HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

View Poll Results: Are you planning on going to the Stampede this year?
Yeeeeee-haw! (yes) 38 53.52%
No 25 35.21%
I haven't decided 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
You're dating yourself.

You can always tell if someone's in their 30s (rough guess) - that's when we start to notice that military types all look very young, but also when we notice that most NHL players look VERY young.

It's sad to think that I'd be close to retirement if I played hockey.
I've always said, that you know when you're getting old when cops and Doctors start looking young.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 7:15 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
You're dating yourself.

You can always tell if someone's in their 30s (rough guess) - that's when we start to notice that military types all look very young, but also when we notice that most NHL players look VERY young.

It's sad to think that I'd be close to retirement if I played hockey.
I'd likely be long retired if I played. At least Chelios makes me feel young!

On another Stampede note, the U of C Veterinary College has a rather neat display inside the agriculture building. They have a couple of mock ups of cows in various stages of pregnancy. You can stick your arm in the buisiness end of a pregnant cow a la 'a real vet' to experience what they get to do. It's gotta be one of the most unique displays I have seen in a long time. I tried it out but couldn't convince the kids. The wife declined on the grounds that she already knew based on personal experience.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 1:03 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I'd likely be long retired if I played. At least Chelios makes me feel young!
LOL! Didn't realize we had such old farts on here, other than furry of course.

Quote:
On another Stampede note, the U of C Veterinary College has a rather neat display inside the agriculture building. They have a couple of mock ups of cows in various stages of pregnancy. You can stick your arm in the buisiness end of a pregnant cow a la 'a real vet' to experience what they get to do. It's gotta be one of the most unique displays I have seen in a long time. I tried it out but couldn't convince the kids. The wife declined on the grounds that she already knew based on personal experience.
Yeah, my ex was a vet. When she described to me what "taking a fecal" was... let's just say google it if you're curious.

Cows are BIG animals.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 4:33 PM

Heard an interesting story regarding the road blocks in Ramsay.

They roadblocks are installed each year because of a by-law passed by city council a few years back. It's the dept of Roadways job to put the cement barriers out each year.

For some reason this year, someone at Roadways got their knickers in a knot about not getting additional money to install the barriers. So yesterday Roadways pulled the barriers on Spiller and 6st and I think on Bellevue and MacDonald Ave as well.

Needless to say the shit hit the fan over this little stunt. So last night Roadways had a brand new city of Calgary truck blocking access on 6st and Spiller.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 10:04 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Finally got down to the grounds today, mission accomplished!

-1 hamburger
-1 bag deep fried oreos
-1 bag cinnamon sugar mini-donuts

Next year I'm going to try those deep fried jelly beans.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hare Expert

I'm leaving soon, if anybody wants to come by for the last time, it's now. I'll also have some special behind the scenes photos of how mini doughnuts are born.

Protip: Those Little Donuts is by far the best value. Cin City charges some $5/dozen, the place that sells buckets charges $9/30, but Those Little Donuts charges $3.50/13 or $5/26. Use your discretion.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 12:11 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

'Those Little Donuts' are the only mini-donuts I'll eat. I have never had a mini-donut from a different vendor, and today was no exception.

I have to say I really enjoyed the deep fried oreos. I may have disgusted both Mrs. Bigtime and Littletime by eating the whole bag on my own!

"It if isn't overeatin', it's not Stampedin'!"

I also saw a Llama, they are the coolest. Oh and I rode the torpedo with Littletime at the military display, I love how everyone can live out a psuedo Dr. Strangelove moment!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 7:06 AM

I grabbed a bag of cotton candy, a bag of the mini donuts and a large cup of root bear, but thats the extent of the food consumption on the grounds today. Never again though will I make the mistake of not sitting down once, between the time I got off the CTrain just after 2pm until I sat down in my car at Crowfoot at 12:30 I didn't sit once, including through the entire grandstand show (which was phenomenal despite the technical issues with the overhead rigging which caused them to just replay video of that part from a previous night)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 9:13 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
'Those Little Donuts' are the only mini-donuts I'll eat. I have never had a mini-donut from a different vendor, and today was no exception.

I have to say I really enjoyed the deep fried oreos. I may have disgusted both Mrs. Bigtime and Littletime by eating the whole bag on my own!

"It if isn't overeatin', it's not Stampedin'!"

I also saw a Llama, they are the coolest. Oh and I rode the torpedo with Littletime at the military display, I love how everyone can live out a psuedo Dr. Strangelove moment!
That was an impressive display. I finally got to really see how big the C7/AR variants, MP5, and a good solid pistol are. Turns out the MP5 is my size. (C7 length of pull was a tad much and the machine guns obviously weren't meant to be fired standing) What really amazed me was how stupid some people were when they were handling them. I saw endless amounts of people either wave them around like toys or put their finger on the trigger, and some genius decided that because the Sig P225 wouldn't dry fire, it would be fixed by cocking it half a dozen times. I also saw a few people look down the barrels of various weapons. No wonder people think guns are dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I grabbed a bag of cotton candy, a bag of the mini donuts and a large cup of root bear, but thats the extent of the food consumption on the grounds today. Never again though will I make the mistake of not sitting down once, between the time I got off the CTrain just after 2pm until I sat down in my car at Crowfoot at 12:30 I didn't sit once, including through the entire grandstand show (which was phenomenal despite the technical issues with the overhead rigging which caused them to just replay video of that part from a previous night)
Was that the stuff that was $4/cup or so and was in a giant fake barrel? I meant to try that, but never got around to it. (I hope you bought your doughnuts from us)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:08 PM

Yep, the $5 for the large, $4 for the medium cup which wasn't too bad. Really no worse priced then at the movie theatres. And yes, I did get the mini donuts from you guys.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:11 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:40 PM
Watchin em grow

FIREWORKS!!!

I have a bunch of shots on my flickr page. They were taken from just off Blackfoot not too far past Highfield Road

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:54 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Great fireworks shots!

I took a few from my place on Saturday night, but the quality wasn't what I was hoping for.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 6:58 PM

Here's a few more firework shots. I had these in the Stampede photo thread but thought they'd get more eyeballs on them over here.

If you want to see a few more or seem them a little bigger here's a the link:
http://picasaweb.google.ca/trad16/Bo...eat=directlink[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 6:11 AM
Watchin em grow

Looks like you were sitting by the river?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFHeadstone View Post
Looks like you were sitting by the river?
Yup. It's my secret spot so don't tell anyone.

You don't as much of the city in the background from that location but it's like you're right in the middle of the show.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation