HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:43 PM
Urbis Maximus

The zoning for Holyrood did not include any building elevations just a site plan (see attached). So those renderings are simply placeholders and are subject to further review by the EDC with each DP application.

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...8124007360.PDF

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:46 PM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
The zoning for Holyrood did not include any building elevations just a site plan (see attached). So those renderings are simply placeholders and are subject to further review by the EDC with each DP application.

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...8124007360.PDF
well dammitall, how are we supposed to maintain our collective outrage without images???

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:07 AM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:16 AM

it might not seem like much from a construction perspective but it's a big deal for a developer when the signs go up:

Untitled by cdnklc, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:41 AM

^nice work
Beautiful building

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:20 AM
Made in Edmonton

Great building and location. When's the opening date?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:19 AM

Beautiful!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Great building and location. When's the opening date?
base building should be ready for tenant work in the first quarter of 2019 with occupancy in the second quarter... we’re still doing shoring for the existing facades and selective demolition to make way for new construction and the addition.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:15 PM
Community Guy

Had a great presentation from Westrich Pacific on their Grandin project 'The View'.

Now 23 storeys from the original 28
11 family friendly units of 3 & 4, yes 4 bdrms
2 townhouses
Beautiful design
Nice amenity spaces
Smaller 2bdrms which will be well priced
Bike parking for over 200
EV station
POGO car share partnership
$600,000 community contribution to the Oliver Community League towards their new hall/etc.

1 block from a school
2 blocks from LRT
1 block from the bike lane

Goes to Council August 20th WITHOUT City of Edmonton planning support.

*shakes head

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

*shakes head
You can't leave us hanging like that!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:58 PM
A Better Place

^Non-support seems strange given the information you've provided. Do you know why the City isn't in support?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Had a great presentation from Westrich Pacific on their Grandin project 'The View'.

Now 23 storeys from the original 28
11 family friendly units of 3 & 4, yes 4 bdrms
2 townhouses
Beautiful design
Nice amenity spaces
Smaller 2bdrms which will be well priced
Bike parking for over 200
EV station
POGO car share partnership
$600,000 community contribution to the Oliver Community League towards their new hall/etc.

1 block from a school
2 blocks from LRT
1 block from the bike lane

*shakes head
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
You can't leave us hanging like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
^Non-support seems strange given the information you've provided. Do you know why the City isn't in support?
* shakes head???

on it's own and with sufficient set-backs and maybe with a podium and possibly with a bit more respect for it's neighbors might there be more edc/planning department support and less head shaking?

this was always a pretty ambitious project for two midblock single family home sites sandwiched between the general's parkade and an existing low-rise condo project. limiting distances and code compliance - and too much ambition? - all forced some pretty awkward compromises onto this design.

from a distance and a perspective without a lot of scrutiny it's sexy. from a contextual and urban edge perspective, planning obviously struggled with it and not without reason.

ps. "you" had a presentation or the dba had a presentation? and is it your head shaking or dba's?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:39 PM
Community Guy

on it's own and with sufficient set-backs and maybe with a podium and possibly with a bit more respect for it's neighbors might there be more edc/planning department support and less head shaking?

-----> They purchased the laneway to increase the setback from 3m to 10m. A podium is not required on all building and certainly is not needed for a variety of reasons. The neighbour to the south is now neutral versus opposed, as are many others abutting or in the area because of 17 changes.

this was always a pretty ambitious project for two midblock single family home sites sandwiched between the general's parkade and an existing low-rise condo project. limiting distances and code compliance - and too much ambition? - all forced some pretty awkward compromises onto this design.

----->Ambition is important, as are high quality, well designed 23 story towers on 15,000sqft lots. Code compliance was and is still achieved Ken. Not anymore.

from a distance and a perspective without a lot of scrutiny it's sexy. from a contextual and urban edge perspective, planning obviously struggled with it and not without reason.

------>Not without reason at first pass, now I very much question that to the point of obstructionist.

ps. "you" had a presentation or the dba had a presentation? and is it your head shaking or dba's?

--------> They presented to Child-Friendly Edmonton, of which I am a member of the Committee through the DBA. The DBA is supportive of high-quality infill projects that bring a investment to the Downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods which provide a greater variety of housing options to more people that will increase the daytime and nighttime populations of the area.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:

-----> They purchased the laneway to increase the setback from 3m to 10m. A podium is not required on all building and certainly is not needed for a variety of reasons. The neighbour to the south is now neutral versus opposed, as are many others abutting or in the area because of 17 changes.

----->Ambition is important, as are high quality, well designed 23 story towers on 15,000sqft lots. Code compliance was and is still achieved Ken. Not anymore.

------>Not without reason at first pass, now I very much question that to the point of obstructionist.

--------> They presented to Child-Friendly Edmonton, of which I am a member of the Committee through the DBA. The DBA is supportive of high-quality infill projects that bring a investment to the Downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods which provide a greater variety of housing options to more people that will increase the daytime and nighttime populations of the area.
emphasis added (1)...

"I" wearing your own hat, Child-Friendly Edmonton's hat or DBA's hat?

emphasis added (2)...

so the the dba is "supportive of high-quality infill projects that bring a investment to the downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods which provide a greater variety of housing options to more people that will increase the daytime and nighttime populations of the area"? are you paraphrasing here for the dba? because i can't find that particular dba objective anywhere.

and, paraphrasing or not, are you actually suggesting that the dba is happy to support projects in downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods which do not have the support of the planning department? and, if that's the case, is that a full member review decision, an executive decision, a committee decision either sitting or ad hoc, or simply a discretionary decision of the executive director?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:21 AM
Unregistered User :(

After 4 years the hole@fivecorners is finally filled. Due to open in 2020. Cidex says they will do more in Downtown and in Old Strathcona. And they have a project pending on 105 Street.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:39 AM

Nice.

Hipster makeover planned for historic Strathcona Hotel

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...rathcona-hotel

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:44 AM
Made in Edmonton

delete

Last edited by Black Star; Jul 14, 2018 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:57 AM
Made in Edmonton

Some history guys.. I loved seeing this. Hope u enjoy.

https://youtu.be/7QCYDzsQ_yM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 6:08 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
After 4 years the hole@fivecorners is finally filled. Due to open in 2020. Cidex says they will do more in Downtown and in Old Strathcona. And they have a project pending on 105 Street.
Really good to see. I am looking forward to seeing the Corners project rise up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton