HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Nov 28, 2005, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy
Borders Books and Music has announced it will formally open a 21,000-square-foot store in the downtown center in the second quarter of 2006. The long-rumored store will be the first large-scale retail store in the Pike.

That should really help the hood's synergy. I believe the only other large bookstore nearest to that right now is several miles away on Bellflower blvd near the 405, or the Barnes/Noble in the LB Towne Ctr next to the 605.
Yeah, there is also a Barnes & Noble at the Marina Pacifica near PCH and 2nd Street. But this Borders Bookstore in downtown is a nice addition! I am very curious as to what other retail will come to downtown. :nuts:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2005, 10:02 PM

Good to see its now offically reported in the media. My nephew works at Gameworks in the same complex, and a few weeks ago he was telling me that Borders was moving in for sure. I was just waiting to see it announced to the public to know its official. BTW they already started preparing the space. Its one of the reasons I ask my nephew if something was going on because I noticed work on that space.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2005, 7:32 AM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2005, 8:37 AM

October Five Development has posted a 3D video of the Press Telegram towers project, here are some screen shots of the video:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2005, 6:56 PM

Lofts popping up everywhere

Loft buildings continue to blossom across downtown
By Don Jergler, Staff writer

LONG BEACH — There's a turnaround taking place downtown — out of empty lots, old apartments, long-forgotten department stores and rundown office buildings have arisen a host of loft developments that are pushing up the area's income demographic, preserving its historic past and giving homes to urban professionals.

"Downtown Long Beach is exactly the sort of environment you want to see when you're an urban loft developer," said Scott Choppin, with Long Beach-based Urban Pacific Builders, which has eight active loft projects in the Western United States, including two in downtown Long Beach.

The area has 11 loft projects complete or under development more if you count condo projects that may include some units as lofts for more than 500 units.

The general guideline developers use for lofts include large single rooms in typically urban areas that tend to have high ceilings, open floor plans and large windows. Lofts in downtown Long Beach often taken on an industrial feel, with exposed ducting, concrete floors and brick work often left as is.

On Thursday, the Planning Commission will vote whether to give final approval to the Newberry project, now called 433 Pine after its address.

The old J.J. Newberry Department Store has been pegged for an 18-unit upscale loft project worth more than $7 million, with more than 6,000 square feet of retail below the residential.

The architects are Long Beach-based Interstices, the design team behind neighboring Kress and Walker lofts. Interstices has designed a stepped-back structure to allow Kress tenants to keep their views looking south on Pine, and to respect the views of Walker tenants looking north on Pine.

The former five-and-dime , built in the early 1950s and shuttered in 1994, will get an exterior face lift. The two-story building will rise to four stories and include a mezzanine on the first level that counts as a floor.

The upper portions of the building's facade are designed to reduce the scale and provide individuality to the loft-style residential units, said architect Jonathan Glasgow, a principal with Interstices.

"The project respects its historic neighbors, but it doesn't mimic them," Glasgow said. "We're really trying to create more of a Zen building. People who buy lofts, they want to do their own thing within their own space. The simpler, the better."

He described the interior as a "slicked out club-type atmosphere," with white drywall, nice lighting and ceilings up to 14 feet.

Plans call for groundbreaking in March, with project completion tentatively slated for the end of 2006.

The Newberry developer believes such loft developments are raising the standard of living in downtown.

"Life in Long Beach is probably going to be better than Manhattan Beach one day; we're very optimistic," said Ray Alyeshmerni, with L.A.-based Western Imperial LLC.

He said the lofts will average 1,400 square feet and some units will have two stories. Prices have not yet been determined.

Among other loft projects proposed downtown, the Press-Telegram has sold its building, a downtown landmark since 1925, to developers who plan to build two high-rise towers featuring 482 residential urban lofts under a $138 million proposal, and plans are under way for a 30-unit loft project at Broadway and Linden Avenue in the East Village Arts District.

All in all, about 10 percent of units being developed or planned downtown are going to be lofts, said Kraig Kojian, president and CEO of the Downtown Long Beach Associates, which markets downtown.

Kojian sees the addition of loft residents as a way to bring more retailers. He says loft dwellers will likely boost the area's average income, since they tend to be single, childless couples or empty-nesters who tend to have higher incomes.

Lofts are also helping supply the area much-needed housing.

A building stalemate in the 1990s added less than 1 percent to the city's housing stock in that decade. With the anticipated addition of up to 50,000 jobs to the city by 2015, economists estimate 33,000 new units will be required to keep pace.

Another 10,000 residents are expected to move downtown in the next few years. Because loft developments lend themselves to urban infill, downtown could handle even more such projects, said Jae Von Klug of the Long Beach Redevelopment Agency.

"We could easily see at least another dozen in the next five to seven years," she said.

Choppin believes downtown lofts will continue to be developed as the demand keeps apace.

"There are more people looking for lofts than there are lofts in downtown Long Beach," said Choppin, the developer of CityPlace Lofts, a two-building project surrounding Albertsons in downtown that will yield 72 lofts from 950 square feet to 4,000 square feet with prices from the low $400,000s to the low $1 million range.

The first phase is expected to be complete in April, and a second phase is about a year out.

Choppin is also a developer on Promenade Lofts at Broadway and The Promenade, 39 units priced from the low $800,000s to $1.2 million set for completion in about 14 months, though difficulties with the Long Beach Cultural Heritage Commission over a mural on the spot have delayed the project.

On the whole, the area's historical preservationists look at lofts as an ideal way to preserve the city's historical feel.

They hold up the 11-unit Insurance Exchange, $1-million-plus lofts in a long-abandoned men's store on The Promenade, and the Walker building as examples of historical preservation and adaptive reuse.

"There's been really good exterior preservation," said Dan Pressberg of the commission. "Nobody wanted to see the Insurance Exchange building torn down, and I would rather see something like that than I would see a building go down."

Considering the limited number of ways to develop the city's historic building stock, lofts are "probably going to be the only way we're going to be able to go from here on out," Pressberg added.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2005, 1:11 AM

Shoreline Gateway Project

The city of Long Beach has released the Environmental Impact Report for the Shoreline Gateway Project. You can find it here:
http://www.longbeach.gov/plan/pb/epd/er.asp

The city wants the publics opinion on this project due to its proposed height and location. I am going to write a letter in support of this project because the residents in the Villa Riviera Tower accross the street (south east) don't want anything to rise on that corner because it will "block their views". These residents will write tons of letters saying why it shouldn't go up for all the wrong reasons. I hate these NIMBYs living in downtown Long Beach.

Summary:

The project proposes a mixed-use development involving a 22-story residential tower at the northwest corner of Ocean Boulevard and Alamitos Avenue, a 15- to 19-story stepped slab building west of the existing Lime Avenue and Ocean Boulevard intersection and a 10-story building northeast of the existing Artaban building. The proposed buildings would be situated over a two-story podium of residential, retail and live/work units, resulting in a maximum height of 24-, 21- and 12-stories, respectively, from grade. Development of the project would allow up to 365 residential units including live/work spaces, townhomes, one to three bedroom apartments, and penthouse units and associated amenities.

The project proposes locating live/work units adjacent to Ocean Boulevard and townhouse units adjacent to the Bronce Way alley and Medio Street. The proposal would involve relocating the existing Bronce Way alley northward to the edge of the project site providing direct access to the proposed townhouse units. A maximum of 20,000 square feet of ground floor retail, art gallery, café and civic space uses would front the proposed residential tower and stepped slab building on Ocean Boulevard. Lime Avenue between Medio Street and Ocean Boulevard would be vacated to allow for an elliptical-shaped paseo between these buildings.

Parking for approximately 860 cars would be provided in three subterranean parking levels and in a concealed parking structure located at-grade and one level above-grade. The parking structure would be concealed from the public by the proposed live/work and townhouse units and the proposed retail uses. Additionally, a residential garden would be located directly above the structure, surrounded by the existing Artaban building on the west and proposed residential uses on the north, east and south. Vehicular access to the project site would occur from Atlantic Avenue, Ocean Boulevard and at the western terminus of Medio Street. Project development would result in the removal of 63 multiple-family residential units and approximately 20,980 square feet of retail, restaurant and office uses.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2005, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy
[b]Choppin believes downtown lofts will continue to be developed as the demand keeps apace.

"There are more people looking for lofts than there are lofts in downtown Long Beach," said Choppin, the developer of CityPlace Lofts, a two-building project surrounding Albertsons in downtown that will yield 72 lofts from 950 square feet to 4,000 square feet with prices from the low $400,000s to the low $1 million range.

I wonder if many ppl who are buying or renting in DT LB also have considered buying or renting in DTLA, & the other way around, or if the 2 hoods are like separate islands in LA county?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 6:22 PM

not sure? But I do think that Downtown Long Beach is coming into its own and a lot of people are not aware of what it has to offer. I know that the Dontown Long Beach Associates are planning on having more open house events (similar to LA's loft tours)... to showcase some of the upcoming developments!

Long Beach is a great city and its only getting better. In just a few years it will have 8 new 20+ story towers. But even on this forum... not many people are interested in LB... we need more LB fourmers!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 6:58 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Everyone I know who has either bought a condo or leased office space in DT LB recently didn't even look at or consider downtown LA. In fact, most of them looked in Orange County, found prices too expensive, then went to Long Beach and are very happy with their choice so far.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 8:42 PM

Talking

Yeah... Long Beach has had a flurry of restaurants and shops open up recently (along Pine and the Pike). In addition, the following are set to open up real soon:

Spanish Cuisine

Comedy Club

Grurmet Pizza

Boiokstore/Coffee House

BBQ Joint

Beer/Wine and Food Joint

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 9:09 PM

Yeah these are exciting times for downtown Long Beach, can't wait for Borders Books to open. Even though its a national chain I think it will make a nice additon along with the already existiing indie book stores we have.

I love downtown Los Angeles, and had it been another time in my life it certainly would have been a consideration. I have a friend who lives down at the Promenade Condos directly across from the Disney Hall. I'm a little jealous because she's closer to much of the city's attractions, plus all of the beautiful skyscrapers surrounding her. Long Beach would proably still be my 1st choice since I like urban living, along with ocean front living, and we have both. In some ways downtown LB is ahead of LA's. We already have several grocery stores, plus plenty of night life, and two movie theaters. We also have a several museums, a syphony, and several small live theaters. I love living here, and the way things are looking I may not be moving to Chicago after all. My condo isn't selling right now, so I took if off the market. My financial situation may be inproving in the coming weeks so who knows. In a way I still want to move just for a change, but maybe I move in about a year. I hope I can just keep my condo and perhaps just rent it out. So when I decide to return to southern california I'll have a place to live.

Okay now I'll be on my way out the door for a workout on my rollerblades. I'll be enjoying a beach front view, and getting some exercise before I head out to work this evening.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisla
I love living here, and the way things are looking I may not be moving to Chicago after all.

Your photo essays of LA/SoCA have been among the best at SSP! I hope this means we'll continue to see them in the future.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 11:53 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I love Long Beach and would live there if I didn't work in Chatsworth. The city has really transformed in the last few years and the location right on the water can't be beat.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisla
I'm a little jealous because she's closer to much of the city's attractions, plus all of the beautiful skyscrapers surrounding her.

It wasn't too long ago that would have been hard to say about ppl living in either DTLA or DTLB. But now with all the changes underway in both hoods, I think they're moving on up, getting closer to the level of better urban hoods throughout the US or world.

BTW, the Alexan condos in DTLA, in Little Tokyo, finally have opened their model units & someone I know who lives in DT (& who I once felt kind of sorry for because of her hood, but who I'm now starting to envy) says sales there have been very strong.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 11:58 PM

I wish you could just transfer ALL the high rises of DTLA to LB and just called it LA. The location at LB has the ocean which is SUCH A nice perk!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 8:17 PM

L.B.: C'mon and take a free ride
By Nedra Lindsey, Staff writer

LONG BEACH — Two days of free rides on a new express bus service are scheduled to begin Monday.
The kick-off celebration for Metro Line 577X will take place at 10 a.m. at the Veterans Affairs Long Beach Healthcare System Hospital, 5901 E. Seventh St.

"I'm very excited about this new service," said Bonnie Lowenthal, a Long Beach councilwoman and Metropolitan Transportation Authority board member. "It will make traveling so much easier and quicker for folks going to work and home to their families."

The Metro Express Line 577X, from Long Beach to El Monte via the San Gabriel River (605) Freeway, will give riders a chance to shave more than a half an hour from their morning and evening commutes, MTA officials said.

"This is actually an effort to help shorten the commute time for riders," said Dave Sotero, senior public communications officer. "The entire trip is 50 minutes, end-to-end, and going one way, that same journey if people didn't utilize (carpool) lanes would take significantly longer."

In Long Beach, the MTA bus will pick riders up on Seventh Street at Cal State Long Beach. The bus will also stop twice at the VA hospital.

Other stops include the Metro Green Line Station on Hoxie Avenue in Norwalk and the El Monte Transit Center.

The El Monte Transit center is the largest bus hub in county, with 20,000 passengers boarding buses daily.

The bus will use high occupancy vehicle, or HOV, lanes during peak weekday traffic along the freeway at rush hour.

It is only the second express bus service offered by the MTA.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes from 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

They will leave every 30 minutes between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

After 8 p.m and up to 11 p.m., buses depart every hour.

For information, visit www.metro.net.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2005, 8:31 PM

Council getting a leg up on transport?
By Jason Gewirtz, Staff writer

LONG BEACH — First a monorail. Then mounted horses. Now pedicabs.

The City Council on Tuesday will consider the latest plan to provide transportation and atmosphere for downtown: pedicabs that will whisk people around by leg-power.

The proposal would permit a Colorado-based company to operate up to 20 pedicabs in a zone that will include Pine Avenue, the Pike at Rainbow Harbor, the East Village Arts District, the Promenade, Shoreline Village and the Aquarium of the Pacific.

A ride would cost $1 for each 1/10th of a mile. The rate would be determined by an odometer placed on the bicycle's wheel.

Downtown Long Beach Associates first proposed the idea as a way to get people through the bustling downtown's growing attractions, said Kraig Kojian, DLBA president and CEO.

"We're totally supportive," he said.

The move comes after several abandoned proposals to build a monorail connecting downtown's attractions. In recent weeks, the council has also debated the addition of mounted police to add to the downtown scene.

Kojian said pedicabs would be more practical. "They don't litter," he said.

The Long Beach Municipal Code has a section governing pedicab operations, even though city officials have no recollection of pedicab service being offered in the city, said Jim Goodin, the city's business services officer. San Diego and Huntington Beach offer pedicab service in their downtowns.

Under the deal to be considered Tuesday, operators would be allowed to pedal anywhere in a zone from the Los Angeles River to Alamitos Boulevard and from Eighth Street to the ocean. Customers would be able to hop on wherever they like, although the pedicabs are expected to concentrate along Pine Avenue and the attractions south of Ocean Boulevard.

"The pedicab drivers are going to go where the business is," Goodin said.

Long Beach Pedicabs LLC is the proposed operator, although its corporate office is in Broomfield, Colo.

Tax measures?

Also Tuesday, the City Council will hear results of a recent polling regarding several potential ballot measures in 2006.

The city is considering a range of potential tax increases to pay for libraries, police and other services. The report from a city-hired political consultant is expected to provide the results of two recent telephone surveys made of likely voters.

The results will be discussed at a 2 p.m. workshop.

Jason Gewirtz can be reached at (562) 499-1373.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2005, 5:55 PM

Art of the vine

Mary Kittrelle likes food, wine, music and paintings, and you'll experience her exquisite taste in all four when you visit CasaVino in downtown Long Beach

Wine, women and song. Whichever prehistoric man first came up with that idea must have been a genius.
In those long-ago days, all there was to eat were grubs and weeds, and when you came home from work, the only thing on the wall were some primitive cave cartoons.

But the humans of today are more complex. They want good things to eat and delicious eye candy. So Mary Kittrelle added "food" and "art" to the ancient equation for happiness.

Actually, she also subtracted "women," but I can understand that because women today are too expensive. Only kidding.

So if you're strolling down Pine Avenue in downtown Long Beach and head south across Ocean Boulevard and on down the hill, look up and you'll see it's all there for you at a storefront at 51 S. Pine. The sign overhead says: "Wine, Art, Music & Food." It's CasaVino, and there's nothing else like it in this area.

Kittrelle used to work in corporate finance for Avery Dennison in Pasadena, and wine was her hobby. "I was going to wine tastings at various wine shops," she said in a phone interview this week, "but it would be like in the back room of the shop, so there wouldn't be much atmosphere, no comfortable seating and no food to speak of. Despite all that, they would sell out. People would just flock to these things."

Her epiphany came when she visited a wine bar in Los Angeles: "I said, 'Wow! This is what I like. This atmosphere is what I like. And there needs to be more of them.

"It was a time of my career where I was looking for the next opportunity. I have an MBA from UCLA, so I always had an interest in business, and I was looking to expose myself to other facets of business."

Kittrelle's niece is an artist and was attending Cal State Long Beach. Through her, Kittrelle came to downtown Long Beach and was excited by the redevelopment and the arts community. Her concept was to expand on the wine bar format by offering more food and incorporating art. "And the real estate was cheaper, honestly," she said.

She settled on an empty store that had once been a day spa, and "with all the delays," it took her a year to get ready. She finally opened in January.

I first visited her place many months ago and enjoyed the cuisine of Chef David Escandell. Just when I was ready to review it, the chef moved on, and the new chef Robert Buck naturally changed some things and began cooking his way. So I waited to see what would happen.

Well, not really much happened. The food is slightly different but still excellent, and the service and ambience is as pleasant as ever. When I ate there, only two entrees a night were offered, for about $16 to $20. Now there are four, and Buck says that soon this will be expanded to six. This does not include the selection of individual gourmet pizzas.

Everything I tried at CasaVino ranged from good to excellent, including:

Flank steak. Fresh steak is marinated overnight in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. It's sauteed to order in olive oil and butter and cut in "ribbons," according to Buck. "If you think of flank steak as a hand, you cut it so that the fingers open."

Polenta. The steak is served on top of polenta, corn meal that is cooked in a double boiler with butter, olive oil and salt. It's put on the plate, and then blue cheese is crumbled over it, and the steak goes on top. So the cheese melts between the steak and polenta.

Baby spinach. The steak plate has one more element, a ring of "gently sauteed baby spinach," as described by Buck. Baby spinach is "the young leaf of the spinach that has a sweet, tenderer texture," said Buck. "The stems aren't as long." By "gently sauteed," he means that the olive oil is not heated up before the spinach is added. The oil and spinach are combined, put on the burner and heated up together.

Chicken paprika. This was great in the version by the previous chef and also terrific a la Buck. An 8-ounce chicken breast is butterflied and browned on both sides in extra virgin olive oil. Then it's oven-roasted. The drippings from the chicken are combined with dry white wine, paprika, caramelized onions and roasted red bell peppers to make the sauce.

Oven-roasted potatoes. These come with the chicken. They are "usually russet, because the flavor is heartier with the chicken." They are roasted with rosemary, olive oil and paprika.

Toasted formaggio. One of the many interesting "small bites" — call them appetizers or tapas if you are confused — they are made from baby brie that's topped with honey and fresh slivered almonds, then toasted in the oven and served with a garnish of baby greens - a blend of organic red and green romaine, red and green oak leaf lettuce, spinach, mizuna, arugula, frisee and radicchio — Jana gold apples and multi-grain crackers.

Mixed green salad. This is the same greens, plus julienne red onions and fresh Roma tomatoes, tossed in a light vinaigrette. It costs $5 a la carte, but if you order an entre, you can get one for $2.95.

Caesar salad. Hearts of romaine are mixed with homemade croutons — pieces of French baguette covered with paprika, infused with olive oil and baked — freshly grated Parmesan cheese, black pepper and a Caesar dressing from a purveyor. Buck is working on his own Caesar dressing and promises to premiere it in January.

Stuffed tomatoes. The halved and cored Roma tomatoes are mixed with fresh oven-roasted garlic, basil pesto from a purveyor (Buck also has plans to make this from scratch) and sun-dried tomatoes, then topped with goat cheese and baked in the oven.

Croustades. This appetizer is made from white bread that's toasted with olive oil and cut into round pieces. The pieces are topped with caramelized onions and disks of goat cheese.

Chocolate mousse cake. It's from a purveyor, and it's a tasty version and popular with chocolate lovers like myself.

Buck was born and raised in Long Beach and attended Hoover and Jordan. His first job in a restaurant was at 15, and he's made pizza for the Italian Brewery in Huntington Harbor, cooked soups from a coffee base at the Dockside Brewery in Marina Pacifica, and made stuffed mushrooms at Limerick's.

For six or seven years he dropped out of creating food to do construction, sales, poetry and music, but CasaVino drew him back to kitchen creativity.

You can enjoy Buck's creations with Voss mineral water or sparkling apple cider, but if you appreciate wine, CasaVino is twice as much fun.

There are many wines by the glass available. "My philosophy is I like variety," says Kittrelle, "so we try to get wines that represent different regions of the world, not just California wines. We have different varietals (from different grapes) and different prices." A glass can vary from $5 to $15, and bottles from $20 to mid-$60s.

It's fun tasting the different wines from everywhere, but even more fun are the flights. These are 2 to 2 1/2-ounce samples of three or four wines, arranged on a platter the way they are listed on the menu, that are arranged around a theme, such as Italian whites or Spanish reds. "It gives people an opportunity to compare and contrast different wines," said Kittrelle. "It gets people talking about the wine and sharing their experiences and their opinions." The wine flights are usually around $10 or $11.

The art is by local artists, usually one or two at a time. The art is changed every two or three months, and all the artwork is for sale.

As for music, that takes place almost every Saturday in the form of an acoustic guitarist and vocalists singing mostly folk and pop tunes. There's so much musical talent in this area, that the quality is pretty high. On the first Friday of the month, there is a jazz guitarist. "When we don't have live music, we play our iPod shuffle," says Kittrelle.

Do you like wine, art, music and food? Do you like them even better if they're all good, all in one place and offered in a friendly, unpretentious atmosphere? Then there's finally a place for you in downtown Long Beach: CasaVino.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2005, 6:13 PM

Lofts In Store For Old Newbury Space

By Kurt Helin
Editor

It’s a perfect example of the changes in downtown Long Beach in the past 50 years.

In 1951, the national department store chain Newbury opened a two-story, 15,000-square-foot department store on Pine Avenue between Fourth and Fifth streets. It was, with Woolworth and other stores, part of a shopping hub on Pine Avenue in the years after World War II.

But as things changed downtown over the decades — new shopping trends, changes in housing and demographics and the decline of the Pike — Newbury’s fell on hard times, as did the “Main Street” feel of Pine.

For more than a dozen years, Newbury’s has sat empty.

Now, a new owner and developer have stepped forward with plans for loft housing and retail stores to fill the space.

Those plans got a nod of approval from the Planning Commission last week.

Interstices Developers plans to have 18 residential units on the site, which will turn the existing two-story building into a four-story structure by constructing a new floor on top and turning the two existing floors into three. About 6,500 square-feet of retail space will be on the ground floor.

The residential units will range in size from 1,100 to 2,000 square feet, larger than some of the other new building projects downtown, company officials told the Planning Commission. Each will have an outdoor patio, plus the project has a roof deck that will be open for use by the tenants.

The basement of the building will be converted to a garage, with 35 parking spaces.

All that work will alter and modernize the façade of the historic building — for example, the rather blank building façade will be replaced by windows. However, special efforts have been made to make sure the building fits in with the historic street, such as using smooth stucco and exposed steel, as the buildings on either side of it do now.

While the Planning Commission had some questions about how it fit historically and the parking (which did not meet city code), it approved the new project unanimously.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2005, 6:14 PM

New Promenade Project Gets Council’s Approval

By Kurt Helin
Editor

With one new building on its way up, the City Council has approved a second construction project for the Promenade.

Lennar Developers plans to build a 62-unit condominium and town home project on the southeast corner of the Promenade and Broadway, and council members quickly backed the plan.

The land is currently a parking lot. The city owns the 30,000-square-foot property and is selling it to Lennar for $1.8 million.

Not all of that is cash. About $1.2 million is, and will go to the Redevelopment Agency coffers. The rest will be in-kind work by the developer to add trees and improve the Promenade (following already finished guidelines). Some of it also will go to a public art project in the area.

The building will fit in with the other development sprouting up downtown, the designers said. There will be retail on the ground floor with several small shops. Above that will be 48 condominiums, ranging from one to three bedrooms.

What is different is that there also will be 14 three-bedroom town homes.

Council members had some questions about the amount of parking for the site, but were told that the developer had altered the plans to make sure that the parking amount matched city code.

There was no discussion of density issues that have come when the council looked at other downtown development plans. A few weeks ago the council asked about setting up some kind of special property or development tax downtown to add money to the police budget to help with the growing population density downtown. That is expected to come back after the first of the year.

The council approved the project unanimously. Details, including who the retail tenants would be, still need to be approved by the RDA board. That body has signed off on the general design plans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West