HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:18 AM

^ Interesting. Is she a purely isolated and strange case, or a somewhat representative sample of a certain type of baby-boomer mindset shift taking place these days?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:22 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I have no idea.

But, in my experience, people tend to be set in their ways about that.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:32 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

My only hope for Newfoundland is that if they do become independent they stay a commonwealth realm. There's too many republics out there these days.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:37 AM

I would really hope that if they gain back their independence, they'll revert to driving on the wrong side of the road. That would be a nice addition to the exotism of the place -- not that it's lacking on that front at the moment from a Canadian POV.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:49 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Beedok: I'm sure we would. "Republic of Newfoundland" is the phrasing here - that's what you'll see on all the hats, t-shirts, etc. But I don't believe anyone wants a President, a Republic, etc. They'd want the Commonwealth style, probably moreso than most current Commonwealth countries.

Lio45: It'd never happen, but yeah. I'd love that too. The city is built for it.

1945:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:33 PM

The Torontonian's map of the known world.

http://imgur.com/r/toronto/KQzBMoG

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:38 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The Torontonian's map of the known world.

http://imgur.com/r/toronto/KQzBMoG

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 1:53 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:23 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Hamilton, etc. etc. not among top five places to live in new poll. Three cities too expensive to live in make list.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle20106371/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Hamilton, etc. etc. not among top five places to live in new poll. Three cities too expensive to live in make list.

I wonder where Montreal was on the list?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Probably nowhere remotely near the top. The Economist has never been a fan of Quebec.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:43 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post

Please, those darn foreign types obviously made the mistake of counting Hamilton as part of Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:52 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Probably nowhere remotely near the top. The Economist has never been a fan of Quebec.
I am a 25 year veteran reader of the Economist. Subscriber for almost that long. I love the magazine. Fucking Miles (light years? parsecs?) above Time, McLean's, Newsweek.

Sure as shit on a shingle, though, the Economist has a bit of a bias when reporting on all things French. Mostly France, but anywhere that French has history. It is often very subtle. (It is often not entirely incorrect...I'll be damned if stereotypes didn't have a kernel of truth). But it is there. Always there.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:59 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am a 25 year veteran reader of the Economist. Subscriber for almost that long. I love the magazine. Fucking Miles (light years? parsecs?) above Time, McLean's, Newsweek.

Sure as shit on a shingle, though, the Economist has a bit of a bias when reporting on all things French. Mostly France, but anywhere that French has history. It is often very subtle. (It is often not entirely incorrect...I'll be damned if stereotypes didn't have a kernel of truth). But it is there. Always there.
It is an excellent publication it is true but like any such publication it has its biases. The Economist is extremely fond and satisfied with the Anglo-American economic and societal model in particular. The Anglosphere countries tend to get a lot of love as do those places who often follow similar or at least compatible imperatives like Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:35 AM

The Economist is a good read but you have to take any opinions they make with a grain of salt.

The Economist is VERY biased towards English speaking countries {although it certainly displays a certain distain for all of Canada} and very anti-French and anti-Europe.
The Economist, like Americans and the British themselves. also has never seen a war it didn't like.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
In 2011 (can't find more recent info), Montréal was in position 16, ex aequo with Paris (yeah Paris, what a surprise...). The ranking barely change at each years so probably around the same position this year.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/na...-economist.php

Interesting...

The Economist has been criticised by the New York Times for being overly anglocentric, stating that "The Economist clearly equates livability with speaking English."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/op...obal-home&_r=0

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:45 AM
ARTchitecture

When I showed my partner the rankings, he said out loud "Wow, I can't believe there are no Scandinavian cities on the list".. I hadn't thought about it but... yeah it feels like there should be some. Are Scandinavian nations not all ranked consistently in the top 10 HDI countries in the world? For the last probably 2 decades or so.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:49 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
In 2011 (can't find more recent info), Montréal was in position 16, ex aequo with Paris (yeah Paris, what a surprise...). The ranking barely change at each years so probably around the same position this year.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/na...-economist.php

Interesting...

The Economist has been criticised by the New York Times for being overly anglocentric, stating that "The Economist clearly equates livability with speaking English."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/op...obal-home&_r=0
Yeah, and The Economist is not the only one. A lot of these lists are biased towards English-speaking places or non-anglo places perceived as English-friendly (Scandinavia for example).

I've often joked about this and how it's probably because the trophy wives of expat execs don't like navigating the local supermarket in another language, or having to do the same with the hired help around the house.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
When I showed my partner the rankings, he said out loud "Wow, I can't believe there are no Scandinavian cities on the list".. I hadn't thought about it but... yeah it feels like there should be some. Are Scandinavian nations not all ranked consistently in the top 10 HDI countries in the world? For the last probably 2 decades or so.
Helsinki?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:51 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
Helsinki?
Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. It is part of the larger Finno-Scandia region. They have a history far more tied to Russian and Baltic tradition than to Scandinavian.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada