HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 10:17 AM

Reports of UFOs over B.C. skies hover into The Sun

Reports of UFOs over B.C. skies hover into The Sun

To see images of last weeks UFO incident, click here.

VANCOUVER — Reports of unidentified flying objects over B.C. skies this summer are out of this world.

The accounts have been pouring in to The Vancouver Sun after we published a story about an apparent UFO hovering over Cultus Lake in Chilliwack on Tuesday night.

The story broke on The Fox's Jeff O'Neil Show on Wednesday morning during their Open Phones segment.

'Dallas' called into the show to report that his girlfriend spotted some eerie lights flooding the pitch-black sky [insert Twilight Zone music here].

"At around 2 a.m., she saw some crazy-ass lights hovering over the lake," Captain Scotty of the Jeff O'Neil Show recalled to The Sun.

Then, the radio show received a text from 'Wally' in Chilliwack, saying he also saw the lights Tuesday night.

Since posting this article to the Sun's website, further reports have been coming in about sightings.

Alick e-mailed us to say he snapped photos of the "really bright object."

"I thought I noticed something odd with a really bright object in the eastern south sky towards Chilliwack," said Alick. "I thought at first it was a star or satellite but it was way too big and way too bright and it moved too fast and steady to be a helicopter spotlight."

Read the comments of the sightings below and use the comment section below to recount your own experiences.

To see images of last weeks UFO incident, click here.

RECENT UFO SIGHTINGS

* Manon Lalonde of Leamington, Ont. write in on Sunday evening to talk about a sighting in Ontario: "I saw a UFO on August 17th, 2010, in my home town of Leamington, at around 9.00pm.

I was sitting outside, to catch a bit of fresh air, and when I looked up, I saw this very bright light coming from North-west to South East from a distance. From there, I could only see the light, and it was bright white light.

It was so bright and I was kind of amazed by it, so I told another person to come out and check it out with me.

We kept looking at it, and it was going slowly but steady towards us.

Then when it was right above our head ( about the height a plane would be flying, but we are sure it was not a commercial or passenger plane), we could very well see that it was a circle shape, of a dark color with a single red light rotating around the edges of the circle shape. ( no white light was visible anymore, only a red light, not so bright, but well distinguished)

We kept looking at it, but it went above the building and I lost track of it.

The witness I had with me said it then sped out of the way and disappeared ( I was sitting closer to the building, he was a few feet away from me)

I ran to the side of the building to check . . . and sure enough, nothing was in the sky anymore.

The weather was perfect, with absolutely no clouds.

It was also not pinch dark outside, at around 9.00pm (perhaps a few minutes before 9) the sky was still navy blue.

This is no hoax, and I am happy I had the chance to witness something of this kind."

* Tracy Cameron wrote in Monday afternoon searching for confirmation of a sighting: "A couple weeks ago (I can find out the exact date) but it was before the meteor showers here in BC ...

my wife and I were sittin on our back deck enjoying the evening when I saw that I thought was a falling star. it was a single point of light headed east. So I called out " Look!" to my wife, and in the amount of time it took to sway that- the 'shooting ' star' erupted into a giant flaming mass hurtling east. As it burst into flames I could see the outline of a mangled object, ( it was huge) and as it traveled, the flames flowing behind it made it look like a flaming bullet. We watched for some time until it went behind the trees and we waited for a crash to sound, but heard nothing. We posted on our local tv station asking had anyone seen/heard anything. checked for meteorites that may have crashed and nothing. No one saw a thing. Or at least no one is willing to SAY they saw anything. I live in Surrey BC, and this was about 1130 pm-ish. I cannot believe that a giant flaming object can hurtle over the city of surrey, and that my spouse and I are the only ones to have seen it. I mean surely NASA or our own Canadian space agency or air traffic control towers must be in the know about this event. Anyway, that's not the only UFO i have seen... Just the most recent.

Has ANYONE else seen this giant flaming object, or is it really just me and my wife?"

* Ann-Marie wrote in on Sunday afternoon about a sighting in December: "After reading your article about the UFO sighting yesterday in Chilliwack it sent a chill down my spine in December around 1:00am-2:00am I was driving back to a friends place after dropping off another friend off at her place I had pulled up to a red light on lougheed highway which was extremely quite and deserted at the time and i looked over to my right and at first I thought i was seeing a shooting star but then i realized that's not what it was as this orb it was a circle about the size of a spotlight but clearly wasn't comes zooming across the sky hovers in one spot changing colors from light blue to gray to purple over and over again before seriously zooming off and disappearing later that night after I got back to my other friends place I had a weird occurrence she was in her room fast asleep her daughter with her in her room and i was awoken by something touching my foot and something or some one saying shh she's sleeping lets not disturb her and i thought it was my friend so opened my eyes to a bright light in my face and i closed my eyes groaning to turn the lights off and i heard a small sorry about that and then lights went out i woke up later that day and asked my friend about what happened and she denied knowing anything about it according to her she was asleep in her room the entire night and I know it wasn't her daughter because her daughter is only a infant so I'm not sure if that even ties into the lights i had seen but it was ironic that it happened on the same night i saw the lights. But after reading your story I thought I would share my experiences as well."

* Rennee Gagnon-Cady of Coquitlam wrote in about an experience in July: "It was about midnight, in early July when my 11 year old daughter came running into my berdroom saying that she had seen something really weird in the sky above. She was quite excited and a bit anxious. She explained that she had seen a very strange bright light that had been moving slowly and then with a flash it "took off" like a bolt and disappeared. We live in Coquitlam B.C. nearer to Port Coquitlam and Pitt Meadows — and this alleged sighting happened in the area of David Blvd and Coast Meridian. This area is being heavely developed — new homes are going up everywhere but in the past, I have heard, that there were many fields in this area."

* Brian Clowes wrote in with a possible explanation: "I see these all the time when I look at, what I call, 'The Alien Super Highway.' Keep an eye on the second star in the Constellation Cassiopeia. There seems to be a lot of "traffic" that makes its way towards the star, curves around it and disappears . . . only to return a while later around the other side and take off and disappear a short distance later . . . also moving at very high speeds. I emailed SETI about this the other day as well for them to check it out."

* Nolan from Victoria wrote in on Monday about : "Myself and two friends were on the beach at Texada Island, watching the meteor shower on Friday Aug 13 (technically Saturday a.m.). I witnessed, low on the southern horizon hovering above the tree line. At first it looked no different than any star save for a golden yellow shine, same color as a harvest moon, generally unremarkable . . . Until it started moving. We witnessed the object grow in size until it was the most obviously dominating light in the night sky. It then moved parallel to the ocean, across the Strait of Juan de Fuca moving west as if dodging something. It then reversed course smoothly without any jerkiness at all, and returned along its original path to it's original position where it wavered and then reversed again, banking 45 degrees upwards and shrinking in size until it vanished completely. Never before in my life have I ever seen anything like that move in the sky, and I love a good 'tale of the tin hat'. Now I'm convinced we're not alone, although I saw no 'little green men' or shape-shifting lizards.

* A Lawrynowycz of Georgian Bay wrote Monday: So I was on my yacht a last weekend and I was just sitting on the swim platform and I looked up and I saw this big, bright, red light in the sky. I was just hovering for a few moments. Then all of a sudden, it started to move in a straight line then did circles and zig zags in the sky! I watched it until it disappeared! A few min later I saw a smaller version of the same light i saw a few seconds ago! It was so odd!

* Kreuger and his partner, who live on Salt Spring Island, saw a UFO at around 3:30 a.m. Thursday morning. "I went to bed really early, then woke up around 3 a.m. I remembered the meteor showers were on, so I went out to my deck to watch. I saw about seven meteors. The night sky was clear. Then I see this really super bright star moving in an erratic fashion. Just a single bright dot of light, going NE, but in a zig-zaggy way. I woke my partner up so she could witness. She saw it too, until it disappeared behind trees . . . "

* Submitted Aug. 23: "My name is Candice and I have just returned home to New Hazelton, B.C. early this morning. My fiancee, his daughter and I were on our way home from Vancouver in 2 seperate vehicles when I saw some strange lights behind me. I was alone in the vehicle and my fiancee and his daughter were in the car ahead of me. We were just leaving Quesnel heading north when I noticed lights behind me. They were pretty bright and I wondered if it may have been police, since there always seem to be police out and about around Quesnel. The light followed behind me for quite awhile, then they were suddenly gone. I figured whoever it was must have turned off somewhere. A few minutes later they appeared again and quickly caught up to me. I thought they were going to pass and I was trying to see what the vehicle looked like. All I could see were two lights, vertical, not like headlights. I was trying to rationalize what they were, I assumed maybe they were motorcycle lights. They followed close behind as someone would if they were about to pass. When another vehicle appeared over the hill headed towards me, they abruptly disappeared. It continued this way for another 1-2 hours. My rational mind-set would not let me believe it was anything out of the ordinary, but the patterns in which they appeared were very random and odd. A few times they were behind me and would vanish when another vehicle would approach. I spent a lot of time staring at the mirrors trying to figure it out. I could see no solid object to which the lights were attached, just two lights, one on top of the other. They were up high, then near the ground. When we arrived home I told my story and it definitely sounded crazy, but that's what I saw. It FELT like I was being stalked, kind of. That's the only way I can describe it. I feel silly sending this, but maybe someone else on the highway last night saw something too.

* Odessa of Vancouver e-mailed us to say she and four others witnessed a UFO on July 13 while visiting a sheep ranch between Zion Canyon and Navajo Lake area in Utah. She writes: "It was at 9:30 pm and not only was there a UFO in the sky that we could see for 15 minutes above us but there was also another small ball of light separately going back and forth . . . very close to us. The sheep ranch is very isolated and is five miles from the next cabin that has power. There were no other power sources near us and we turned all of our cabin lights off once we saw the UFO. There is no possible way that this ball of light floating in our trees in our back yard could have come from any other power source. This experience was real and amazing and this is not a hoax. This 100% was an unidentified flying object and 100% was not a plane or jet. It was a massive round circle brightly lit with white light and threw the binoculars I could actually make out the very strange shell . . . "

* Corinne emailed us an explanation on Friday, August 20, for what she thinks some of the "UFO" sightings might actually be -- and they're dangerous in this dry weather! She writes: "I had witnessed a UFO sighting at a lake last year. It was a round bright light travelling erratically in the night sky. It was spooky to say the least. Then with my binoculars I could make out it was a warm light, shapped like an upright cylinder. With the prevailing winds, it came closer to me and then I could make out that it was not alien, but man made. These "Home made" UFO's are made from drycleaning bags and candles. I wanted to ring the neck of the person(s) who did that because the winds did carry over the lake for a while but then changed direction and the bag ventured into the backwoods. EXTREME FIRE HAZARD. Check out the web for drycleaning bag hot air ballons. This had been going on for decades."

* Clayton wrote in: "Hi, I saw your recent video on the UFO in B.C. Not sure if you are aware, but on Facebook, in the game Mafia Wars -- if you play the game -- on Friday night blew up a armored vehicle in the Nevada desert. If you watch the show from the beginning, the camera panned up in the air. My friend said "what is that?" I said it looks like two UFOs. He's a skeptic. One object stayed stationary, the other one moved around. Now he's rethinking what people are saying about UFOs. The video I saw on here appears to be the same as in the Nevada desert video. Check it out for yourself, on Facebook they now only show SnoopDog blowing up the armored vehicle, but in order to see the UFOs you have to watch the video from the beginning."

* Sidney S. wrote in from Lillooet, B.C. on Saturday, August 21, 2010: "Last night I was out for a drive through Lillooet. As I was just locking my car up before going inside my home, I happened to look up and see two objects flying close together in the sky moving from West to East. One of them I know was a satellite, since it was moving straight but the second object, which was close to the satellite, lit up bright, then dimmed before it changed direction and started moving southward. iIt lit up bright again before it disappeared over one of the nearby mountains. I've seen this before, but was during the early evening on July 1st: We were having a BBQ for my birthday, and there was about six of us out in the backyard. The sun was setting over the mountain. We looked up since we heard an eagle overhead. When we looked up, we saw a bright dot flying northwest in the sky. We thought it was a satellite at first, since sometimes we can see them at that time of day when the sun is setting and the light bounces off the shell. But this object went really bright, then dimmed down to where we couldn't see it, then went bright again, and before it dimmed, it changed direction and began going southeast then changed direction again to southwest. It dimmed again for a few seconds and went bright one last time before it dimmed and disappeared. We didn't know what it was."

* Penny B. emailed this story: "On Aug 14th , my mother was at the cottage and got up about 3:00 in morning to use the washroom, and she couldn't believe her eyes -- coming across the water but in the sky was a light [like a spotlight] and it was slowly moving and eventually reflected off the patio glass table in the yard. She went outside, as she thought it wa perhaps a helicopter, although it didn't sound like one -- but she did hear a motor. Then it turned at a right angle and went East as if it were following the buoys in the water and was gone (but lasted awhile.) We are not sure what she saw but in all the years at the cottage we'd never seen it before. This was in Miramichi Bay, New Brunswick.

* Parminder N. wrote: "Me and my friends sighted the same UFO in Surrey, B.C. around 11:30 p.m. At first we thought it was a meteor; however it was really bright and traveled in a zigzag. We were stunned at what we just saw. The light lasted for 5 minutes and faded. We have never seen anything like this before and thought it was a UFO."

* In response to Odessa's email (posted six bullets back), Rob M. wrote the following: "Several years ago on a Wednesday in May I was still doing the Calgary to Red Deer run in my 1 ton truck and had to leave Calgary at about 4:30ish in the morning. We were opening a new branch in Red Deer soon so this would be one of my last runs. When on the highway near the Olds turn off (about half way I guess) in the early morning I looked to my left and almost put my truck into the ditch. I was on the highway so I couldn't slow down much but I saw something low in the sky. It was a huge round ball with multicolored lights all over it. The ball was so vivid you could almost make out rectangular shapes on the hull. This thing was no small object. As it travelled south at a high rate of speed I watched it with astonishment when suddenly three small balls of bright white light (like in your video), travelling exceptionally fast, followed behind the huge ball. The smaller balls seemed to be going faster after the larger one. They all pulled away from me quickly . . . .my own truck was probably doing only 75 going North at this point . . . .until I could no longer see them. I regret not pulling over in the dark and not whipping out my cell phone to take some pictures of something . . . ..although what I could have got would have been little . . . still for sanity's sake . . . .."

* Elaine wrote: "This is an email I sent to a UFO website after having a sighting in downtown Vancouver . . . yes, downtown Vancouver. If anyone else saw these lights on May 4th, please let me know. I would love to talk to them about it.

Date Of Sighting: Tuesday May 4th, 2010

Time of Sighting: 10:30am

Location of Sighting: Downtown Vancouver - above Cambie Street Bridge

Number of witnesses: 15-20 people

Number of Objects: Approx 40-50

Shape of Objects: Round

Full Description of Event/Sighting: BRIGHT, ROUND & MOVING/DANCING LIGHTS IN THE SKY

I was downtown with my kids watching the deflation of our air-filled football stadium which started at 10AM. The weather was clear..very nice and sunny . . .

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...#ixzz0xzMmTASi

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 10:47 AM

Me and my bro saw something really strange in White Rock last Sunday during broad daylight. Kinda like what these guys were saying, within the couple seconds that I was able to see the object since we were driving in a car, the object was really bright, big and was moving really fast on a strange angle. Could have just been a plane though lol

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 11:21 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Sounds kind of like a description of Iridium Flares.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 3:43 PM

Two unusual and non-logical events that still perplex me to this day:

1. A classmate of mine at elementary school had very small "c" conservative, quiet parents - they were small business people and church goin' folk and were well-respected in the community.

Lo and behold, about 20 years ago the Delta Optimist newspaper had a major/lengthy front page story about her dad and her grand-dad. Apparently they were returning from Ladner to Tsawwassen one night at ~ mid-night along 52nd Ave. - the last light along Hwy 17 and on its northern side where farms are residuate.

They witnessed a strange object in a farm field with what seemed to be strange glowing lights - strange enough to cause them to stop their car and began walking over to same. They were within ~500 feet of the object when it took off with a strange buzzing sound. It was not a helicopter or any other craft that they were familiar with.

Obviously what they saw that night caused them enough anguish to contact the Delta Optimist newspaper resulting in the front page story. I suspect that they later regreted giving that interview because one can be the object of "UFO" ridicule. Knowing these people, they were not publicity hounds.

To this day, I'm still of the firm belief that they did see something out of the ordinary, which couldn't be explained.

2. About 15 years ago, I was sitting out in a hottub at my folks place, which is situate on English Bluff in Tsawwassen. One has a clear panoramic view over to Vancouver Island and beyond. It was around 2 am in the morning and a fast-moving light caught our eye on the horizon west of Vancouver Island heading eastbound in our direction. Within about roughly 5 seconds that light had passed over our heads heading east.

I'd roughly estimate that the aircraft was flying at an altitude of 50,000+ feet and must have had a speed of 10,000 mph - 20,000 mph. No jet aircraft that I'm familiar with can travel at the speed that we saw.

And I've seen satellites, comets, meteors, etc. It was definately an aircraft flying at a consistent elevation.

Were "UFO's" involved in these two incidents? I dunno, they can't be logicaly explained and I'm not a "believer".

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 7:44 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Two unusual and non-logical events that still perplex me to this day:

1. A classmate of mine at elementary school had very small "c" conservative, quiet parents - they were small business people and church goin' folk and were well-respected in the community.

Lo and behold, about 20 years ago the Delta Optimist newspaper had a major/lengthy front page story about her dad and her grand-dad. Apparently they were returning from Ladner to Tsawwassen one night at ~ mid-night along 52nd Ave. - the last light along Hwy 17 and on its northern side where farms are residuate.

They witnessed a strange object in a farm field with what seemed to be strange glowing lights - strange enough to cause them to stop their car and began walking over to same. They were within ~500 feet of the object when it took off with a strange buzzing sound. It was not a helicopter or any other craft that they were familiar with.

Obviously what they saw that night caused them enough anguish to contact the Delta Optimist newspaper resulting in the front page story. I suspect that they later regreted giving that interview because one can be the object of "UFO" ridicule. Knowing these people, they were not publicity hounds.

To this day, I'm still of the firm belief that they did see something out of the ordinary, which couldn't be explained.

2. About 15 years ago, I was sitting out in a hottub at my folks place, which is situate on English Bluff in Tsawwassen. One has a clear panoramic view over to Vancouver Island and beyond. It was around 2 am in the morning and a fast-moving light caught our eye on the horizon west of Vancouver Island heading eastbound in our direction. Within about roughly 5 seconds that light had passed over our heads heading east.

I'd roughly estimate that the aircraft was flying at an altitude of 50,000+ feet and must have had a speed of 10,000 mph - 20,000 mph. No jet aircraft that I'm familiar with can travel at the speed that we saw.

And I've seen satellites, comets, meteors, etc. It was definately an aircraft flying at a consistent elevation.

Were "UFO's" involved in these two incidents? I dunno, they can't be logicaly explained and I'm not a "believer".
Well, it's definitely a UFO in the sense that it's an unidentified flying object.
It's crazy that so many people dismiss reports as being impossible, when clearly people have seen them.

What it was is a whole different story. I tend to think that it's almost impossible that aliens from another solar system would come all this way to earth in tiny little spaceships and cause these things. At the same time, I don't think the US government is causing them either, so I don't know.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
What it was is a whole different story. I tend to think that it's almost impossible that aliens from another solar system would come all this way to earth in tiny little spaceships and cause these things.
Me too. One would assume their ships would be much larger than the NASA Space Shuttle which is quite tiny in comparison to... anything on Star Trek

Plus aliens have no reason not to make contact.

However, it is quite possible they are already here. I refuse to believe a lot of people on this Earth are normal humans.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:50 PM

When I was a little kid, I asked an old friend of my grand-dad if he thought there were space aliens (this may have been around the time of the moon landings or when the film 2001 was in theatres).

He thought for a second and said "Of course there are Space Aliens. And they're so intelligent, they want nothing to do with us earthlings!"

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 9:29 PM
BANNED

And yet again...no one had a cam phone or camera or video camera with them? I believe that we are not alone but come on.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 10:55 PM

I saw a UFO once somewhere over East Van. It was hovering around 10m above the ground. It had a really intense white light which lit up everything around it...you could see every single house and it was bright as day. It slowly hovered around and had port holes which had equally bright lights all around it. Once one of the holes turned towards my place, it lit up my balcony (it was at least 5 km away).
At thing point I almost shit myself, so I called a couple of friends and asked them if they could see it...nobody had a view towards that side unfortunately.
So I run into the apartment and look for my binoculars...lo and behold is was a huge ass light used for movies and it was attached to one of those cherry picker trucks. At that point I had a good laugh

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 3:03 AM

In 96 my family saw a UFO above the North shore mountains from a small boat just in the area where indian arm joins Burrard inlet, 1130ish. It was at night and my brother noticed a shooting star and pointed it out, everyone looked up as this light was comming down at the speed of a normal shooting star. It kept comming and then suddenly slowed down and came to a stop somwhere above the mountains east of Indian arm. At that point it changed direction and began moving west horizontally along the mountains. At the closest point it looked about a quarter the size of the moon in the sky, round and bright like the sun. It changed direction a couple times as it headed west. Somwhere probably in the area of Grousse mountain it suddenly went from the speed of a plane/helicopter to the speed of a bullet as it zoomed away heading west and it arched up towards the sky and disapeared somwhere towards Vancouver island within two to three seconds.
There were five of us on a small boat and we tried videotaping it but on the boat it was hard to get anything. We later had a ufologist come over and ask some questions and take the tape which seemed to show nothing.

In anycase this object A) operated as if there was some inteligence behind it, B) it operated seemingly beyond the laws of phisics, C) pretty god dam unlikely it was human.

The important part though is that no one in my family questions the fact that wird stuff visits this planet or that ther are superior inteligent beings/things out there. The other things is that no one seems to care to much anymore in my family, its a non issue and a non subject, the answer is clear. Its just too bad more people cant witness stuff like this.

I should add that this was the night of the fireworks downtown and thats where we were comming from. And this whole thing lasted about a 1.5min. This was also not a light or anything like that, it was clearly a object and had both the sky as its background and the mountains.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 3:54 AM

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

obviously there are many more credible people, interviews and information out there. This should at the very least show that there is smoke to the bigest skeptics out there.

Last edited by cornholio; Aug 30, 2010 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 6:45 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Sidney S. wrote in from Lillooet, B.C. on Saturday, August 21, 2010: "Last night I was out for a drive through Lillooet. As I was just locking my car up before going inside my home, I happened to look up and see two objects flying close together in the sky moving from West to East. One of them I know was a satellite, since it was moving straight but the second object, which was close to the satellite, lit up bright, then dimmed before it changed direction and started moving southward. iIt lit up bright again before it disappeared over one of the nearby mountains. I've seen this before, but was during the early evening on July 1st: We were having a BBQ for my birthday, and there was about six of us out in the backyard. The sun was setting over the mountain. We looked up since we heard an eagle overhead. When we looked up, we saw a bright dot flying northwest in the sky. We thought it was a satellite at first, since sometimes we can see them at that time of day when the sun is setting and the light bounces off the shell. But this object went really bright, then dimmed down to where we couldn't see it, then went bright again, and before it dimmed, it changed direction and began going southeast then changed direction again to southwest. It dimmed again for a few seconds and went bright one last time before it dimmed and disappeared. We didn't know what it was.
I find myself thinking more and more that she was lucky and saw the Space Shuttle undocking from the I.S.S., firing it's engines (the first bright light), then entering the atmosphere (the second bright light).
Nevertheless some of these stories are very interesting.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion