HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:47 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
I agree its kinda shitty. Maybe they should just win the cup and everyone will shut up. lol
I promise to burn down one Calgary police car for every cup they win.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:38 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by p78hub View Post
But as it stands now, every Canucks discussion I encounter is filled with "the fans are going to riot for sure", "the Canucks are a dirty team", "the team dives and whines more than ANY team" and on and on blah blah...
why do you think this is?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:41 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
As I said before, your obsession with the Canucks is unhealthy and has forced you into a war with reality which you cannot win. Let it go. Focus on other things in your life.
You faith in stats is your biggest mistake. Diving doesn't always get called.

Reality says: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-despised-team

Quote:
Mention the Vancouver Canucks in Vancouver and the love overflows. Mention the same team anywhere else in the league and the venom is palpable.

Non-Canucks fans point to the team’s reputation for whining — GM Mike Gillis was fined during last season’s playoffs for complaining about the officiating — the diving abilities of the Sedin twins, the hair-pulling and finger-biting tactics of forward Alex Burrows.

“They are the most arrogant team I played against and the most hated team I’ve ever played against,” former Boston Bruins forward Mark Recchi told an American radio station last year.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:49 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post

I suppose when you didn't have anything to cheer for up until a few years ago your [sic] going to be inundated with fans who lack a solid grasp of the game.
If having nothing to cheer about causes a lack of hockey knowledge, then I guess we can deduce which city currently has the most (or, to be precise, 2nd most) ignorant fanbase in the NHL.

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 11, 2012 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I promise to burn down one Calgary police car for every cup they win.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:11 AM

Will you all just cut this crap about the canucks?? Seriously this shit has been going on for months! Every time I start reading a thread about the NHL, somehow the same argument gets sparked over and over and over.... JUST STOP! IT'S ENOUGH! It's ironic because you guys are all whining about the canucks being a bunch of whiners... Just shut up already.

This thread is about the PLAYOFFS. Not the Canucks. If you find it that necessary to continue with your complaints go open a thread for it. Don't start your rants here!

PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:05 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post

You [sic] faith in stats is your biggest mistake. Diving doesn't always get called.
Your dismissal of statistics that directly contradict your narrative of the Canucks as divers further underscores the irrationality of your animus towards the team.

In addition, you failed to extend your reasoning to its logical conclusion: If diving does not always get called, then that applies to all teams, not just the Canucks. Indeed, if the Canucks are frequent divers, as you keep insisting, then they would face even more scrutiny by the officials than other teams and should thus have a greater number of diving penalties. Yet the Canucks are tied for the lowest number of diving penalties in the league (i.e., zero).

Your insistence on clinging to beliefs without any objective foundation is bordering on neurosis. For your sake, I pray your team is good next year, so you can channel your energy in a more healthy (and less pathetic) direction.

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 11, 2012 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:16 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I guess they're just better at it, what with all the practice they get.

FWIW, I don't notice the diving so much. Whining, yeah, I notice it more, but that could be an effect of my dislike for the team, rather than a cause. I simply don't like the Canucks. If we could get past the arguing of reasons for this, and just accept that people don't like them, all (three) of the NHL threads would be more enjoyable. The posting of ridiculous articles from Sun Media (seriously, those people get paid to write this trash?) doesn't help anything.

I'm honestly so sick of talking about the Canucks right now (at least chiming in on this subject)...Isn't everybody?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

I just want to jump in here, avoid the arguing, and point out that it is officially the first day of the playoffs!

Can't wait to watch Pittsburgh and Philly tonight. I'm hoping to wake up for work tomorrow and hear some good news about LA and Vancouver. If there was one upset I'd like to see, that'd be it. Wasn't pleased when I drew LA in my pool, but hey, if Quick can pull it off I'd be rooting for their come-from-behind victory as long as they last in the West. Its unlikely, but it would certainly be hilarious.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:33 PM

Definitely looking forward to watching some playoff hockey tonight. Regardless of whose playing to be honest.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Will you all just cut this crap about the canucks?? Seriously this shit has been going on for months!
Oh, it's been going on for a lot longer than that.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
if Quick can pull it off I'd be rooting for their come-from-behind victory as long as they last in the West. Its unlikely, but it would certainly be hilarious.
If the Kings are going against "playoff Luongo" it's not as unlikely as you might think.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:36 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Your dismissal of statistics that directly contradict your narrative of the Canucks as divers further underscores the irrationality of your animus towards the team.

