HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 4:59 AM

FUEL 90.3 Calgary now all Hits Radio

I haven't listened to the radio for a bit, but FUEL 90.3 resently changed their format and is now AMP 90.3, and all hits radio station. They were my favorite station but now it's another VIBE 98.5/ENERGY 101.5. One would think that the market would be saturated with three Top 40 radio stations.

Too bad the FUEL-alternative experiment didn't work out.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 6:18 PM
Fake News

I heard that the other day in my car. Can;t say I'm terribly surprised. Happened to Rock 97, and to a slew of others. I guess you just can;t be the mediocre alternative to CJ or ick X92.9.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:21 PM
Chuggernaught

I was under the impression the same people that owned cjay also owned vibe and fuel. So it's bizarre that you'd make two of your stations basically the same format. I don't know I could be wrong but at least all of them are in the same building on Centre.

They could have at least changed 97.7 over. That station is a steaming pile of crap. It's like the new 95.9 for the late 20's early 30's crowd; at work lameness under the guise of variety. At least 95.9 has some gems from years past, sincerely. Maybe while they're at it, scrap XL103 and turn it into a top 40 station too

LOL then the Calgary radio dial would go something like this:

ump tisss ump tiss ump tisss... (static switching between stations)... baby baby baby... (static switching stations)... bump bump chick ba-bump bump chick... (static between stations)... baby baby baby... (static between stations)... bump chick bump chick ba-ba-bump chick bump chick... (static switching stations)... ump tisss ump tiss ump tisss...

And so fourth...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 4:03 PM

I wish the X would mix in more harder rock like Metallica and Disturbed with what they play now... but it's still by far the best station in Calgary IMO.

CJAY ia a fucking disaster, every time a new station comes to town they change their playlist to fight for ratings... when 107 went old rock CJAY went 70% Led Zeppelin, when X showed up they went back to a little more Offspring & Green Day mixed in with 40 year old rock, they suck ass!

Fuel should have went strickly hard rock from the 90's and now... no Hip and REM garbage, that would have took more listeners from CJAY & X.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 5:29 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

I agree FUEL was probably the best, if not the second best, radio station in Calgary (X 92.9 contended for top spot). FUEL played lots of stuff like Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon etc. What I liked about it that I don't like about X 92.9 is that it didn't play pop-punk type stuff. It is a big loss for me, I loved that station. And I agee, CJAY sucks really bad. They play lots of different bands, but they play the same thing from those bands all the time. The same 3 AC-DC songs, the same 3 Pearl Jam songs, the same 2 Led Zepplin Songs. They are a joke.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 5:37 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

If CJAY ever dies during my lifetime I'm having a spontaneous party wherever I happen to be when I hear.

Something along the lines of Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Dangerfield
Hey everybody, we're all gonna get laid!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:15 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I agree FUEL was probably the best, if not the second best, radio station in Calgary (X 92.9 contended for top spot). FUEL played lots of stuff like Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon etc. What I liked about it that I don't like about X 92.9 is that it didn't play pop-punk type stuff. It is a big loss for me, I loved that station. And I agee, CJAY sucks really bad. They play lots of different bands, but they play the same thing from those bands all the time. The same 3 AC-DC songs, the same 3 Pearl Jam songs, the same 2 Led Zepplin Songs. They are a joke.
I've only been listening to x929 for a couple months, and the one band that I can't figure out why it's played on 929 is Treble Charger...but hey they play Tool so I forgive them. They also play a lot of hiphop, but surprisingly I don't mind it, nice to hear hiphop that isn't all about bling and hos.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:16 PM
Watchin em grow

I now only have one station to listen to and that is X
They do play Disturbed once in a while but I agree that they need to get a little heavier. Not so much in the metal vein but more hardcore or the like.

Stuff like they played when they first signed on. Some RJA etc.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 7:37 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 9:54 PM
not a NIMBY

Afaik, Sirius XM has never made money, is heavily in debt, is stagnant in subscriber growth, and may not survive as a business unless they raise subscription rates and attract new subscribers.
I liked FUEL, too bad it failed to attract enough listeners.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 2:06 AM

Is satellite radio really that broke? I have it in my work pickup and I love it... hope it doesn't go bellyup.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation