HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Nobody expects that you won't take any fees. Generally, its appropriate to take fees as project benchmarks are met. Not completely upfront, which actually becomes detrimental to the project. And I'm not the only person to note this. The analyst said the same thing when he remarked that of 100% of the offering, only 36.9% is actually capital to the project where the rest is just fees that aren't tied to any sort of progression.

Simplicity is offering a very detailed and perhaps accurate take on the project.

He is not being rude or vulgar but rather offering an exacting and intimate take on the paperwork and offering.

I see no reason for his perspective to be suspended in this case.

How many parking stalls are in that lot any way? What would a 176 stall lot in the immediate vicinity now be worth based on this 9.5M number?

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:27 PM
perspicacity 24/7

^ I really appreciate Simplicity's take on things. I learned a lot from that forumer's postings on this thread... there will be less value to it without that added insight.

For that matter, I also appreciate bmyers addressing the questions being raised. Let's keep the conversation going.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I really appreciate Simplicity's take on things. I learned a lot from that forumer's postings on this thread... there will be less value to it without that added insight.

For that matter, I also appreciate bmyers addressing the questions being raised. Let's keep the conversation going.
I have to agree. I think the conversation is valuable for the most part (name-calling notwithstanding). I don't think we should shut it down entirely because it's overly negative or because it questions the viability of the project. I have also read the analyst's report, and it left me with a number of similar questions. I am very interested in hearing bmyers' responses. As long as the tone is respectful, I think the dialogue should happen.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:09 PM

To be perfectly honest I would of outright banned 'simplemind a longtime ago. Every thread derails into a fucking gongshow. It is a bit ridiculous and turns off more members than it attracts

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I think the moderator needs to be replaced. Every time someone pens something the moderator does not understand he bans them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
To be perfectly honest I would of outright banned 'simplemind a longtime ago. Every thread derails into a fucking gongshow. It is a bit ridiculous and turns off more members than it attracts
Ridiculous to ask legitimate questions, really?

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:24 PM
ツ 孫子兵

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:25 PM
ツ 孫子兵

Moderation on any blog or forum in regards to any posters comments is a difficult volunteer position. It is not easy in any circumstance as many conditions and factors come into play.

In this case I find the decision made fair, after taking into consideration what has transpired in the past, (re-read skycity thread, development..etc.) and form your own conclusion. Making sarcastic comments about a moderators decision making ability does not help the case when individuals are suggesting a moderator be replaced.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I think the moderator needs to be replaced. Every time someone pens something the moderator does not understand he bans them.

Ridiculous to ask legitimate questions, really?
It's all fair and game to ask questions. But internet forum protocol maintains that some civility and order be involved as this makes the forum open and inclusive to all. Asking questions and just being a general asshat and derailing every thread is the exact opposite.

Simplicity's best soapbox would be to start a blog and feel free to rant away there. I would even read it when I want to and have the time. But every fucking thread does not have to turn into some diatribe on his part. A little organization and discipline goes a long way to making forums open and participatory to all. It doesn't mean you have to agree but this is a platform open to all and it has gotten a little tedious over the last few months.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:45 PM

Since we're all apparently weighing in on this, here's my two cents....

I welcome dialogue, and appreciate the fact that a representative from the development firm is willing to take the time to answer our questions. He has no obligation to do so and we're obviously not entitled to any more information than the general public. I also appreciate Simplicity's viewpoints and welcome all opinions, 'cause that's kinda the point of having a forum.

At the same time I have been growing increasingly irritated and downright embarrassed for fellow forum members as this thread has devolved into a bitter tirade. Having valid opinions and sharing them is appreciated, whether you're "for" a project or "against" it (or just think it's unrealistic, etc.). But I feel that Simplicity's posts were becoming increasingly antagonistic, abrasive, and downright insulting and RUDE. This condescending, self - aggrandizing bullshit becomes a tired gig pretty damn quick, and I'm happy to finally see an end to it.

Simplicity had several chances to migrate towards a more respectful tone and declined to do so. By the end of the aggressive, entitled, self - important novella he posted I couldn't care less if all of his viewpoints were sound and brilliant or not. He was condescending and rude to bmyers - in a similar vein of maturity as that which he displayed during an argument with T.V. recently - and I'm glad to see him gone. Good riddance.

I applaud the decision to suspend him. I'm finally interested in following this forum again.

So thanks, Moderators, for keeping the peace.

Oh, and a shout out to bmyers: if your project is solid and above board I wish you folks the best of luck. If it turns out to be the travesty Simplicity suggests it will be, then I will join the ranks of a lot of very disappointed local folks. Either way, I do commend you for summoning the patience I surely never could, and for sticking with this thread thus far.

Last edited by BrickJunkie; Yesterday at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:41 PM

I have worked in the granite industry for a few years now, and from what I understand different stones are generally classified in categories such as "exotic" and "gold," etc., and the prices generally climb higher and higher as the stone either comes from a further source (with the exception of China, which generally has inexpensive and poorer quality stone) or as the stones comes from a region typically associated with good granite, such as Italy or Turkey. There is a very wide range in prices.

I hope you enjoy your new kitchen, Riverman. Also, I think you were wise to get a natural product as opposed to a fabricated one such as Caesarstone or QuartzForm. The stuff you get will last your lifetime. Sorry for the geeky rant and further thread derailment!

EDIT: P.S. - Your granite will be installed in your home already sealed, and if you simply spray on sealer and wipe it with a paper towel once every couple of years it won't absorb anything, unlike the manmade / fabricated products.

Old Posted Today, 12:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yo arnt u from bricklink?

Old Posted Today, 2:30 AM
gooby pls

Thank goodness.

I'll echo the sentiments that's going on here. We all have opinions, and questions on what goes on in our city, with various projects, urban issues, and opinions and various aspects of our city. This forum provided information, and insight on many things that I've seen and heard here for the near 11 years that I've been a member of this forum. I've seen some great posters, and I've also seen not so great posters.

In my younger days here, I've had my opinions, and maybe had an outburst from time to time, but I've been also put into my own place by other posters here to, who through hindsight, were actual experts in their respective fields, whether they're architects, engineers, or just enthusiasts in general.

For the one user in question, in this case, Simplicity, he has to realize who he is talking to in the forums. Yes, he is welcome to voice his opinions, and ask questions on various things around here, but what he's been doing is obviously unacceptable. Of course, that's where our resident forum moderators come in and mitigate such issues.

I seriously hope he cools down his jets.

Old Posted Today, 4:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

dont get me wrong i like dialog just trolling and rudenes gets tiring im trying to have open discussion its a hard line to walk

Old Posted Today, 12:11 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickJunkie View Post
I have worked in the granite industry for a few years now, and from what I understand different stones are generally classified in categories such as "exotic" and "gold," etc., and the prices generally climb higher and higher as the stone either comes from a further source (with the exception of China, which generally has inexpensive and poorer quality stone) or as the stones comes from a region typically associated with good granite, such as Italy or Turkey. There is a very wide range in prices.

I hope you enjoy your new kitchen, Riverman. Also, I think you were wise to get a natural product as opposed to a fabricated one such as Caesarstone or QuartzForm. The stuff you get will last your lifetime. Sorry for the geeky rant and further thread derailment!

EDIT: P.S. - Your granite will be installed in your home already sealed, and if you simply spray on sealer and wipe it with a paper towel once every couple of years it won't absorb anything, unlike the manmade / fabricated products.
Thanks for this.

We were going to go with a man-made product as we have a small space and quartz does have a better selection of light coloured countertops. Then I made the mistake of looking at the Mesabi black granite. Wow!

We had to change the colour combination to go with the black stone but I know it will worth it. I had educated myself about the myths regarding sealing before making the decision to go with natural stone.

Old Posted Today, 2:12 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

I have a man made quartz counter top and it still looks great after 5 years of use.

Old Posted Today, 2:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I have a man made quartz counter top and it still looks great after 5 years of use.
Certainly nothing wrong with the quartz product, my decision was purely based on aesthetics. Prices are similar, quartz was a hair more.

Old Posted Today, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Certainly nothing wrong with the quartz product, my decision was purely based on aesthetics. Prices are similar, quartz was a hair more.
Our new condo came with quartz in the kitchen (boring - but sturdy, I can live with it) and shitty laminate in the bathroom. That had to go immediately and we're having a granite top (bianco antico) installed this week.

I would give my left nut for soapstone throughout though. I f*cking love that stuff.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan