HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 5:35 PM
Vancouverite

Can't wait to see renders! I wonder what type of retail they'll put, it will only add to the vibe of that part of robson even more! Also maybe a new White Spot flagship to replace the one facing Georgia?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 5:46 PM

Ooh, maybe we can have some more unique restaurants like another Earls or Cactus Club, too.

To me it makes perfect sense why Telus is only building 22 floors office. It's for them, nobody else.

And it's certainly better than a parkade.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 6:02 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Ooh, maybe we can have some more unique restaurants like another Earls or Cactus Club, too.

To me it makes perfect sense why Telus is only building 22 floors office. It's for them, nobody else.

And it's certainly better than a parkade.
Wait maybe Boston Pizza?

I hate Boston Pizza, but they don't have a downtown location I think.
And plus the Keg, Earls, Cactus clubs, Moxies are already close to that location. I would love to see something like Cactus Club Duinsmuir but White Spot.

I have a feeling the building might look like Bentall 5 phase one. Fat and short but still good looking.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 6:04 PM

Question about the site. Not sure if it has been mentioned, but what is the extent of the proposal on this block? Does it include the Telus building? Easypark? Or the entire block?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 6:06 PM

• 520 W Georgia. That address suggests the NE corner of the block, does Telus own the land for the easy park parkade? That lot is ~225' x 125' = 28,125, said to be the location of the 22fl office component while residential is elsewhere on the block (probably SE corner?)
225x125x22= 618,750 sq ft
The SE corner is ~240' long, 240x125=30,000
1mn sq ft total is probably out of range, but in that neighbourhood is possible?
Telus would retain all of its recently upgraded buildings on Seymour, and if built in phases they wouldn't lose any private parking.
• Is there anything behind the timing of this announcement, related to Pattison's? If everyone is surprised to see it mentioned early, maybe the city is behind the leak? It does seem like a swing in momentum towards office space with the current mix of projects, to be just explained by market factors
• The real gem of the area will be the redevelopment of the Canada Post building right across from the Library, but if the new Telus office space is large enough to actually consolidate jobs from other provinces, that new foot traffic will change the area in its own right.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 6:07 PM

Short and fat, or, it could be only "technically" 22 floors like the 272m NTT DoCoMo Building in Tokyo is technically only 27 floors and doubles as their HQ + a cell tower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTT_Docomo_Yoyogi_Building

That would be unlike anything we've ever seen before! Though, I'm guessing he just means it's a different shade of sea foam green.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 7:39 PM
recession proof

Here's what I think it'll be: 22 floors of offices covering entire site; residential tower on top of half the office building.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golog View Post
The viewcone limit is around 450', but since it's in the CBD the height limit can be increased to 600' at Council's discretion.
NOPE.

The Higher Buildings Policy is subject to the View Cones Policy.
i.e. The view cones policy trumps the higher buildings policy.
The higher buildings policy only pays lip service to the concept of 600ft tall buildings in all areas that have view cones. The only relaxation of the view cones policy has arisen recently towers allowed to piece the Queen Elizabeth Park view cone.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 11:52 PM

Wow, 3 pages of posts and it hasn't even been 24hrs since this thread was created.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 11:54 PM

officedweller
thanks for correcting me on 'higher buildings' vs 'viewcones', I did not know better and thought the height policy was integrated.

I'm coming around to the idea of a 22fl office portion too. Looking at the podiums around downtown and 22fl is enough to be imposing from street level. I wonder what architectural features will show up in the building, it should have some gimmick based on the article. A curvy curtain, an air gap between floors, outdoor boardroom on a garden roof?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 12:31 AM

Yeah, that's the dumbest aspect of the two policies - especially when the view cones cover practically all of the core. That's why the higher buildings sites pop up in the oddest places (Pattison; Granville Loops)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golog View Post
I wonder what architectural features will show up in the building, it should have some gimmick based on the article. A curvy curtain, an air gap between floors, outdoor boardroom on a garden roof?
You got it, sort of. Renders based on a massing model from a "reliable source"

Richards St view

Georgia St view

Apparently the green strategy is to tilt all the southwest/southeast faces inward for less solar gain, while doing the opposite for the northeast/northwest facades...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:32 AM
Reason and Freedom

Oh God. Why?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:37 AM

Certainly a unique design. But the imagery dates are from as early as April, 2008. That's over 2 1/2 years ago. Has this proposal been hidden behind the scenes for that long? Or has it been altered since?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:41 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

It's interesting, but I hope they can come up with something better, it looks like a bunch of equipment in a rack about to fall over.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:43 AM

The office tower still has a fairly small floorplate size.

Looks like high tech - from the 1980s

Think drawings of Concord Pacific's initial office district where Spectrum and Rogers Arena are now located.
What's with the stacked towers?

Compare:

http://www.thehulbertgroup.com/conco...ific_place.php

http://www.dysarchitecture.com/_file...ific_place.pdf

Sadly, the V-struts on the office tower remind me of the wimpy V-struts on the VanCity Tower @ Main Street.

http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/Im...entre-002a.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Apparently the green strategy is to tilt all the southwest/southeast faces inward for less solar gain, while doing the opposite for the northeast/northwest facades...
However, they have the west facade angled back. I can tell you that during the summer, the west facade (ie. facing the alley and Seymour) will heat up a lot! - it does in TD Tower, but still not as much as the south side, which they have as vertical in that rendering.

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 9, 2010 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 5:10 AM

lol I refuse to believe that is it. It can't possibly conceivably be.....

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 5:13 AM

I wish some of those had been built instead of the redundant crap that is usually built nowadays

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It's interesting, but I hope they can come up with something better, it looks like a bunch of equipment in a rack about to fall over.
I was thinking the same, from a few angles it looks like it is in the process of falling over.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 6:05 AM

I LOVE IT!

We finally have something RADICALLY different from the Vancouver-norm. If this really is the design, I'm almost certain that the up-to-date/higher quality renderings to be released later this week will be absolutely fabulous. It's BOLD, it has attitude and that's a variety this city severely lacks with its buildings.

If this gets shot down, it'll be yet another statement to architects that they should just stay within the Vancouver cookie-cutter/functional norm.

http://www.hongkonghustle.com/local-...ure-hong-kong/

http://www.high-rise.architectureandplanning.org/?p=43

http://isi2008.cpu.edu.tw/isi2008/10.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver