Richmond island.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:54 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
The Lonsdale Bridge is a terrible idea....it would flood the heart of downtown, where all the pedestrian activity is, with car traffic.....not to mention it goes right through Canada Place. :p As deasine said, simply tunnel underneath the Stanley Park causeway for expanded capacity to the North Shore.

Not a fan of the Cambie crossing over the Fraser either....more likely, a new bridge would be built on Sea Island rather than on the main Richmond island.
Oh yeah YVR did want a new bridge for themselves.

I don't understand how Bridgeport and Marine Drive can be more continuous than it is right now. I mean yes there are traffic lights but they are pretty far apart.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Oh yeah YVR did want a new bridge for themselves.

I don't understand how Bridgeport and Marine Drive can be more continuous than it is right now. I mean yes there are traffic lights but they are pretty far apart.
The bridge that moves, whatever those are called, on Sea Island Way could sure use a replacement......and after that, build a new Sea Island/Arthur Laing/Arthur Laing twinning interchange.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 9:04 AM

Tuesday's commuters may face gridlock, TransLink warns

By Kelly Sinoski, Catherine Rolfsen and Gordon Hamilton,
Vancouver Sun

January 20, 2009 12:27 AM

METRO VANCOUVER — Commuters crossing the Fraser River Tuesday morning are urged to carpool or use public transit to avoid expected delays and gridlock as the Pattullo Bridge remains closed.

TransLink expects the commute to be even worse than on Monday because traffic is normally heavier on Tuesday.

TransLink has added extra SkyTrain cars and Coast Mountain buses and will open the George Massey Tunnel counterflow lane 45 minutes earlier than usual to keep traffic flowing.

TransLink CEO Tom Prendergast said even though public transit is running at near capacity now, TransLink may consider fare discounts to get people using buses or SkyTrain and keep cars from choking the tunnel and clogging the Alex Fraser and Port Mann bridges.

Early Monday morning, tunnel traffic was backed up along the King George Highway into south Surrey, while buses on 108th Avenue in Surrey had to be rerouted before they reached Highway 1 because they couldn’t get through, TransLink spokesman Ken Hardie said.

The evening rush also saw long lines snaking into Guildford and along the Alex Fraser and the tunnel. A bicycle ban on SkyTrain remains in effect because of the overcrowding, and police have warned they will be enforcing rules governing HOV-lane use.

“The traffic tie-ups were rather substantial,” Prendergast said, adding that despite extra transit services, people chose to drive to work earlier or later than usual.

“We’re really trying to promote carpooling,” he said. “We need to minimize the number of cars traversing the Fraser River.”

The Pattullo Bridge had to be closed Sunday after a suspicious fire engulfed an 18-metre section of wooden trestle at its south end. The bridge’s 80,000 daily commuters have been diverted to the Port Mann and Alex Fraser bridges, the tunnel and onto public transit.

TransLink says the fire may have been started by homeless people, who were huddled under the trestle and lit a candle to keep warm. The area was blocked by a chainlink fence, but Hardie said “there were signs that people got in.”

Surrey RCMP are still investigating.

The bridge, which connects Surrey and New Westminster, serves about 20 per cent of the commuter traffic across the Fraser River.

It is expected to be closed to all traffic — including pedestrians and cyclists — for at least a month, while TransLink repairs the wooden trestle, at a cost of about $2 million. The money will come out of TransLink’s contingency budget, Prendergast said.

“What we’re really focused on now is getting it done as soon as possible,” he said.

The charred trestle, which contains asbestos and creosote, was demolished Monday. TransLink now plans to scour Metro Vancouver for a prefabricated four-lane chunk of unused bridge that can be cut to size to replace the span.

Prendergast said the bridge repair is complex because the trestle is located on an elevated embankment of soft soil that is sinking. If it can’t find an unused section of bridge, TransLink will have to find the right materials and fabricate them to fit the span. New footings and girdings are also needed.

The trestle, which has been shored up over time to keep it stable, had been slated for replacement within the next five months in a bid to keep the bridge safe and maintained for the next 10 years while a replacement six-lane bridge is built. The design for the new bridge is 85-per-cent complete.

But Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts said the bridge should have already been in place. The situation, she said, underscores the need for more buses, trains and transit in Metro Vancouver’s second-largest city.

The Pattullo, opened in 1937, was the first major commuting route between Surrey and communities to the north and west. Over the years, its narrow lanes and sharply curved approaches have been blamed for numerous head-on collisions.

In 1952, then-provincial highways minister “Flying Phil” Gaglardi said the bridge was almost obsolete. But instead of replacing it, he chose to build the George Massey Tunnel, linking Richmond and Delta.

“It just speaks to the aging infrastructure [in Surrey],” Watts said. “We’ve been asking for the replacement of that bridge for eight to 10 years. This exacerbates the problem which is frustrating commuters already. South of the Fraser infrastructure has been far less than any in the Lower Mainland.”

Watts said depending on the design of the new bridge, both the Pattullo and the new twinned Port Mann Bridge should be dealt with together.

Prendergast said the details are still to be finalized on the location of the new Pattullo, saying only that it will follow the existing corridor. TransLink is calling for tolls on the new bridge, but Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon said that should be a last resort.

Bruce Ralston, New Democrat MLA for Surrey-Whalley, agreed infrastructure in Surrey has lagged in comparison to its rapid growth, whether it be a lack of buses, the long-awaited SkyTrain extension or light rail.

“To be told we have to wait another 10 years for a replacement won’t make a lot of people out here happy,” he said.

Meanwhile, Prendergast said TransLink will look at other bridges and infrastructure in Metro Vancouver to see if they are also in need of repairs or protection.

TransLink owns the wooden Westham Island Bridge leading to the Reifel Bird Sanctuary in Delta, while several rail bridges are also made of wood and coated with creosote to keep them from rotting, Hardie said.

ksinoski@vancouversun.com

ksinoski@vancouversun.com

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 9:39 AM

Quote:
TransLink now plans to scour Metro Vancouver for a prefabricated four-lane chunk of unused bridge that can be cut to size to replace the span.
Yeah, I'm sure that there are lots of them lying around.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 10:11 AM

losing the pattullo is just showing translink at its finest and just how much the truely care about the south of the fraser and surrey area.....

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
Hey you're plowing that road right through where I used to live on Pembina St in Queensborough. How dare you.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 7:08 PM

I think your Willington Bridge is a good idea. It is amazing the Burnaby currently has zero bridges crossing the river. The city of Burnaby seems to be relying on New West and Vancouver for crossings.

Also, as for a third crossing of Burrard Inlet, how about placing the bridge on the north side of SFU (going from Barnet to Deep Cove)?

And yes, i also agree that the Lions gate should become a pedestrian and cyclists bridge (maybe we could even have annual festivals on the bridge!) while being replaced with a six lane tunnel.

PS - I feel that Vancouver's current policy of adding no more lanes entering the city is retarded at best.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure