HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 5:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
The current design for the spire calls for 20 foot high chunks to be hoisted and bolted into place. In the interest of cost it wont be fabricated until just before they are ready for it. (Like the steel for the rest of the building.)

Why not make it in bigger pieces ? Because the tower cranes can't lift them. The spire will weigh about a ton per foot.
Yeah, this will be a massive spire/mast. I don't think people are grasping that just yet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 1:01 PM

FOX NEWS to Launch Year Long World Trade Center Series

http://www.suite101.com/content/fox-...series-a282376

Quote:
- FOX NEWS will take the viewer behind the fence to witness the progress of the construction for themselves. Viewers can also follow the developments on FOX’s website. A visit to Ground Zero’s sixteen acres can leave one wondering why the sacred spot is still scarred and seemingly barren.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, this will be a massive spire/mast. I don't think people are grasping that just yet.
Oh we grasp it, all 403' of it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 1:51 PM
Editor

@SkyscrapersOfNewYork: Lovely images, the tower is so pretty! Thanks for taking all the images. I collect all of them.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 2:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post
Not just speaking the length of it, which will be a little more than 403'. Think more in terms of the Empire State's mast and less in terms of recent spires like the Times, Bofa, or Trump Tower Chicago.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 4:41 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

The New York Times has an awesome slideshow of the WTC site with some pretty nice behind the scenes shots:

Tangible Progress at the World Trade Center

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 4:55 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The New York Times has an awesome slideshow of the WTC site with some pretty nice behind the scenes shots:

Tangible Progress at the World Trade Center
Nice article - but what is with the total omission of Silverstein? It basically said, "the Port Authority is doing a great job doing everything, aren't they?"

I'm sure we all have different opinions about the PA, but seriously - their stubbornness and power grabbing with this project has been a big part of the delays.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 5:15 PM

I yield the floor.

Last edited by Onn; Sep 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 6:08 PM

World Trade Center Complex Is Rising Rapidly

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/ny...o.html?_r=2&hp

Quote:
The pace of construction is so swift that any status report these days gets overtaken rapidly by the arrival of new beams and columns, rebar and concrete, pipes and conduit. About 2,000 construction workers are on the job, weekends included, officials said, and that number will just keep rising. Visiting the site brings to mind the tumultuous first impressions of arrival in New York City: people, vehicles and objects are headed toward you from every direction at startling velocity, and the only prudent thing to do is to keep moving.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 7:44 PM
Astorian

September 4th, 2010

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Nice article - but what is with the total omission of Silverstein? It basically said, "the Port Authority is doing a great job doing everything, aren't they?"

I'm sure we all have different opinions about the PA, but seriously - their stubbornness and power grabbing with this project has been a big part of the delays.
I really don't understand how you perceived the article to be praising the Port Authority. From the article:

"Two years ago, it was difficult to imagine how the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site of the trade center and is building most of it, could ever finish the eight-acre memorial in time for the 10th anniversary of the attack, on Sept. 11, 2011. [PA in NEGATIVE LIGHT]

"So many conflicting demands were imposed on the site — it was to be a solemn memorial, a soaring commercial complex, a vital transportation hub, a vibrant retail destination and the keystone in Lower Manhattan’s revival — that none could advance. [PA and politics at large, yet again NEGATIVE]

... and finally ...

"In 2008, prodded in part by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who heads the memorial foundation, the Port Authority adopted new schedules, approaches and construction techniques." [PA had to be pushed, NEGATIVE ONCE AGAIN]

The article only praises the work post-2008, and it accomplishes this precisely by illustrating how BADLY the PA was run before. Read more carefully next time.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 1:43 AM

he's talking about the fact that they don't even mention silverstein in any of the comments....

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Well, I don't care about any of that. We all know that the entire site is active now, and two towers are now above street level. The media has been catching up as well, as will eventually those who like to talk of long "delays" and "inactivity" at the site, blah, blah, blah.

Back to the topic at hand:

sandwiches

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 4:43 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not just speaking the length of it, which will be a little more than 403'. Think more in terms of the Empire State's mast and less in terms of recent spires like the Times, Bofa, or Trump Tower Chicago.
It'll be the first real mast (as opposed to a mere pole) built in NYC in a long, long time - perhaps the first one anywhere, on that scale (unless the top 100 stories or so of the BD qualify as one, I guess). I think the FT will come to be recognized as the ESB of the 21st century.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 5:11 PM

Thumbs up

I AGREE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
It'll be the first real mast (as opposed to a mere pole) built in NYC in a long, long time - perhaps the first one anywhere, on that scale (unless the top 100 stories or so of the BD qualify as one, I guess). I think the FT will come to be recognized as the ESB of the 21st century.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 5:40 PM
Ω

I think what the media doesn't understand is how long it takes to develop a skyscraper. And in this case, it was removing the debris of two 110 story buildings, planning new train lines and streets, four skyscrapers, an underground complex, and a memorial. That honestly takes about a decade to figure out and build, especially in downtown Manhattan.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 5:51 PM

I think 1 WTC makes an interesting parallel with the Empire State Building, which was also by far the biggest project going on in Manhattan and was also built during really bad economic times (the Great Depression) when other projects were being cancelled.

Depending on how long this recession drags on, I think the fact that 1 WTC is being built in spite of it (and providing economic activity during it) will someday become a big part of the narrative of this project.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 6:01 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I think what the media doesn't understand is how long it takes to develop a skyscraper. And in this case, it was removing the debris of two 110 story buildings, planning new train lines and streets, four skyscrapers, an underground complex, and a memorial. That honestly takes about a decade to figure out and build, especially in downtown Manhattan.
exactly. and it's not just the media, it's the people in general. i've given up explaining to colleagues and friends how complex the whole WTC actually is.

btw lovely night shots NYCLuver!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 6:38 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post
It's actually 441' 4". The spire sits on the roof (1,334' 8") not the top of the parapet (1,368').

This print also shows the thickened slab under the spire and the slab opening in the center for all the wiring.

And the unmistakable base surrounded by cooling towers.

The square structure around the base is just to keep the hole in the roof out of the weather and give them a place to hang lights (the dashed lines and circles).

OK, I'm off to play with the girls in the pool and eat some american barbi.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Sep 6, 2010 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I think you're being alittle too lenient. The removal of debris from the World Trade Center was quite fast, from (September 2001 - May 2002) when it was expected to take much longer. If they had a new plan in place like they did with the new 7 WTC, construction could have commenced in 2002 or 2003 on the new Towers but Libeskind's Master Plan wasn't picked until 2003 and then the focus was on Freedom Tower only, which had to undergo several changes in the design. Then the NYPD had to step in and demand the Tower be pushed away West Street to prevent another Truck Bombing. Finally in 2006, Silverstein released the designs for Towers 2, 3, and 4 which we all thought would be done by 2011 or 2012. The Port Authority was too slow in excavating the sites for the 3 Towers, preventing Silverstein from obtaining any financing before the Economy collapsed. At least now we are back on track with construction so hopefully we can at least get Towers 1 and 4 done by 2013, the Memorial and Museum done by 2012 or 2013, the Transportation Hub by 2014, and Towers 2 and 3 sometime within this decade. I could really care less what happens with the Performing Arts Center and Tower 5 although it would be a nice way to fill up the Downtown Manhattan Skyline even more. As amazing as the New World Trade Center Office Towers will look when completed, the most important project that needs to get completed first is the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive