HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #301  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 5:21 PM
QUEENSNYMAN QUEENSNYMAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Is the branded LIRR train a special service? That needs to happen. Most big and important cities around the world have a train line that has an airport branding on it. This will help. The same should be for JFK. There needs to be a branded train to JFK for tourists especially that has more baggage capacity and faster service.
Agreed for the JFK part, but people want a park in a row that once ran as the LIRR all the way to Rockaway. Wish either LIRR or the subway would take over the row. Off topic it would be also great for people in the Rockaways as transportation alternative.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #302  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 5:40 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Is the branded LIRR train a special service? That needs to happen. Most big and important cities around the world have a train line that has an airport branding on it. This will help. The same should be for JFK. There needs to be a branded train to JFK for tourists especially that has more baggage capacity and faster service.
I dunno. Port Washington already runs 30-minute headways off peak and on weekends, so maybe the Port Authority thinks they can get away without adding any actual new service to the LIRR so long as every train is made to stop at Willets Point. LIRR trains would run more frequently during peak, and off-peak riders would also have the option of taking the 7 to Willets if they don't wanna wait 30 minutes. If that's the case, then forget about branded LIRR trains.

Comparable services like London's Heathrow Express run every 15 minutes, at all times, 7 days a week, so if the Port Authority wants to do that, they will need to purchase more trains for the Port Washington Branch and then they very well might have special branding, but only on every second train. Leonardo Express in Rome has a lower frequency closer to 30 minutes, but Roman public transport shouldn't be the best practice for NY...
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #303  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:20 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I dunno. Port Washington already runs 30-minute headways off peak and on weekends, so maybe the Port Authority thinks they can get away without adding any actual new service to the LIRR so long as every train is made to stop at Willets Point. LIRR trains would run more frequently during peak, and off-peak riders would also have the option of taking the 7 to Willets if they don't wanna wait 30 minutes. If that's the case, then forget about branded LIRR trains.

Comparable services like London's Heathrow Express run every 15 minutes, at all times, 7 days a week, so if the Port Authority wants to do that, they will need to purchase more trains for the Port Washington Branch and then they very well might have special branding, but only on every second train. Leonardo Express in Rome has a lower frequency closer to 30 minutes, but Roman public transport shouldn't be the best practice for NY...
Not too bad then. I think it would be helpful though because they could market it with amenities for airport pax like extra baggage storage, newspapers, coffee, drinks, etc., etc. Heathrow Express, you know? It works well in London.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #304  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:32 PM
tdawg's Avatar
tdawg tdawg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY,NY
Posts: 2,383
The glass is going up along the front curtain wall of the new Terminal B. It looks stunning.
__________________
Creative Director in New York City
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #305  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:33 AM
wiseguy205 wiseguy205 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
July Pictures on Flickr

July Update

Some good pictures of the glass going up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #306  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 9:35 PM
JZeig1 JZeig1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 104
I have a question. I notice that in the first photo, there is steel going up on top of util building. Does that mean they're going forward with the hotel or just to create structure if they can find someone to finance.

https://twitter.com/JonZeig/status/1026579184926294018
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #307  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 11:04 PM
JZeig1 JZeig1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
I have a question. I notice that in the first photo, there is steel going up on top of util building. Does that mean they're going forward with the hotel or just to create structure if they can find someone to finance.

https://twitter.com/JonZeig/status/1026579184926294018
https://twitter.com/JonZeig/status/1026579184926294018
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #308  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:35 PM
N830MH N830MH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,039
Any news construction photos? Can we see it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #309  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:03 AM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey - Somerset County
Posts: 23,748
Lots of activity making LaGuardia better!




Credit: https://twitter.com/LGAairport
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #310  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:39 AM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Leftist Correctist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spaceship Earth
Posts: 5,410
The modernization is great news, I just wish it was coinciding with a Rikers Island incorporation and extension of N/W train to underneath the terminal.
__________________
You slip me the cash and I'll slip you the wiener. <><><><><><>IMPEACHMENT NOW!

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #311  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:14 AM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 16,631
^
Rikers Island will be redeveloped in a few years, so there's hope. Supposedly housing is off the table.

I would not expect direct subway service to the terminals anytime soon, due to the Airtrain project and NIMBY opposition that derailed plans 20 years ago. Airtrain to subway/LIRR should be sufficient.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #312  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:02 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,310
TBH I think the best move in the future is to simply extend the LGA Airtrain down the Grand Central Parkway to meet the N/W at Astoria Blvd. Basically make the Airtrain a full-fledged shuttle line of the subway system, maybe with a local station in the west part of Astoria somewhere.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:52 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.