In addition, you failed to extend your reasoning to its logical conclusion: If diving does not always get called, then that applies to all teams, not just the Canucks. Indeed, if the Canucks are frequent divers, as you keep insisting, then they would face even more scrutiny by the officials than other teams and should thus have a greater number of diving penalties. Yet the Canucks are tied for the lowest number of diving penalties in the league (i.e., zero).

Your insistence on clinging to beliefs without any objective foundation is bordering on neurosis. For your sake, I pray your team is good next year, so you can channel your energy in a more healthy (and less pathetic) direction.
YOU MAD DOG? SOUNDS LIKE YOUR MAD DOG? WHY YOU MAD DOG? YOU MAD CAUSE YOUR TEAM IS BEING CALLED OUT FOR WHAT IT IS? WHY YOU MAD DOG???!?!
Look it... when the media world, and fans of the NHL all are telling you canuckleheads the same thing... perhaps you might actually concede the point, but you're such a big canucks homer that you won't listen to reason. You're not a fan of hockey, you're a fan of the canucks, and that's about it. Did you bother to read the article I posted? I could find many more from various news sites across this continent.
Canuck fans are a funny breed. First they blame the refs for bad officiating, then when the tables are turned, they'll stick up for the officiating "look how many diving calls we didn't or did get"...
You're obviously new to being a sports fan. Perhaps grow a pair and see what the rest of the NHL has been saying for the last 2+ years about the Canucks organization and stop treating everything that comes out of the FAN 1040 and canucks media as gospel...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:37 PM
Change is good

Quote:
If having nothing to cheer about causes a lack of hockey knowledge, then I guess we can deduce which city currently has the most (or, to be precise, 2nd most) ignorant fanbase in the NHL.
I'm sorry, should we review banners? How many times have the canucks won? I know, you want to be ignorant and only look at the last couple of years, because that's probably when you starting cheering for the canucks...
YOU MAD STILL DOG?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:21 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post

Look it... when the media world, and fans of the NHL all are telling you canuckleheads the same thing... perhaps you might actually concede the point, but you're such a big canucks homer that you won't listen to reason...
Don't they offer critical thinking courses in Alberta? Reason involves drawing conclusions which are supported by logic and objective evidence, not unsubstantiated, unproven opinions contained in articles. Not only have you failed to support your opinions with any objective evidence, you have been directly contradicted by the cold hard facts. When will you listen to reason?

I realize the post-season is when certain hockey fans find themselves with more time on their hands than others, but your singular obsession with another province's team cannot be healthy. It's certainly not attractive. If you channel that envy and frustration into something constructive, you could do great things.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:00 PM
Change is good

you still mad because you despise the fact that NHL media and fans have called the canucks dirty, diving, whining over the past few years? It must be a self-defence mechanism to ignore what many analyst of hockey have said repeatedly about the tactics employed by the canucks. I implore you to use the power of the internet and read more than just looking at the nhl.com website and seeing how many diving penalties were called against the canucks, which only has little relevance to the overall picture. Diving is something that is frequently missed by the refs.
What is really funny is Canuck fans obsession with getting division rivals to cheer for them because they are in the same country, and then the hissy fit that ensues.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:28 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quite frankly, let's end this unending tangent. It's petty and silly on both sides. Agree to disagree and move on.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

On a completely different note, I'm secretly cheering for Phoenix to take the cup. It will provide quite the embarrassment when the team moves to QC in June.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:48 PM

I'm not a Calgary fan particularly, but I remember years back when they went all the way to game 7 but didn't win. Even I was thinking nooooo! I really wanted to see and still do a Canadian team bring home the cup. It's our sport after all!

It eats me up to see the league expand into non-traditional hockey markets when there are places in Canada that should have a team, or a second team...one that wins..

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 9:22 PM
Go Chiefs!

I'm ready for the playoffs with a new avatar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada