HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:50 AM
I am a typical

After all the stink about that Frank Loessig song being "banned", so far the only station to resume playing it is the government owned one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Looks like the media jumped the gun. While almost all of the charges are not going forward against Rozon, one alleged rape from 1979 apparently has enough to it to go ahead with a criminal trial.
It's too bad we can't re-open all the rape cases from back then that ended in not guilty verdicts because the victim wore a short skirt or because the accused looked just like the judge's son.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
After all the stink about that Frank Loessig song being "banned", so far the only station to resume playing it is the government owned one.
Frank Loesser.

Watching the original movie this song appeared in (Neptune's Daughter) was interesting. The characters are clearly flirting with each other and halfway through it switches to two different characters and the male-female roles are reversed, with the woman trying to get the man to stay.

There are lots of scathing articles about the song out there by authors who apparently either did less than 5 minutes of research or chose to deliberately make claims inconsistent with historical facts.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:49 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Frank Loesser.
Mixed the name up with Lawrence Lessig

Quote:
Watching the original movie this song appeared in (Neptune's Daughter) was interesting. The characters are clearly flirting with each other and halfway through it switches to two different characters and the male-female roles are reversed, with the woman trying to get the man to stay.
And apparently the song was originally written for Loesser's wife (the movie used it but it wasn't made for the movie) though some of the lyrics don't corroborate with that; a wife wouldn't be unable to stay if it's cold; she would live that house. Unless she were cheating, but that would have been an incredibly inappropriate topic for the era.

Quote:
There are lots of scathing articles about the song out there by authors who apparently either did less than 5 minutes of research or chose to deliberately make claims inconsistent with historical facts.
Out of context, the relationship between the two isn't made clear by the song. This is similar to the case in Newfoundland a few years ago when someone complained Money for Nothing was homophobic because the word "faggot" appears in it, without realizing that it's using the word in a way that actually mocks homophobic people.

Lyrics aside, the song is also pretty clunky. Even if it didn't sound like he was trying to drug a woman who wanted to leave, I'd change the station when it came on.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Lyrics aside, the song is also pretty clunky. Even if it didn't sound like he was trying to drug a woman who wanted to leave, I'd change the station when it came on.
Thankfully the top pop songs of 2018 are more tasteful, poetic, and respectful:

Yeah, you supermodel thick
Damn, that ass bustin' out the bottom
I'ma lose my mind in it, crazy that medulla oblongata
Get to rubbin' on my lap
Get the genie out the bottle
F*** it up, f*** it up
P**** good, go and back it up

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:06 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Thankfully the top pop songs of 2018 are more tasteful, poetic, and respectful

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Thankfully the top pop songs of 2018 are more tasteful, poetic, and respectful:
There's a good Dave Chappelle line about this sort of stuff in one of his Netflix specials when he asked the crowd if they found the word pussy offensive.

When the topic of popular songs came up he was basically like: "We dance to that shit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Chappelle
You just… The word “pussy” is only offensive if you’re older. People my age and younger, I don’t think we even— We dance to that shit. That song comes on the radio— ♪ I beat the pussy up ♪ That’s on the radio. ♪ I beat the pussy up ♪ That’s a pretty harsh song. It’s nothing like a love song. There’s no tracks of his tears, no midnight trains to Georgia. This man simply beats the pussy up. Unbelievable. You don’t even know if he’s having sex with these women.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Good. I wondered about him after watching a recent Whitney Cummings Just For Laughs special a couple weeks ago.
I am not aware of the case details at all, but one wonders how difficult it is to prosecute a rape case from almost four decades ago.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I am not aware of the case details at all, but one wonders how difficult it is to prosecute a rape case from almost four decades ago.
True. It’s all circumstantial and witness based evidence. It could happen though. I agree that the odds aren’t good, however.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:44 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Lol! I watched Elf yesterday and there’s a scene where he sings Baby it’s Cold Outside with Zoey Deschanel while she’s in the shower.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I wonder what the point is. Normally people say that the goal of criminal punishment is either deterrence or rehabilitation. What kind of deterrence is "maybe we'll prosecute you 40 years later when little evidence is available"? What further rehabilitation is possible if this person has not committed any crimes in the past 40 years and probably won't be around in another 40 years?

Another reason people give is "closure" but I wonder whether this is a healthy or helpful attitude for victims, since it dredges up the past and may give perpetrators further power to decide whether to admit guilt or not (which may be coerced and hollow, e.g. a plea bargain). The clearest "winners" in these cases are the lawyers.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
The clearest "winners" in these cases are the lawyers.
It rarely about justice. It’s usually about billable hours.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 12:45 AM
Fake News

Quote:
I wonder what the point is. Normally people say that the goal of criminal punishment is either deterrence or rehabilitation. What kind of deterrence is "maybe we'll prosecute you 40 years later when little evidence is available"? What further rehabilitation is possible if this person has not committed any crimes in the past 40 years and probably won't be around in another 40 years?

Another reason people give is "closure" but I wonder whether this is a healthy or helpful attitude for victims, since it dredges up the past and may give perpetrators further power to decide whether to admit guilt or not (which may be coerced and hollow, e.g. a plea bargain). The clearest "winners" in these cases are the lawyers.
Closure is a real thing.

Last edited by O-tacular; Dec 16, 2018 at 7:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 5:59 AM

I'd say the justice system is a cocktail of deterrence, retribution, and rehabilitation. Absolutely placating victims and offering a sense of closure and justice to victims is a part of that mixture. That's part of the reason that there is no statute of limitations on things like sexual assault. You can't just get away with it decades later just because you waited out the clock. If you terrorized a person, and there is reasonable evidence to support it, then of course that should be fair game for a fair trial. Not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.

It's always a risk for victims to not get the result they want, whether they were raped yesterday or decades ago. That is their choice and risk to take. As long as a fair trial is still possible, the system works.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 9:54 PM
Fake News

It’s been a while since anyone’s posted in this thread. I thought this might resonate with some of you.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/calgaryh...ex-abusers/amp

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 1:30 PM

Great article. As someone who has been sexually harassed by mulitiple women, it makes me feel good to see men talking about this. I’ve had my package and ass grabbed by random women, had them walk up to me and start petting my beard, who walks up to a stranger and starts touching their face!? i worked with one woman who liked to pinch my nipples, one day she did it and a few other coworkers saw and I did it right back to her. Took her nipple and just twisted that shit. She went and complained that I grabbed her breast. Fucking Bitch. The other co workers stood up for me and told the owner what happened. Most of the guys I know have at some point in their lives been in an abusive relationship involving an abusive woman, my brothers ex used to attack him when he walked in the door from work, took a phone to the head a couple times. Women are just as bad as men.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 6:13 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Great article. As someone who has been sexually harassed by mulitiple women, it makes me feel good to see men talking about this. I’ve had my package and ass grabbed by random women, had them walk up to me and start petting my beard, who walks up to a stranger and starts touching their face!? i worked with one woman who liked to pinch my nipples, one day she did it and a few other coworkers saw and I did it right back to her. Took her nipple and just twisted that shit. She went and complained that I grabbed her breast. Fucking Bitch. The other co workers stood up for me and told the owner what happened. Most of the guys I know have at some point in their lives been in an abusive relationship involving an abusive woman, my brothers ex used to attack him when he walked in the door from work, took a phone to the head a couple times. Women are just as bad as men.
Just curious what industry you work in?

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 3, 2019 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Exactly. It is just that the media is so leftist/feminist that the whole story about female abuse is censored.
It's about time the world woke up to the fact that women can sexually abuse and harass men.
* Asia Argento: #MeToo actress now admits to sex with underage boy
* Liberal Woman Who Grabbed Infowars Host’s Crotch At Women’s March Arrested
*A man who was a residential school student in Manitoba as a boy. In a claim accepted as factual, he said he was in line for a shower when a nun grabbed and squeezed his genitals
* The Manitoba Human Rights Commission has found a 21-year-old man who worked at a Regent Avenue garage was sexually harassed by his 41-year-old female supervisor.
* NYPD boss accused of stuffing her panties in co-worker’s mouth
* A Female Marine who held the distinction of being one of the first women to join the Marine Infantry is being kicked out after it was discovered she had an intimate relationship with a subordinate.
* Donna Brazile, who stepped up at the last minute to serve as interim chairman of the Democratic National Committee after embattled Chairman Debbie Wasserman resign said on the CBC show The Current that men should put their dicks on the table at meetings
*Katie Perry kisses a man on the lips when he didn't want it but NO consequences for her.
* 2 men accuse Assemblywoman Cristina Garcia — a vocal #MeToo ally — of sexual harassment - By the way, SHE WAS ON THE COVER OF TIME AS A PROPONENT OF THE #METOO MOVEMENT
* Woman spared jail for sex attack on man at McDonald’s. A woman who groped a man’s testicles and smacked his bottom has been spared jail.
* One senior human resources leader I spoke with had a woman surprise him and take his picture. It was then pasted beside one of George Clooney, with the headline "Who is Hotter?" This poster was e-mailed to the entire department, and others who wished to play the game, along with electronic voting boxes for accuracy
* World-renowned lesbian NYU professor suspended after probe finds she sexually harassed gay male student
* In a mostly female work environment, each time the leader had a chance, she would tell the new hire it was a game to see how many bum-slap opportunities she and her colleagues could find.
* Florida city commissioner, 60, resigns over claims she repeatedly LICKED her male colleagues and once 'groped a city manager's genitals'
* major Texas democrat resigns over cocaine, sexting, and prostitution charges
* Male Bartenders Continually Groped By Female Customers, Forced To Change Kilts
* Dem Candidate Accused of Sexual Harassment Set to Drop Out of House Race. Democratic congressional candidate Andrea Ramsey is dropping out of a Kansas race after a spotlight was put on a past lawsuit involving accusations that she sexually harassed a male subordinate who rejected her advances.
* Female CNN Anchor Caught on Camera Openly Sexually Harassing Male… Media Silent
* 3 Female announcers put oil an Olympic athlete upper body while a male announcer interviews him
* 77% of men sexually harassed by female staff - Irish Examiner
* Most men are harassed by women at work Telegraph
* Megan Barry, called a news conference to announce that she had been having an affair with Robert Forrest Jr., a police sergeant who was the head of her security detail

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:21 AM
Fake News

I don’t think the lack of coverage has anything to do with ‘leftist / feminist’ media. If anything toxic masculinity prevents men from coming forward because it doesn’t respect ‘weakness’ in males and it insults them for not wanting sex with women all the time. Did you read the article?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:37 AM

Quote:
That's frickin' crazy. I also totally believe your story about your brother. Shit like that is way more common than some people want to admit. The media and feminists try to make it seem like men are the ones always doing the abusing but I believe stats show it's close to being 50% to 50%. In other words, women are just as likely to be the abuser as they are the abused.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:51 AM
I am a typical

Well it's great to see you guys are so eager to support male victims. Here are some registered charities you can support either financially or through volunteering:

Canadian Centre for Male Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse

1 in 6 (That's the proportion of men who've been sexually assaulted)

Some statistics

Also, most sexual assault centres do accept men, so you can donate to them and ask if there are ways that you can assist them in that. You can also do your part by spreading the word that there are services out there for men to access, and that there is no shame in speaking out and getting support whether they were recently assaulted or assaulted decades ago. Every little bit helps to break the stigma.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada