HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:18 AM
Ham-burgher

This is good. It may take a bit of adjustment (drivers initially unsure what to do... pedestrians too) but these kinds of crossings make a lot of sense. As with the zebra crossings, hopefully these start rolling out more widely as budget allows.

I lived in Toronto for a couple of years a while back and my first experience with these as a driver I was a bit uncertain -- e.g., the lights started flashing after the point I can safely stop, what do I do??? I adjusted.

Hopefully Terry isn't going to raise a stink. Congestion due to a "half baked" crossing system, time spent in traffic and away from families, contributing to impedance on the "major corridors of commerce", basically traffic armageddon on The Mountain. Maybe he's preparing a comprehensive unbiased report on the subject?

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 4:12 PM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:28 PM

Montreal borough hopes new 3D crosswalks will improve road safety

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/montre...fety-1.4008009

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:14 AM
Ham-burgher

Those are really cool. I'd seen pics from other countries, but to see them happening in Canada is terrific.

Can't wait to see some of the heads blow apart around the Hamilton council horseshoe when staff eventually propose them here.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 9:59 PM

City will spend more than $1M to make Upper James safer for walking

13 pedestrians were hit along the corridor from 2014 to 2018

Samantha Craggs · CBC News · Posted: Jun 17, 2020 3:20 PM

The city will spend more than $1 million to make Upper James Street more pedestrian friendly, including planter boxes to separate pedestrians from vehicles and $550,000 to study potential bus rapid transit (BRT).

Pending council approval next week, the city will spend about $500,000 to replace pedestrian signals and red light cameras at various locations along the major Mountain corridor. The seasonal planter boxes will stretch along the street north of Fennell Avenue and cost $6,000 per year to maintain.

But the priciest item on the list is doing a functional design and business case for the A-Line corridor, which goes from the Mountain brow to the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport. The design would include numerous streetscape improvements to make the stretch safer for pedestrians.

Council requested the report in 2016, when then-Ward 7 councillor Donna Skelly said the street is dangerous. "It's important for us to recognize that people do walk in that area," she said then. Since then, some traffic signals and enhancements have been implemented from the Niagara Escarpment to Fennell Avenue.

This goes farther, and "offers some much-needed aesthetic improvements," said Coun. John-Paul Danko (Ward 8).

"It's a really good news story for the Upper James corridor," he said at Wednesday's public works meeting.

Terry Whitehead, Ward 14 councillor, said Upper James is "probably [Hamilton's] main economic corridor."

"I think there are still steps that need to be made," he said, but the report is "a good start."

The staff report says 23 pedestrians were hit along the corridor from 2014 to 2018. Ten were at the Mohawk Road or Fennell Avenue intersections. In five of them, the pedestrian was crossing without having the right of way. In the other five, the driver was at fault.

A new city report also shows there were six collisions causing death or injury at Upper James and Stone Church Road last year, and 12 mid-block crashes along the stretch. Upper James and Mohawk Road West also made the city's list of top 10 most crash-prone intersections from 2015 to 2019. As for the list of the 11 most prone spots for mid-block collisions, five were on Upper James.

"A review of locations with a high frequency of fatal and injury collisions during the past five years show that a more detailed review of the Upper James corridor is advisable," the report says.

As for rapid transit, Upper James is already part of the BLAST network, a plan for eventual rapid transit that stretches through most of the city. The now-called B-line light rail transit system would have been the first leg of that.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ames-1.5615961

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:36 PM

Flashback to 2016:

Mountain councillors Donna Skelly and Terry Whitehead want to make the busy Upper James Street more pedestrian friendly.

A motion, approved by Hamilton council at their Sept. 14 meeting, requests that a feasibility study be conducted to remake the corridor from the Claremont Access and Rymal Road so pedestrians and cyclists can use it in a safer manner.

Their caveat is that any changes to Upper James, known for its commercial and retail businesses, should not impact the traffic flow.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 10:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

‘Heaviest of hearts’ in Hamilton as ‘musical genius’ Boris Brott confirmed dead in hit and run

https://www.insauga.com/heaviest-of-...53utCCHBUxxaM4

Heartfelt messages from Hamiltonians poured forth shortly after the Brott Music Festival confirmed that Brott was the 78-year-old man who succumbed to injuries in hospital after being hit in the Durand neighbourhood shortly after 10 a.m. on April 5. Brott, a member of the Order of Canada who conducted at Carnegie Hall and in front Pope John Paul II in Vatican City, was founder and artistic director of the National Academy Orchestra of Canada and the Brott Music Festival in Hamilton. He and his author-attorney wife Ardyth Webster Brott resided in the city.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 9:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Council to weigh in on safety improvements at dangerous Hamilton
Staff to report to councillors on ways to improve intersections where pedestrians have been hurt or killed

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...BrrhUKAoOjSS48

Hamilton councillors will have the chance to weigh in on safety improvements at three lower-city intersections with dangerous track records, after city council unanimously approved Wednesday two motions spurred by recent collisions involving pedestrians.

The motions, first put forward at April 4's public works committee, direct staff to present the results of road safety reviews currently underway of the intersections of: King Street East and Main Street East; Dundurn Street and Main Street West; and Dundurn Street and King Street West. Those results should include costs and proposed implementation plans.

The motions also require staff to consult with the city's light-rail transit (LRT) office in order to identify whether any of the proposed safety enhancements could be incorporated into the design of the LRT corridor.

Councillors Nrinder Nann (Ward 3) and John Paul Danko (Ward 8) brought the motions forward last week.

Wednesday's approval comes after Hamilton drivers hit several pedestrians in recent weeks, including at two of the intersections under review.

Three pedestrians were killed at King Street East and Main Street East, also known as the Delta intersection, on March 19, after a vehicle that was speeding down Main Street East crashed and burst into flames. The driver also died.

"Residents of the adjacent area were already expressing concern for quite some time about this intersection," said Nann at last week's committee meeting, noting it is a common place to cross for pedestrians who are accessing Gage Park.

On March 30, a 14-year-old girl was sent to the hospital in critical condition after she was hit at Dundurn and Main. Police tweeted Wednesday — two weeks after the crash — that she had been released from hospital, but that her recovery continues.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 10:38 PM

As I'm sure you have all herd, another pedestrian has been killed on Highway Main. People are pretty outraged on social media. Perhaps council will start feeling the pressure. I'm also wondering of we need to organize some sort of protest or something out front of city hall.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:20 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:45 PM

We are planning a protest on Wednesday May 11 at 9:30AM at the City Hall Forecourt :

https://fb.me/e/2mKJgihJ7

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:56 PM

Thank you TheRitsman. I’ll be there. This madness is unacceptable.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 3:09 PM

We should be demanding Main become two-way immediately. I don't need to spell out all the benefits in a diatribe, but it's time to make this a reality.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
We are planning a protest on Wednesday May 11 at 9:30AM at the City Hall Forecourt :

https://fb.me/e/2mKJgihJ7
I really wish I could go to this but I recently was off work from Covid and can't afford to take another day off. Glad this is happening.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 5:41 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Dammit, I was just saying to a coworker we need to have a protest regarding all the tragic accidents and the cities complete lack of action. But this is during my work hours. I can only protest on weekends and or evenings but I guess this makes sense during city hall business hours. I hope a massive crowd turns out for this! Get rid of the highways cutting through out downtown!

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Dammit, I was just saying to a coworker we need to have a protest regarding all the tragic accidents and the cities complete lack of action. But this is during my work hours. I can only protest on weekends and or evenings but I guess this makes sense during city hall business hours. I hope a massive crowd turns out for this! Get rid of the highways cutting through out downtown!
The reason for the timing is that this will be during a meeting where Cllr Wilson will be bringing a motion forward with Cllr Nann to do something about this. Evening or weekend is my preference too since it's during my work hours.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure