HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:54 PM
Sonoma Strong

i think it is a little too early to be judging in depth the quality of the architecture. there's not much to go on yet. however, based on what i have seen thus far, i would say this looks about as a good as any other terminal design in any other city. it certainly seems parts of it are 'airy'.

i have a soft spot for som's sfo international terminal. i know i'm biased but for me, no terminal is better.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 5:34 PM

Ed raises some valid points, in particular regarding the hulking concrete gate houses, those are a disaster. (I imagine they are dictated by new security issues following Sept. 11, it's a shame they aren't glass tho.) But his reputation for disliking everything hurts his credibility, especially considering he's never set foot inside the building. For the rest of us, as Northbay said, it's too early to pass judgement on the interior openness and everything else.

I think it's important to note that this is only phase one and is budgeted at ~$1.5 Billion, not the $4 Billion number that Ed mentioned earlier, altho the subsequent phases are planned to look similar architecturally.

Last edited by Steve2726; Jul 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
gothic? your assertion that bradley expansion combines somewhat gothic with culturally specific to googie is stretching it imho.

spanish clay tile shingles are about as emblematic of los angeles as crabgrass and california stucco (sarcasm intended).

i tend to side with the architects own assertion that the roofline was inspired by something as blatantly prosaic as "ocean waves" (whoaaa! what a concept, los angeles and ocean waaaaves? duuude! these guys like, totally deserve a pritzker!)

barajas is much more interesting and innovative from a purely structural standpoint than this, and much more daring. what we're getting is what the public works equivalent of a model home.

yea, i guess we disagree
If you look at the theme building as a pure form and not as representative of a style, what you have are ribs forming a vault. I won't take credit for this idea. I heard it in Vincent Scully's Introduction to Modern Architecture class.

A main element of the re-imagined entrance to Disney's CA Adventure will be buildings with spanish tile roofs. The entrance was inspired by 1920-1930's LA. I'd say that is as emblematic as it gets.

If Foster could win a Pritzker in part for designing an airport whose roofline was supposed to be culturally-specific by resembling a bird in flight and/or a calligraphic flourish, then you can't really discount an airport building on the basis of its prosaic symbolism alone.

Speaking of model or tract homes, you might want to do a little research before lavishing Barajas with such praise. The roof is prefabricated, modular construction. There could be nothing truly daring about the roof because that is where the architect decided to economize.

Last edited by LDVArch; Jul 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
Ed raises some valid points, in particular regarding the hulking concrete gate houses, those are a disaster. (I imagine they are dictated by new security issues following Sept. 11, it's a shame they aren't glass tho.)
You have to see them in person. They are not nearly as imposing as they look. And, one side of them will be covered in glass.

Don't see what security issues might have been involved? From my understanding, it was a solution to the need for jetways at two levels.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 4:20 PM

I've seen them from Westchester Pkwy as well as from inside planes on the tarmac and they seem quite imposing to me fwiw.

Here's a new video flythru-

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...20Non%20HD.wmv

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 5:11 PM
Sonoma Strong

looks open and airy to me.
i like the remodeled part as well.

the effectiveness of the dual level boarding is demonstrated in the video - the steady stream of arriving passengers doesn't interrupt the flow in the main terminal wing

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
I've seen them from Westchester Pkwy as well as from inside planes on the tarmac and they seem quite imposing to me fwiw.

Here's a new video flythru-

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...20Non%20HD.wmv
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

As to the flythru, take note of how the secured corridors leading to customs were fashioned as bridges cutting over the gate level. This is a much better design solution than what you have, for instance, at Foster's CLK. There you take an escalator to a very long, institutional underground corridor. Here, the arrival is as dramatic as the departure.

Take note as well of the rather unique ceiling of those bridges. That's actually an art installation. Both the south and north corridors will have the same canopy. The art installation is by local, but world-renowned artist Pae White.

Further along the path that arriving passengers will take there will be a very large Welcome Wall, made up of LED screens. Various concepts have been discussed for that --- Hollywood celebrities waving "hello" to arriving passengers or the LA Symphony playing.

There's also supposed to be another art installation in the general vicinity --- a work by Ball-Nogues Studio. You may be familiar with their amazing work. They did that installation with the steel orbs for the parking lot at the Santa Monica Place. This installation will hang in one of the light wells that will join the new core with the old core and that will house vertical circulation to the immigration and customs level.

Here is a preview of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dorv8I9irIo.

One more thing about those bridges. They've become quite trendy in airport architecture. Rogers uses them all over Barajas T4 to span lightwells, created for the purpose of bringing light down to the lower levels, including baggage claim. In that context, they can become quite maddening because you are required to traverse them just to remain on the same level and despite that the arrival corridor (in sections) remains quite dark and institutional.

At LAX, their purpose is also to bring light to levels which would not normally have light, the arrivals level. But, at LAX, they become a level all onto themselves. I also like the idea that they make a vague reference to our primary mode of transportation in LA, the freeways with their overpasses. Fentress even found a way to work this motif back into the old core building. But, more on that, when design details of the T4 connector are confirmed.

Last edited by LDVArch; Jul 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 9:23 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Are there any future plans to reclad the exterior of the old Bradley core so as to create a more harmonious look?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ Are there any future plans to reclad the exterior of the old Bradley core so as to create a more harmonious look?
There are, but nothing firm yet. LAWA wants to do something before the end of construction on the concourses and new core.

The last proposal included the following changes:

(1) New canopy, with a wavelike form, to replace the boxy canopy. The new canopy would be in white.

(2) Signage on the facade of TBIT to designate it as such.

(3) A lighting element along the edge of the cement guardrail across the street. This would be a ribbon of blue light that echoed the pylons at the entrance to the LAX.

(4) New entry doors and changes to the pavement.

There will be no changes, however, to the cladding of the old core.

In general, I think it was the designer's intent to eventually obscure the old TBIT core with everything else that was planned around it, including the new Central check-in area in front of it and the bridge that in later phases is supposed to connect the CTA with the satellite concourse behind TBIT West. There may even come a day when the old TBIT core is expendable under such a plan.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 6:25 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Three questions:

1) Will all international airlines not currently housed in TBIT relocate there once the midfield satellite concourse is done?

2) By "central check-in area," does that mean that all existing and prospective TBIT airlines will be consolidated in that facility?

3) If the answer to #2 is yes, would we be able to gut the old Bradley core and remake the lobby into concessions-only?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Three questions:

1) Will all international airlines not currently housed in TBIT relocate there once the midfield satellite concourse is done?

2) By "central check-in area," does that mean that all existing and prospective TBIT airlines will be consolidated in that facility?

3) If the answer to #2 is yes, would we be able to gut the old Bradley core and remake the lobby into concessions-only?
I'd say the best option after the new terminals are built where the current parking garages exist would be to tear down the current TBIT and make room for 3 or 4 more gates on the concourse currently under construction.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:42 PM
Sonoma Strong

agh. the video link doesnt work anymore!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Three questions:

Some answers:

1) Maybe. Before there is a final decision to build the midfield satellite, the Board will have to decide what it is going to do with the taxiways and runways on the North side. They are not properly spaced at this time.

One plans calls for them to be moved closer to the terminals on the north side. If that happens, many gates could be lost at Terminals 1, 2, and 3.

International airlines operating out of Terminal 2 would be most affected. I could see many of them returning to TBIT and the new midfield satellite that would have to be built to accommodate them.

2) The Central Check-in area is intended to replace the departure lobbies of all the terminals. It would be built where the parking garages are now in the Central Terminal Area (CTA). Honestly, I don't understand the rational for this, unless it resulted in more gates on the piers. It would also require a monorail transportation system to and from the CTA and parking garages built offsite.

3) Maybe, you are on to something. If ticketing and check-in were moved to a building where the garages are, the Board could expand the retail and food offerings in the departure lobbies. The current departure lobbies could become one big mall. That seems to be happening everywhere else. It could happen here.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 8:57 PM

I was looking at the LA World Airports website and it looks like there is very good progress on the Bradley West Terminal project. This is going to be a great facility when completed.

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/lax/...cam1&page=pano

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 11:09 PM

I'm happy to report that I flew in and out of Terminal 3 last week and it looks like Virgin America is having a positive impact on that terminal. They share it with Alaskan Air and AirTran. All sorts of construction going on and what's been completed so far looks great. If anyone flew out of Terminal 3 before Virgin moved in, you know that it was disgusting.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 1:31 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ What construction is going on? Or do you mean cosmetic work?

I flew out of Terminal 3 last year and it was still, for the most part, the bland terminal I've always known it to be.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 6:29 PM

Quote:
^ What construction is going on? Or do you mean cosmetic work?

I flew out of Terminal 3 last year and it was still, for the most part, the bland terminal I've always known it to be.
A lot of cosmetic work, but also some heavy construction at the escalators connecting the upper and lower level. They had lots of barricades up so you couldn't really see what was going on in a lot of places, but it seems pretty substantial.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 10:52 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Here's the latest photo update on the progress of the Bradley West project:

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...%209-21-11.pdf

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:22 PM
BANNED

^haha now try and tell me that looks "light and airy"

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 12:11 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
^haha now try and tell me that looks "light and airy"
I have to say, after being in the Munich Airport and the Coppenhagen Airport, the new LAX could be better. Of course, after it it painted all white, it will look a lot brighter, but there is definitely room for improvement. A little disappointing, but certainly nicer then what we have now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation