HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 2:22 AM

Smile

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
WOW! Thanks very much for all of that!

Quite comprehensive, informative, fascinating, and no doubt incredibly time-consuming to put together.
LOL yep! Nothing like compiling all this info at 6 in the morning when I'm about half tired and thinking I can just get it done in ten minutes LOL....

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 12:00 PM

Can I also add amazing, entertaining, and educational too! That was great shadowbat2! I especially got a "kick" reading the signs..makes one weight conscious! 800 lbs or 4 people? As we all look down at our beer gut! lol
Again..that was very time consuming, and you deserve an award (of some kind!) That's the best I can do with these little icon faces Bravo!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 1:02 PM

Smile Stuff we know already but still nice to hear....

http://www.centercityphila.org/press...ents040114.php

Quote:
East Market Project to Begin This Summer
NREA Development Services, SSH Real Estate, Classic Management, Inc., and JOSS Realty Partners, LLC have teamed up to develop the $230 million first stage of East Market, a mixed-use development for the 1100 block of Market Street, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported on March 20.

The plans call for leveling the entire block, beginning this summer, in order to build two new retail buildings topped with apartments. Later, existing buildings south of Market will be renovated.

Retail stores are planned for the first floor of the nearby 12-story Girard office building, with the upper floors upgraded for office, hotel, or apartments, the article noted.

The development would help create an important connection between Independence National Historic Park and the Pennsylvania Convention Center. The entire project is estimated at $500 million and the architect is BLT.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 3:33 AM

Stores are starting to shut down....

Taken Sunday morning:

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 3:09 PM

So what are the odds that this thing gets done? Gimbels got torn down expecting big things and years later all there is to show for it is a parking lot and the exposed back of a building on a corner of the block.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post
So what are the odds that this thing gets done? Gimbels got torn down expecting big things and years later all there is to show for it is a parking lot and the exposed back of a building on a corner of the block.
I would assume pretty good since the developer has a good track record of getting things done (2116 Chestnut for example) and they already have full financing for the project.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post
I mean, I'd rather have a hole in the ground than those horrible squat 2-story embarrassments to urbanity, but that's just me.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:26 PM

I just shit my pants.

At a cost of $230 Million, first phase of East Market about to get under way

First phase is a slight dissapointment but a HUGE improvement over what is there. First phase will include multiple floor retail and a 17 story apartment tower. The Family Court building will be modified to accompidate retail and office space. Future phases will include three larger towers

Quote:
Demolition of what many know as Girard Square in Center City will begin this summer and construction of a new development called East Market will begin in earnest.

The 4.3-acre site takes up an entire city block bound by Market, Chestnut, 11 th and 12 th streets. The building fronting Market Street will be taken down and the first phase will rise in its place. It will total $230 million and encompass 650,000 square feet.

That initial phase will include constructing a 17-story tower that will have the first two levels dedicated to 160,000 square feet of retail space and the remainder an apartment structure with 322 units. It will also involve renovating the 200,000-square-foot family court building and preparing that for retail space on the street level and office space above.

At build out the project will cost an estimated $500 million and total 2 million square feet.
I will pull renderings after work.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...to.html?page=2
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...t-east-to.html

Last edited by summersm343; May 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:22 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I just shit my pants.

At a cost of $230 Million, first phase of East Market about to get under way

First phase is a slight dissapointment but a HUGE improvement over what is there.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...to.html?page=2
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...t-east-to.html
100% agreed, i would have liked to see a little more with phase 1 but it gets the ball rolling.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:34 PM
Corporate logo

Further reading provided by Joseph DiStefano and the DN.

Developers of East Market unveil plans

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...eil_plans.html

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:53 AM

I am excited the action is actually taking place on Market East instead if talk and planning. Props for this going through and to Preit for kicking it all off.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I am excited the action is actually taking place on Market East instead if talk and planning. Props for this going through and to Preit for kicking it all off.
This project has absolutely nothing to do with PREIT, other than the fact that due to PREIT's inaction, East Market may actually cannibalize potential tenants from the Gallery.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
This project has absolutely nothing to do with PREIT, other than the fact that due to PREIT's inaction, East Market may actually cannibalize potential tenants from the Gallery.
My comment was not to associate the projects in the scale one has something to do with the other, but to point out Preit has taken action and East Market will have multiple projects going at once.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:26 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I dunno, cannibalization happens in declining areas. So when the Gallery was first built it cannibalized everything else on Market East--hence why the parking lots and lopped-off façades on the south side.

But in a growing area, there's more pie to go around, which means that--unless you're offering truly wretched space--you'll be able to find tenants.

I'm optimistic. I think Market East has hit its low-water mark.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:09 PM

renderings

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:25 PM

Another article on this from Naked Philly

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...et-east-around

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 10:23 PM

^^

Did shirt corner move? I don't know, It looks a bit busy, and I'm not quite getting the residential part mixed in with the busy shopping part. I wouldn't want to live in the high rises, (because of the noise) I'm not trying to be like the woman with the "wind" issue, it's just a new concept to me. On Market St.? Although back in the 80's Abbott Square on South St was built, and you can't get any noisier than that. I suppose I'm old fashion. Give me a home with a pickett fence, and 2 cats in the backyard. (Isn't there a song about that? lol)

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 2:02 AM

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:11 PM

From the Center City District Report today:

Quote:
East Market Development to Begin in Summer
Work on the $230 million, 650,000-square-foot first phase of the development of East Market, which will span 4.3 acres and occupy the entire block bound by Market, Chestnut, 11th and 12th Streets, will begin this summer, the Philadelphia Business Journalreported.

After demolition of the original Snellenberg’s department store parcel on Market Street, a 17-story tower with 160,000 square feet of retail and 322 apartments will be constructed. The 200,000-square-foot building to the south, which is currently occupied by Family Court, will be renovated and offer retail space on the street level and offices above, the article noted.

National Real Estate Development, Joss Realty Partners, Young Capital, and SSH Real Estate are partners in the project. The expected completion date was not announced.
http://centercityphila.org/pressroom/ccnews052814.php

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:24 AM

Most of the Girard Square shops are nearly empty, selling off all their stuff. Really cool article here that big change is coming to Center City fast.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...e-on-fire.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive