HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'll be there to take a look!
In Vancouver for work or holidays? Either way I am jealous. If you have a camera handy please take some pictures

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 12:09 AM

Please tell James Cheng that we love him and adore the signature touches in all his designs.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 12:14 AM

Jim's a really nice guy so I probably will.

Metro, I've been flying back and forth so often and we have so much work coming up out west that I'm being positioned in Vancouver part time now.

Needless to say I'm ecstatic!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 2:20 AM

Count me in too

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'll be there to take a look!
Both I and my better half are planning to be there as well. Just look out for the people in bird suits taking pictures of the building model

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:49 AM

I am going to be "that guy" this time, sorry for those clicking this thread in excitement.

It is a slow day at work today, so I must ask, did anyone go and take some nice glamour shots of the model??

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:49 AM

Tomorrow is only a day away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I am going to be "that guy" this time, sorry for those clicking this thread in excitement.

It is a slow day at work today, so I must ask, did anyone go and take some nice glamour shots of the model??
I made it down there today, I should be able to get some photos and info up by the evening of tomorrow.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 12:21 PM

Very appreciated This is a tall tower at a very key location. Very excited to see!

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:24 PM

Really excited about this tower. It's tall and sleek with shiny glass, and will definitely make a stark contrast with the messy condos all around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:27 AM

1445-1455 W Georgia Open House photos

My Photos - May 1st

Not surprisingly there wasn't a lot of info I could glean, given the "play it safe" reputation of the team involved.

For the building the materials, the cladding on the concrete portion is going to be an (as of yet) unspecified grey stone. Meanwhile, the glazing will be silver tinted with a degree of reflectiveness. Just how reflective it will be is still being decided. However, I was given the impression that, to avoid the potential upset of nearby neighbours, the answer will be "not very."
Illumination is being discussed for the under-portion of the building that will hang over the "urban room". To this end, they have hired a lighting consultant and spoke of a report on the application page- darned if I could find it though. As to whether there will be a lighting feature in a more prominent area of the building, I was given the impression that this was unlikely.
Given the size/shape of the lot, the parking garage will be very tight, with most of the space will be taken up by the ramps themselves.

One interesting tidbit is that the team wants to pool their site's CAC with the nearby Jenga and Cardero Towers to create a "significant" public art piece on the existing flag plaza between Pender and Georgia. I had meant to ask if these other development teams had been approached/ were open to the idea, but it slipped my mind.
On a somewhat silly note, one of the boards made note that the units will sport "healthy materials and finishes." When I asked what this meant, I was told they would try to stay from materials that create toxins and poisons in the air (like materials that contain formaldehyde). When pressed further as to what those material might specifically be, I was told, essentially, that they don't have a clue yet.

Because they irk me with how arbitrary they are, and because I know members on here would demand it, I asked the team if they felt the view cones had limited what they could achieve with the site. As expected, they gave a cookie-cutter response that they were content with the view cones and what they bring to the city. They even went as far as to say they feel the building would not have turned out as well as it had without the view cones. In short, they know how to work the PR with the more conservative members of city staff.

That said, I really like the project; it should really add to the wow factor that intersection will have. While it's made great use of an awkward site, I really feel it's potential has been somewhat wasted by the senseless Granville Street Bridge Viewcones. By the time left at around 7pm there had been about 75 people through the doors. On a unrelated note, the hors d'oeuvres that were provided really were quite good. They beat the heck of usual open house cuisine.

More Renderings
http://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applica...2017-05-01.pdf

http://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applica...rgia/index.htm

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:39 AM

Thanks for the pics!

This reminds me of Ten York which is u/c in Toronto.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Not surprisingly there wasn't a lot of info I could glean, given the "play it safe" reputation of the team involved.

For the building the materials, the cladding on the concrete portion is going to be an (as of yet) unspecified grey stone. Meanwhile, the glazing will be silver tinted with a degree of reflectiveness. Just how reflective it will be is still being decided. However, I was given the impression that, to avoid the potential upset of nearby neighbours, the answer will be "not very."
Illumination is being discussed for the under-portion of the building that will hang over the "urban room". To this end, they have hired a lighting consultant and spoke of a report on the application page- darned if I could find it though. As to whether there will be a lighting feature in a more prominent area of the building, I was given the impression that this was unlikely.
Given the size/shape of the lot, the parking garage will be very tight, with most of the space will be taken up by the ramps themselves.

One interesting tidbit is that the team wants to pool their site's CAC with the nearby Jenga and Cardero Towers to create a "significant" public art piece on the existing flag plaza between Pender and Georgia. I had meant to ask if these other development teams had been approached/ were open to the idea, but it slipped my mind.
On a somewhat silly note, one of the boards made note that the units will sport "healthy materials and finishes." When I asked what this meant, I was told they would try to stay from materials that create toxins and poisons in the air (like materials that contain formaldehyde). When pressed further as to what those material might specifically be, I was told, essentially, that they don't have a clue yet.

Because they irk me with how arbitrary they are, and because I know members on here would demand it, I asked the team if they felt the view cones had limited what they could achieve with the site. As expected, they gave a cookie-cutter response that they were content with the view cones and what they bring to the city. They even went as far as to say they feel the building would not have turned out as well as it had without the view cones. In short, they know how to work the PR with the more conservative members of city staff.

That said, I really like the project; it should really add to the wow factor that intersection will have. While it's made great use of an awkward site, I really feel it's potential has been somewhat wasted by the senseless Granville Street Bridge Viewcones. By the time left at around 7pm there had been about 75 people through the doors. On a unrelated note, the hors d'oeuvres that were provided really were quite good. They beat the heck of usual open house cuisine.
Free food? Not too shabby. Open bar and I'm there.

I thought the building was going to have exposed concrete, but good to hear it will be cladded over with a higher grade material. Silver tinted glass too? This is too good to be true.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:36 PM

I made it to the open house as well and voiced my support. My only concern was for the 8 foot transfer slab that looked like it needed some more thought.

My favourite surprise was how large the porte-cochère is going to be, it should be a very impressive space:

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 7:41 PM

Looks great, thanks for the pics.

Too bad about the flag plaza.
Those were installed in 1967 for Canada's Centennary
- a bit of shame they are being removed on Canada's 150th.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:05 AM

Thanks for the pics guys, looks great!

Really like this project overall.

Just a couple comments:

Would it kill the city / the developer to plant more varieties of trees / shrubs?

Also, why does the flag plaza need to be removed? Looks like they are not removing the tree?

Also, you guys are going to kill me, but that wedge is also a good spot for a couple windmill palms... or something different in regards to landscaping / flora.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:38 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm liking this more now that we've seen the model. Thanks for the pics, guys!

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:57 AM

I don't like the driveway off of pended. Not nescessary at all and makes the whole thing look a bit suburban.

And I agree it's too bad they are removing the flag poles. It would've been nice to redo it and make them more prominent (properly lit up at night) and I'd take out the tree at the corner so you can actually better see the flag poles as one comes up Georgia

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I don't like the driveway off of pended. Not nescessary at all and makes the whole thing look a bit suburban.

And I agree it's too bad they are removing the flag poles. It would've been nice to redo it and make them more prominent (properly lit up at night) and I'd take out the tree at the corner so you can actually better see the flag poles as one comes up Georgia
we have an aversion to flags in this city for whatever reason. look at georgia, city hall, granville bridge, etc. all the old routes. you'll see all the old flag holders that haven't been used in forever.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 10:27 PM

At that location, pick-up and drop-off and moving/deliveries - especially at rush hour and busy times - would be impossible without the driveway area.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
At that location, pick-up and drop-off and moving/deliveries - especially at rush hour and busy times - would be impossible without the driveway area.
Curb side lane on pender would be more than fine for that. Especially since they are extending the sidewalk out causing the curb lane no longer being continuous from Georgia. I guess they won't be having 2 lanes veering off to pender in the am rush hour anymore?

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 10:48 PM

The City will probably put a bike station there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver