Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Legacy at Millennium Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery
Go ahead Steely, you can say the name of the company, as blasphemous as that may be to some of the people here.
Yes, Walsh did a wonderfull job on the Heritage. The Wabash facades likley haven't looked that good in 70 years, and it really brightened up that section of the street. I expect this tower to be even more successful because of its mid-block location which will really hide it from the street. Wabash will keep its character and the skyline recives another landmark. What I think is even more remarkable is how Wabash has become a hot spot for new luxury condos, who thought that was even possibile just 15 years ago?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 2:08 PM

Old Posted Jul 29, 2006, 9:21 PM
THAT Guy

Looks like an update

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 1:14 PM

Work has begun on the site. I noticed on the train this morning that facade work has started on the facades of the 3 historic buildings.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 4:45 PM

Smile

Received an email from Legacy sales center the other day announcing that the barricades were up, construction has begun and sales are ahead of schedule.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 8:32 PM

So construction has officially begun? or no?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 8:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin00
So construction has officially begun? or no?
it depends on what you consider "under construction" to mean.

if by "under construction" you mean that there are dudes working on the site doing something, then yes.

but if you're going by emporis' more stringent definiton of "under construction" (ie. foundation work of some sort), then no.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 2:20 AM
Chicago

August 8, 2006 - They're starting to remove the windows and portions of the facade. It's hard to get a good shot with the El in the way.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 2:29 AM

I heard caissons for the "facadectomy" structure will be starting soon. Maybe as soon as all those windows come out.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 4:26 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery
I heard caissons for the "facadectomy" structure will be starting soon. Maybe as soon as all those windows come out.
It's gonna be a while perhaps, because they have to remove the whole facade, piece by piece before any type of new construction can begin. The Center on Halsted is a good example of this: even though it's only 3 stories, it's worth mentioning. The new building will utilize the old facade of an existing building which fronted Halsted for many years, but I remember a year or two ago, that construction seemed to be lagging for so long, until I realized that in order for them to re-introduce the previous facade (which consists of beautiful color glazed terra-cotta tile from the 20-30?), it first had to removed completely, then allow for pouring the new concrete garage (two levels), first floor, second floor, etc. THEN the existing facade will go back into place, but even then, only after the exterior wall is framed. It's too delicate to be inserted anytime before that, and potentially with the existing portion of the Legacy there is a lot more work involved. PHEW! That was long, sorry

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 5:16 AM

I pass by this site from time to time and today it was clear that they're removing the "crappy" facade first and can only presume that they will be looking at the structural integrity of the underlying material to determine the best way to proceed with restoration of the "salvagable" bits. . .

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 12:45 PM

sentinel, I'm referring only to the caissons which will support the structure that will support the facade, not the caissons for the building itself. They are not using the same process that you describe in your post to save this facade. Walsh is using the same system that was used to save the facades at "The Heritage". The process goes something like this:

1. drill caissons for "facade saver" structure

2. erect "facade saver" structure

3. tie-in to existing facade, supporting all window and door openings, as well as columns.

4. start demo'

Some of the pieces will inevitably have to be replicated, however, over 90% of the structure remains intact.

on edit: sorry, guess I shouldn't link to those pictures. For those that missed them, there were two photos of "The Heritage at Millenium Park" during the very early construction phases. Pic # 1 was erecting the structure and pic # 2 was showing the actual tie-ins to the building's facade.

Last edited by kayosthery; Aug 9, 2006 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 4:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^^Yeah, that is a pretty different system, nevermind. But what they're doing on the Legacy sounds pretty intriguing though. (can't seem to see your photos).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 11:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

this will be one slick building, towering over the park.

here's a rendering spyguy posted over at SSC. i haven't seen this angle before.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 12:44 AM

I really love this building...the only thing i dont understand is why they are building it with the thin side faceing the lake...never quite got that...you would think they would have the wide part of the building face the lake to maximize those views? Plus i think it would look better on the skyline panarame that way too.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 1:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111
I really love this building...the only thing i dont understand is why they are building it with the thin side faceing the lake...never quite got that...you would think they would have the wide part of the building face the lake to maximize those views? Plus i think it would look better on the skyline panarame that way too.
Actually 3 of 4 sides, north, east, south, all have lake views. Rather innovative design I would say. This is a well thought out building when it comes to views.

http://www.heritagecondo.com/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 1:24 AM
Chaos Machine

If they put the wide side facing the park, 50% of the units would have no view of the lake. This way, pretty much everyone can see both the lake and the city, albeit from an angle (the lake). Also, the South (at least) face is at a slight angle. The building is not a rectangle, but a slight trapezoid I believe. It may only be the South face, actually.. which makes sense, so as to have the units slightly look away from 55 E Monroe

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 1:34 AM
None...

And another from the Legacy website

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 1:41 AM
Chaos Machine

Was looking at the views on the website... man the upper floors of this building have the some of the best residential views in the city. This tower simply kicks ass. Nice slick glassy design, interesting shape/site configuring, it is fixing up what was a kind of not that great block along wabash, kickass location right next to an el station, and is along a park where the buildings around it sit on always valuable land.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 12:12 PM

It reminds me of the hancock tower in Boston.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture